GT5 Rear View Mirror

  • Thread starter Thread starter Cobra_NZ
  • 46 comments
  • 5,376 views
I wouldn't be surprised if all rear view mirrors use the same view and just show you different parts of the FOV.

Possibly, rendered with quite a wide angle which could add to lowering the quality when the parts are drawn onto the mirrors.
 
I think that too much details in the rear mirror will be too much for the "driver's eye".
What I mean is that the point of that mirror is the driver to look back and know what's happening in a friction of a second. Basically, the driver wants to know how many cars behind, their location (left/right side) and distance.
I think that too much details might cause this "task" to take longer and might hurt the driver from keep driving in the same pace.

I agree. It's not like you have to watch the rear mirror all the time, you only look at it for a brief moment. I didn't even noticed watching the Nurburgring video that there was a big loss of detail, I was focusing on everything BUT the rear mirror. :) So no big deal for me, but I can understand that some (or most?) people find this somewhat unacceptable. The more detail (also realism), the better, but i'm sure there is a reason for it.
 
Last edited:
Its still a big improvement from GT5 Prologue. When the Ferrari California for GT5 Prologue was released I felt that there was some kind of improvement allready. The TT Demo was fine with me, but there were no competitors, so its hard to tell how good/bad it actually looks.

If they have to have low res, low detail mirrors, but give us good visuals for the cockpit its fine with me. I just need the rear view mirror to check the position of my competitors on the track and I don't need to be able to read their numberplates. But you definately see a difference in quality compared to the other parts of the game, but I don't think its a major letdown.
GT5 is not out yet, so improvement on such minor problems might still happen at the end of the developmentphase or might even be patched afterwards.
 
The simple fact is, they have already listened to the complaints, put in on their to-do list and implemented it. This is presumably their final improvement, which is a vast improvement over the likes of GT5:Prologue spec I.

Yet people are still complaining.

Welcome to GTPlanet.
 
Who gives a damn about the rear view mirror detail? Some people doesn't understand that hardware power is limited and developers face compromises. Reading things like "it's been in developement for so long I'd expect better than this..." in the OP just makes my eyes roll... wake up mate, it can be in developement 10 years more and it won't look massively better.

I understand the performance issues, given I used to play racing sims on my old crappy PC and would have to completely turn off the rear view mirror during the start of a race just to get a reasonable framerate, then turn it back on later. However in my experience the biggest performance drop is from having the mirror there in the first place (ie. going from no mirror to a mirror will give you a framerate hit), however going from a low quality mirror to a high quality mirror isn't nearly as big of a deal, at least on PC games.

But whatever, its all compromises, PD will make the compromises they see fit, which probably wont be the compromises I like because I dont have the undying faith all you guys seem to have in them :p

Its all about balancing the LOD scaling with distance, mirrors, making sure your detail level is low enough that you have enough overhead so the game doesn't glitch and stutter, etc etc. Everything comes at a cost.

That's one advantage of PC games, the devs can chuck in everything they want and then let the gamer decide which things they want to turn up and down. Maybe console games should start having a graphics option tab in the games too :p Like if I dont mind playing in 720p instead of 1280x1080 can I have better quality mirrors? :)
 
@moxtau

Unlike you, or many of the other GT fans here that get so upset with every delay, I have an XBOX360 (worst console of all time) and play FM3 (best console driving game at the moment, but hopefully not for long). Played FM2 also. So I am not foaming at the mouth when I hear another delay in ths comic development cycle of GTForever. I just smile and get on with my day. Sure, be it one year, or 10 from now, I will still consider buying the game if it's worth it, regardless of the development time. Yes silly people that bought a PS3 on a GTForever 2007 promise back in the day or even people that bought a PS3Slim in 2009 thinking they will play GTForever late 2009 or early 2010 are very upset, understandable. I'm not one of those people, I learned my lesson with GT4.;)

Now with regards of limited processing power, all consoles have limited power, not found one with unlimited power yet. If there is one it would the best selling console in the world. So every game developer has faced this problem. I for one was never so interested in super photographic visuals before anything else, just KY and PD, and possibly the car manufacturers. Sure, along the way they opened their closed minds and realised that, online, realistic physics, damage, day and night races and weather were more important to players than the serial number writing on a headlight of a car. Perhaps if they continue to open their eyes they'll realise that the same goes for a quality rear view mirror, intelligent AI, skidmarks and reverse lights. It's a big ask from such a closed minded developer, let's face it, the development of GTForever took the magician veil KY and PD always had and turned them into a bit of a joke. But one can only hope.

Undying faith in KY and PD? Of course, I'm one of those. I am still reading the news, coming on this website, writing this thread and posting. I'll still be one of the first in line to rent GTForever, whenever it's released to make my decision on whether to welcome the franchise that started my whole automotive love affair back in my heart. But one thing's for sure, I'm quite a bit older, 6 years to be precise, more mature and astute, to know to make the right decision when the time comes.:)
 
Last edited:
I don't need any more detail in rear mirror than position of cars behind me sitting on the correct places of the road and very brief surrounding as it now. But in the side mirror, there should be correct perspective and little bit of car side for better orientation.

I know it a little off-topic but this is very important: I just hope that in real-life you (and other readers as well) don't adjust your side mirror in a way that you see a slight portion of it. Because if you do, it means you are losing a wide viewing angle of your sides of the car which can be critical when passing or being passed by other car.
I know that a lot of people are adjusting the mirror in this way which is bad - so if you are among those people you need to know that the proper adjustment will be that when you are driving with your hands normally on the wheel (like you should...haha) then you shall not see the car body (neither the left nor the right mirror), but if you tilt your hear few inches left, only then you shall see the car body.
I know it might sounds wrong, but this is the way to adjust it. It is sometimes hard to get use to it, but it is much more safe (you can call special racing-driving schools to make sure if you want).
 
I know it a little off-topic but this is very important: I just hope that in real-life you (and other readers as well) don't adjust your side mirror in a way that you see a slight portion of it. Because if you do, it means you are losing a wide viewing angle of your sides of the car which can be critical when passing or being passed by other car.
I know that a lot of people are adjusting the mirror in this way which is bad - so if you are among those people you need to know that the proper adjustment will be that when you are driving with your hands normally on the wheel (like you should...haha) then you shall not see the car body (neither the left nor the right mirror), but if you tilt your hear few inches left, only then you shall see the car body.
I know it might sounds wrong, but this is the way to adjust it. It is sometimes hard to get use to it, but it is much more safe (you can call special racing-driving schools to make sure if you want).

Does it really matter? :p

I was always taught you should see a small part of your car in the side mirror, as it gives you a reference point. This makes sense to me, as when I drive I tend to move around a bit, if I can't see the car in the mirror then I wouldn't be sure of what I'm looking at. If you need to see more you can just move your head a bit.

But once you've learnt how to drive I dont really think it matters. As long as you know what you're looking at through your mirror and more importantly, what you aren't seeing. Some cars have mirrors that are convex so you see more out of them, some dont, some cars have 3 mirrors, some have 2, as long as you know what you're looking at and what you're missing. The mirrors in my car slip all the time, so often I'm just looking straight at the road in them :p
 
Rear view mirrors are low res in real life anyway - except when stationary.

a) IRL they're only used for split second glances - the brain just needs to assimilate the main features

b) IRL vibration from the mountings blurs the view at speed
Low res in real life?! LMAO!

This morning when I looked in my rear view mirror, it was as life-like as me turning my head around and looking directly at the traffic behind me. Just because you only glance at it does not mean your brain does not take in the detail. Are you telling me that if you shut your eyes, open them for a split second, and close them again, what you see is "low res" just because you glanced at it?!

I accept that vibrations in race conditions can vibrate the mirror, but that only blurs a life-like image - it doesn't turn it into "low res".

On topic, I don't mind a reduced LOD in the rear view mirror, but I do expect it to at least resemble the scenery I just passed, along with any cars.
 
Low res in real life?! LMAO!

My "Low Res" comment was fairly tongue in cheek - reflecting (pun intended) the fact that the mirror view tends to get seriously degraded by vibration. I've had some cars (generally those with hard suspension settings) where the rear view mirror image is significantly blurred by vibration whenever the vehicle is in motion.
 
I know it a little off-topic but this is very important: I just hope that in real-life you (and other readers as well) don't adjust your side mirror in a way that you see a slight portion of it. Because if you do, it means you are losing a wide viewing angle of your sides of the car which can be critical when passing or being passed by other car.

I have heard this many times but I usually tend to do things in my own manner. Having aspherical outer margin of the mirror with great blind angle coverage, this way with 5% of mirror covered by car side it gives me better brief about my relative position, not just a look somewhere. I appreciate your advice though. 👍
 
Low res in real life?! LMAO!

This morning when I looked in my rear view mirror, it was as life-like as me turning my head around and looking directly at the traffic behind me. Just because you only glance at it does not mean your brain does not take in the detail. Are you telling me that if you shut your eyes, open them for a split second, and close them again, what you see is "low res" just because you glanced at it?!

I accept that vibrations in race conditions can vibrate the mirror, but that only blurs a life-like image - it doesn't turn it into "low res".

On topic, I don't mind a reduced LOD in the rear view mirror, but I do expect it to at least resemble the scenery I just passed, along with any cars.

Another thing that needs to be taken into account:

Objects in mirror are closer than they appear :sly:
 
This may sound crazy, but I want to get a PSP and mount it as a "real" rearview mirror. The crazy part is that's the only reason I'd want a PSP (but I'm highly considering it). Of course, the only reason I have a PS3 is for GT5P, but I hope to eventually use it for GT5 as well.

I think a part of driving has to do with peripheral vision, so the idea of head tracking with the PSeye and rear view with the PSP is exciting. I'm all about the immersive driving experience. Man I wish I had bigger TV (or could sit closer).
 
^ This was mentioned as a possibility by KY a long time ago so don't be surprised if it is included in GT5. I assume getting 3 screens and 3 PS3's isn't an option if you're stuck with your current TV!
 
I'm all about the immersive driving experience. Man I wish I had bigger TV (or could sit closer).

After playing on an Eyefinity set up I'd love to give GT5 a try on 3 screens. Shame it'll be prohibitively expensive. I hope Eyefinity brings the multi-screen gaming phenomenon to the masses. Even if you had a nice expensive TV, a couple of cheap monitors would work great to expand the peripheral vision.

I'm much more interested in 3 display set ups than running 3D, which may be great for a movie but I dont want to be wearing goofy glasses for hours on end several times a week while gaming.
 
You do know that it´s a DEMO right?

Nobody has played the real GT5 yet.
So don´t be worried becuase PD are fanatics about what they do.
 
Back