GT5 replay videos with MORE than 8 cars?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Rikusaki
  • 15 comments
  • 1,814 views
Messages
111
Messages
Rikusaki
I haven't seen any... If you have (and I somehow missed it), can you please give me a link? I would love to see this.
 


Plenty of cars here (pause at the 26 second mark for a decent counting view). Just because most of the demos have only been running with 8 cars does not mean that things have been scaled back for good. Prologue has 16, certain demos have had 16... As Keitaro333 says, stop stressin' ;)
 
I just played a 16 car race on my PS3 with Prologue - On Fuji Speedway - replay was sweet :)
But I ended up last, starting from 8th..... AI is pretty quick...
 
Kaz teased us with Prologue videos showing no more than seven cars for some time, then a couple of months or so before release, we freaked when we saw a huge field of cars in one video.

Keep in mind that Kazunori discussed trying to get 20 cars or more on track at once when details of NASCAR came to light, and these guys seem to be masters at drawing maximum horsepower from the Playstation architecture. And everything about GT5 has been a surprise so far, so... we'll be seeing soon.
 


Plenty of cars here (pause at the 26 second mark for a decent counting view). Just because most of the demos have only been running with 8 cars does not mean that things have been scaled back for good. Prologue has 16, certain demos have had 16... As Keitaro333 says, stop stressin' ;)


16 cars at 0:26
 
I doubt there will be 16 cars on most of the tracks.

I even noticed in prologue that there were just a few multiplayer races with that number of cars.

I think it all depends on the track / details (number of polygons) and we could clearly see stuttering in prologue at times where 16 cars went through slow corners.

Maybe nascar has even 20 but thats because there are just 4 car-models in use.

They will add more detail (polygons) finally so they may reduce the number of cars a bit.

I would prefer even more than 16 (>30) (especially on long tracks as the nordschleife)
but I expect to be dissapointed when the game once releases..
 
I doubt there will be 16 cars on most of the tracks.

I even noticed in prologue that there were just a few multiplayer races with that number of cars.

I think it all depends on the track / details (number of polygons) and we could clearly see stuttering in prologue at times where 16 cars went through slow corners.

Maybe nascar has even 20 but thats because there are just 4 car-models in use.

They will add more detail (polygons) finally so they may reduce the number of cars a bit.

I would prefer even more than 16 (>30) (especially on long tracks as the nordschleife)
but I expect to be dissapointed when the game once releases..

We should have something like this: :D

On the first round of the VLN, multi-class endurance championship, that took place at the Nordschleife, there were 163 cars at start, a number superior to the usual due to the presence of official teams testing for the Nurburgring 24h, but is common to have as much as 120 cars on this series.
 
I doubt there will be 16 cars on most of the tracks.

I even noticed in prologue that there were just a few multiplayer races with that number of cars.

I think it all depends on the track / details (number of polygons) and we could clearly see stuttering in prologue at times where 16 cars went through slow corners.

Maybe nascar has even 20 but thats because there are just 4 car-models in use.

They will add more detail (polygons) finally so they may reduce the number of cars a bit.

I would prefer even more than 16 (>30) (especially on long tracks as the nordschleife)
but I expect to be dissapointed when the game once releases..

mainly because the bandwidth required for the online protocol they had for Prologue would be huge with 16 cars. Most people don't have a connection that coud be a host for 16 cars

If they have dedicated servers then it won't be an issue
 
profi:
Maybe nascar has even 20 but thats because there are just 4 car-models in use.

It doesnt matter that there are only 4 types of models in nascar. They all have polygons anyway so they can have the same amount as with any other type.

Another thing is that they may have less polygons each because for ex. they dont have headlamps and even make the models a little less detailed in general to have more of them on the track.
 
It doesnt matter that there are only 4 types of models in nascar. They all have polygons anyway so they can have the same amount as with any other type.

Another thing is that they may have less polygons each because for ex. they dont have headlamps and even make the models a little less detailed in general to have more of them on the track.

But if there is only 4 different car models on track game will use less RAM.
 
I doubt there will be 16 cars on most of the tracks.

I even noticed in prologue that there were just a few multiplayer races with that number of cars.

I think it all depends on the track / details (number of polygons) and we could clearly see stuttering in prologue at times where 16 cars went through slow corners.

Maybe nascar has even 20 but thats because there are just 4 car-models in use.

They will add more detail (polygons) finally so they may reduce the number of cars a bit.

I would prefer even more than 16 (>30) (especially on long tracks as the nordschleife)
but I expect to be dissapointed when the game once releases..
The thing is, the number of cars you may want on track at once kinda' varies according to the race type and length. Shorter races consisting of just 3 or 4 laps of a normal track do not really need 16 cars, because most of them will either be in front of you or behind you for the duration of the race. On longer races with more overtaking potential, 16 cars makes more sense.

As your car is always included in the on-screen car count, I think 8 cars is just short of ideal. If 10 (as a minimum) were available on all tracks, I'd be happy with that.

Either way, I don't expect to be disappointed in this regard once the game releases.
 
Keep in mind that Kazunori discussed trying to get 20 cars or more on track at once when details of NASCAR came to light, and these guys seem to be masters at drawing maximum horsepower from the Playstation architecture. And everything about GT5 has been a surprise so far, so... we'll be seeing soon.

Yeah, don't forget that Sony freed memory used from the PS3 OS, so it might enable them to fit some more cars, or tweak more details. I'm eagerly waiting for more cars on the grid, however I agree that 16 is a huge number for online racing, lags and delays often happen with my crappy connection when racing 7 guys, 16 is just a nightmare.

That's why I'm looking forward to LAN racing, if plays smooth as the GTAcademy finals, I would gladly play against 19 mates simultaneously, just need to gather everyone together, but that's the main task for the LAN mode. :D

Running the Nordscheife against 19 AI cars would be EPIC!
 
Last edited:
The main advantage of Lan over Online is when someone cheats or bumps you off the track intentionally, you can actually physically slap them afterwards or even during when they sit next to you.;)
 
I'm actually very worried about this. Yes there are 16 cars in GT5P, but the graphics were not quite as high back then, and there are only rolling starts with the cars in one line and several meters from each other.

Since NASCAR will make it to the franchise, this is not an option. The cars has to be in two lines and much closer to each other...
 
But if there is only 4 different car models on track game will use less RAM.

yes but only marginally, every car has a different paintjob so each has its own texture which takes a majority of the memory.
 
Back