GT5 Video capture to PC?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Vuduegg
  • 20 comments
  • 10,779 views
Messages
111
Messages
GTP_Vuduegg
Couldn't find any info on the forums about this so will ask.

What will be the best method to capture gameplay to a pc in order to make a video?

With PS2, I just had a VCR (video cassette recorder for you young'uns) in between the PS2 and my TV, and could record whatever was on screen when I played. I would then play the video and record onto my handycam, then connect to my PC and do a software video capture.

How is this going to work with Full HD and HDMI connectors etc?
 
You can move files from the ps3 HDD onto another HDD (ie, USB flashdrive, or an external HDD) so that may be the easiest method as GT5 will surely have a feature that will allow you to save replay videos and screenshots onto the PS3 HDD. The current PS3 operatins system does not seem to allow direct connection to a PC/laptop/mac.

But I have heard of people installing Linux on the PS3 and you can file-share between the PS3 and another computer via a LAN network(similar to a regular home network) with PS3 acting just like another PC(which it essentially is). But this probably takes a bit more techno know-how. So the easiest may be to just use your flashdrive or an external HDD.
 
You can move files from the ps3 HDD onto another HDD (ie, USB flashdrive, or an external HDD) so that may be the easiest method as GT5 will surely have a feature that will allow you to save replay videos and screenshots onto the PS3 HDD. The current PS3 operatins system does not seem to allow direct connection to a PC/laptop/mac.

But I have heard of people installing Linux on the PS3 and you can file-share between the PS3 and another computer via a LAN network(similar to a regular home network) with PS3 acting just like another PC(which it essentially is). But this probably takes a bit more techno know-how. So the easiest may be to just use your flashdrive or an external HDD.

I think he means recording gameplay, not just tranfering files.


I use a hauppaugge HDPVR to record HD video from my PS3.
It uses component cables to record up to 1080i video.
At about $205 USD it's the cheapest way to record in HD.
There are HDMI capture cards, but those can run up to $1000 USD
 
GT5 will have youtube option for replays
 
I think he means recording gameplay, not just tranfering files.


I use a hauppaugge HDPVR to record HD video from my PS3.
It uses component cables to record up to 1080i video.
At about $205 USD it's the cheapest way to record in HD.
There are HDMI capture cards, but those can run up to $1000 USD

I mention file transfer because it would almost impossible, at least to me, to imagine GT5 to NOT have features to save gameplay/racing/replay videos onto its HDD as a movie file and thus the only problem would be to move that file over to a PC so it can be uploaded onto websites. Although there was mention of direct youtube uploads, which would make the PC obsolete if that is indeed implemented.

otherwise if he wants to also record himself clicking around on menus and whatnot then I guess the only way is to either use an external camera (although quality is questionable unless a highend/expensive HD camera is implemented it seems) or using some sort of direct screen recording method as you suggested (which also a couple hundred dollars, not too far off from the cost a used PS3). This may be requried if people wants "proof" of the car's settings for various challenges and whatnot. Although it would be interesting to see what sort of video capturing GT5 will implement, surely they will see the huge online/forum competitions and GT5 may include some sort of "signature proof" for settings and tires and whatnot in their screenshotting or video-capturing. But I think most people just want to upload mainly videos of races and themselves driving, which I fully expect GT5 to have complete built-in video capturing of actual gameplay aka drag racing, enduro racing, etc. etc.
 
Last edited:
But what if you want to make some tutorial videos? Like a step by step video guide of how to start the game well. You can't save a replay of your menus... (Unless GT comes with the option of 'record' play). It is highly doubtful (Infact i'd say a 0% chance), and its not necessary at all, but if any guy came up with it and implemented it into a console game i would be officially amazed.
 
Dan/Holl01, seems to be able to do it. He regularly puts up a vid of his laps which seems to be from a capture card, maybe send a PM to him and he might send you in the right direction.👍
 
Shawn is right, I want to record gameplay, not just do a file transfer, because then you are limited to what you can show, and do with the file. Plus, if I wanted to upload it to Youtube, I might want to do some editing first....and nist 7 has a point, I might want to show navigation through the setup menus to prove a cars settings.

ANFD, as dodgy as your method sounds, it produces some remarkably decent results. Definitely an option, though it seems a PVR capture card is technically the best way to do it.

cheers,
 
Wait and see what PD do before going and buying anything, with youtube in on the deal I imagine there will be an option to render replays to some sort of video file on your HDD for uploading. It might be possible that you upload the replay data which is then rendered on some sony server somewhere but I doubt that tbh.
If I'm right about the option to render to video then it would make a lot of sense for PD to provide at least some basic editing functionality, possibly being able to edit parts of replays together and I can really see the option of render to video being combined with photomode to give photomode quality rendered video replays (at lower res than photomode obviously, res isn't the only thing improved in photomode btw) being a real possibility.
 
The Hauppage PVR video cap box has the best quality I've ever seen for that kind of money! It has hardware encoding so it doesn't load up your PC

[YOUTUBEHD]ORCX3jQIJPE[/YOUTUBEHD]

[YOUTUBEHD]KI-DSisdrqE[/YOUTUBEHD]

[YOUTUBEHD]-IBFLsKqbzQ[/YOUTUBEHD]

[YOUTUBEHD]tp0v0hWTQf0[/YOUTUBEHD]
 
Last edited:
I use a hauppaugge HDPVR to record HD video from my PS3.

The Hauppage PVR video cap box has the best quality I've ever seen for that kind of money! It has hardware encoding so it doesn't load up your PC

I have the Hauppauge HD-PVR as well, brilliant little device, and probably the only way to go if you're using a laptop like I do. Also features component OUT, so you can just route the signal to your TV (without lag) while recording at the same time (playing from your pc/laptop screen is not advisable due to lag introduced by the encoding).

Click here for some of my GT5P and DiRT 2 movies.
 
I know how silly this sounds, but the easiest way (for me anyway) is simply to set up my HD video camera on a tripod behind my Playseat and just record the race or replay directly from the screen. I record in 1080p and upload to YouTube in 720p. You can see the results here .....

It's simple but the results are far away from direct feed. There are many problems, one of them is unsynchronized refresh (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genlock).

HDCP is a mess and there is no reason to use it while playing games (Xbox360 IMHO doesn't). It can be disabled on debugging stations.
 
Hi all,
I'm trying to save a .avi or .mpg file from a GT5 saved replay.
From the replay menu of the game, I used the export function, to make the video available on the PS3 outside the game. From there, I copied the movie on a USB key.
What I have is a folder named PS3\SAVEDATA\BCES00569-RPL001 which contains the following files:

ICON0.PNG
PARAM.PFD
PARAM.SFO
PIC1.PNG
REPLAY.0

Of course this export can be used with a PS3 only.
Is there a way to convert REPLAY.0 into a viewable format from a PC (actually it's not played by any software I tried)?
Thanks in advance.

Gigiumba
 
Doubt it, it's just a data file for GT5, and not movie format, if it was, it would be several GB large :)
 
Didn't want to start a new thread so said I'd ask here.

I want to record gameplay live without having to setup a camera or something similar as I only have a phone camera. Also I don't have the money atm to buy a video capture card.

My question is, is there a way I can hook up my ps3 to my pc's video card and use a software program to record the footage. It dosent have to be hd quality.

Thanks
 
If you have a TV card then you can screencap the preview with Fraps or something similar. Even HD ones with HDMI are quite cheap and a good way to get around the HDCP issues, but you do need a fairly fast PC and a decently fast HD
 
Back