GT5 tunes work here?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Dalone
  • 17 comments
  • 1,673 views
Messages
1,907
Australia
Darwin NT Austr
Messages
dlone47
I'm currently racing in the International A races and using a Takata Dome NSX 06 ($950,00 or so) and put most of a tune on it from one of Stewy Ripper's from last November.
It's killing the opposition however the same goes for most of these races if you use a half decent car.
So just wondering if people are using GT5 tunes as the standard.
This is the first time I've actually used a (most of) tune from GT5, usually just do height, camber, LSD, toe, BB etc, and keep my fingers crossed.
 
Yes, I have carried over the best of my solid race worthy tunes from some of my most used cars in GT5 to their GT6 successors and they work just as well as they always have and are muchos fun. 👍
 
I have A Notebook with all my setup sheets from the first Gt on to GT5 and I use them for a good base, some need tweeked once in a while but, once I got a set up for myself that works well, I keep it. I also do allot of testing, but I enjoy that about the game!!
 
I'll have to say no. GT6 has completely different physics with a new suspension model so as some GT5 tunes may seem to work, they can be improved upon with further tuning according to the new physics.
 
Although the principles are the same, I would say an emphatic no. GT6 physics is such that MR cars have to be rethought at a minimum. I'm considering it a new ballgame and tuning each car (FF, FR, MR, whatever) as required by the track and tire, not by GT5. The physics is new, the tuning is new. Time for those who've lived on clones and paint by numbers to wait for a new set of solutions or learn to tune yourselves
 
I'll have to say no. GT6 has completely different physics with a new suspension model so as some GT5 tunes may seem to work, they can be improved upon with further tuning according to the new physics.

I've found that most of my GT5 tunes bring the cars close but they need a bit of tweaking to get the most out of the new physics especially the new tire "feel", I have yet to use racing softs for anything, I find the new sport series tires work really well........
 
Heh...I tried stickies just once, after reading something or another that peaked my interest. I found them more of a hinderance that a benefit at the levels I'm using now (< 700PP). Like you, I find the sh/sm/ss much more my style, except RH, which I leave on in cars that come with.
 
I've found that most of my GT5 tunes bring the cars close but they need a bit of tweaking to get the most out of the new physics especially the new tire "feel", I have yet to use racing softs for anything, I find the new sport series tires work really well........
I've found that most of my GT5 tunes bring the cars close but they need a bit of tweaking to get the most out of the new physics especially the new tire "feel", I have yet to use racing softs for anything, I find the new sport series tires work really well........

Yes, like I said, most will work and get you by, but without further tweaking you are really missing out on the improved physics and what it has to offer. I have found however that if I start from scratch using the default spring rates as a base and going from there, I can create some pretty good tunes. I will raise/lower the spring rates in accordance with the ride height that I use, and then go from there with the rest of the settings.
 
Yes, like I said, most will work and get you by, but without further tweaking you are really missing out on the improved physics and what it has to offer. I have found however that if I start from scratch using the default spring rates as a base and going from there, I can create some pretty good tunes. I will raise/lower the spring rates in accordance with the ride height that I use, and then go from there with the rest of the settings.

I agree. I don't think it's all that wise to treat old tuning configurations as a mark. Things have changed. And especially so for MR.
 
The consensus appears to be that GT5 tuning won't always successfully transfer to GT6 cars, about what I expected.
Like others I have many GT5 tunes on paper which I would like to have been able to use here, but probably not, oh well.

And appreciate the advice from 'xiando' who says; "Time for those who've lived on clones and paint by numbers to wait for a new set of solutions or learn to tune yourselves."

Ahh, good plan!
 
completely agree with everyone here, gt6 requires from you a new approach. while gt5 "essential" settings work reasonably well for the successor, the former has been the most realistic driving simulator known to console then therefore real-life tuning should reflect on it and work otherwise it's not much of a simulator, is it. so it's not surprise here old setups work for the new one, well it bloody should, it better!:/

FR setups i found they are almost transferable to the new game without much of compromise but MR setups, however, i just could not control the cars like i was able to - if i wish to drive it well then i'd have to change my driving style drastically or if i set it up in a way that i can drive well, front tyres seem to get chewed up really really badly (im talking from experience driving Audi R8 race car that you get for free).

i dont have much of karting experience and i regret it. it's good to learn to drive rear-heavy responsive vehicle at early age and learn to steer with back wheels hence im finding driving R8 a real challenge...

anyway, in gt6, i cannot abuse the car like i used to, i have to respect them. the cars seem to respond to weight transfer more quickly and realistically that i don't really need to flick them to turn, like i used to in gt5 where i triple-flicked (or double feint-flick if you will) before slow hairpins but if i do the same on newer version i'd just spin out of controll...
 
Last edited:
Speaking of the differences in GT6 to GT5, I'm glad to see there is no B Spec. To me it was the height of absurdity.
You might not want to download the update that is coming soon then...
 
Jujiro,

Yeah, FR and FF seem to be "okay" as is, and both definitely seem to respond well to the new race hard/soft and rally suspensions with little more tuning effort required (all three are nice extensions to the suspension choices imo.. thanks PD!) , but personally, I've chose to view them all as fodder for a full rework, after encountering the MR vehicles, which to me are (not having ever driven a real race car but several dozens of different other "real "cars over the past several decades) all but undriveable as "racing" cars right-out-of-the-box...

Couldn't agree more with "anyway, in gt6, i cannot abuse the car like i used to, i have to respect them. the cars seem to respond to weight transfer more quickly and realistically that i don't really need to flick them to turn, like i used to in gt5 where i triple-flicked (or double feint-flick if you will) before slow hairpins but if i do the same on newer version i'd just spin out of control...", at least before I tune them. Most of mine are behaving very well now, but it definitely cost me many laps during the tuning procedure.

The new suspension is a thing to behold. I'm still enjoying playbacks watching my car begin to fail on a curve entrance or mid-turn or at the end, watching it unglue as the car rolls over that invisible line between control and chaos, and how I can actually see why it's happening. Fascinating. Or watching how the suspension moves when you hit the rumble strips, how it feels when you're driving, etc. Very enjoyable. Not because my car spins out or rams the wall, but what I learn in those few instants, and which leads me to my next suspension/aero/lsd tweak to stabilize the machine for the next set of laps.

In any case, I'm tuning everything that I drive for more than a couple laps, no matter the drivetrain type. Every one I do helps me to understand the process better.
 
xiando,

the only setup that seems to be universal between GT5 and GT6 on all drive trains is the LSD, isnt it. i havent done any extensive testing but for equally balanced FR cars i go 5/15-40/5 and it seems to work well. for rear heavy MRs id go 5/12-20/40(or more).

suspension setups, well, because i kept spinning Audi R8 on apricot circuit i made front end really hard and decel LSD 60 and heavy rear downforce made my front RH tyres get chewed up within 5 laps...

as for other MRs that dont have aeros, like x-bow, its fun to drive and all but as soon as you try to push to the limit or try to shave .2s off or something an EXTENSIVE tuning and testing is needed.

yes i agree with you completely that to race MR cars like theyre racing cars and be CONSISTENT on lap after lap youd have to make a lot of adjustment to it or to yourself.

im currently doing superlicense events and i thought id be fine with free R8 but after barely winning the apricot i did use some of my credit to buy HSV-010 and god its so easy to drive...

in GT5, when youre about to try a new car on an event youd just enter it then "guess" what the right setup to be and a lot of times it did work out fine on your 1st shot and easily win it. but for GT6, whatever the event im about to enter, id see which circuit itll be, exit out to main menu, go to garage and do free run on that circuit and do at least 3 sessions to get the balance right. itll save you a lot of time. oh, and adjust your gear ratios before you enter the event too, otherwise once you enter it the gear ratios tune menu lags a lot for loading and running cars on background.
 
B-Spec is so bloody stupid in a game.
 
Back