GT5P Damage or No Damage?

• Thread starter jswilli1
  • 19 comments
United States
Albuquerque, NM
jswilli1 / GTP_jswilli1 (GT5 only)
jswilli1
I have heard several debates on whether GT5P should have damage implemented while others say just focus on more cars and tracks. I was very excited at the thought of having damage included in the game until I started actively tuning the cars. I hope that if damage becomes a reality that it can be actively be turned on or off as an option. It is a no brainer that the damage will look stunning but how realistic will the driving physics of the car actually be? In a beginner level with no tuning damage physics would be a relatively easy task. Now take the intermediate or pro level where tuning plays a major role in the cars physics and how it handles on the track. Take it a step further and add in the driving aids along with standard or professional physics and it gets even more complex. I wonder how many people will be dropping out of the race after a really good hit or a really nice wall shot? All of us within this forum have tuned a number of cars and understand how slight adjustments can make or break a good tune. With that said I wonder what the GTLM (carbon fiber), Corvette (fiberglass), or the F2007 would look like after a really good hit not to mention how the cars handling will react? How would the F2007 react to damage taken to the front or rear wing especially if it was none existant - I guess race over in that case?

With GT5P being as competitive as it already is, will adding damage take the competive edge away? Going 5 to 7 laps with a busted up car may turn out not to be very much fun after all?

It's in the works. My take is that damage isn't worth all the trouble coding and modeling etc. and should be lower on the list of priorities. I would prefer AI, physics, and online improvements first. However, while not technically 'damage', I'd like to see realistically implemented tire wear.

After seeing the damage in the GRID demo, I actually think it's what is visually missing from the game.

In fact, the damage was literally ALL that impressed me about GRID. As a game, it's awful.

Realistic damage would be awesome, but then it would need a realistic penalty system, too.
I doubt we will see it though for multiple reasons and will end up with the old excuses, that the car manufactorers would not alow it and it would take too many resources from the PS3 (wonder where I heard that before?)...

I wish pitstops were allowed, including on line. In the pitstop, you could repair your damage.

Also - which is what I want - if you could go into the pits, and change your setup, that would be very useful, for tuning your car in a race. I'd love that.

Innocent driver should not suffer about attacks from behind etc etc... and also if you crash your vehicle in Expert online-races, you should need to use credits to get it repaired.

That way some bad apples maybe would not come to there, cause in the end, their credits would end.

Innocent driver should not suffer about attacks from behind etc etc... and also if you crash your vehicle in Expert online-races, you should need to use credits to get it repaired.

That way some bad apples maybe would not come to there, cause in the end, their credits would end.

I agree with this, But some how i dont think the bad apples would care too much about their credits.If there was some sort of disqualification for the offending driver that would be much better.My own exprience with (bad apples)was most times in the braking zones.There must be a way of knowing what any given cars speed should be at some point in the braking zone,and if you go in at 40/50 or higher kmph/mph over what you should be doing and hit another car,it shows the offending driver as disqualified in the race results,plus no prize money,and the credits it costs them to fix the car.After a while you would have to think about how you conduct your self in races:dopey:. How you deal with the driver who hits you from the side,or the driver who is fond of brake checking on a straight while your behind is another matter:yuck:.As for damage in gt5,yes please.It worked great in toca and f1 and i like the idea of making pit stops for tyres and repairs:nervous:

I know I could be put out of a race if I get hit by a punter and there is damage, but that's OK with me. I can always start again. The punter suffers more because they will be out of EVERY race.

In forza you have private rooms and in the options you can have damage cosmetic or both cosmetic and mechanical. I think they need to look at the forza online and do something simular to make it worth while online.

No visual is a good thing for GT giving its histroy, but we should have drivetrain and engine damage to slow the car down, to help keep the crashing down

The way I see it is that with Kaz being the prefectionist that he is he would take and model each of the cars underpinnings to a exact match with the real thing and that would cause a major jump in the already 200,000 average pixel count for each car, and that is just not needed. If they have to have damage I hope they leave it to the stresses put on the engine and other internal components.

As far as tuning goes, damage has nothing to do with it. When you tune a car, in the actual GT5 game, you'll be doing it alone on track in a free mode. But as far as racing goes, you need damage. Damage plays a huge part in racing, and the game wouldn't be "realistic" without it. If you dont want your car damaged, drive defensively.

With the whole idea of damage ad credits being used to repair said damage i have a cunning idea.

Insurance!

Pay so many credits a week to insure your car and depending on your history of "claims" your premium increases.

Success!

With the whole idea of damage ad credits being used to repair said damage i have a cunning idea.

Insurance!

Pay so many credits a week to insure your car and depending on your history of "claims" your premium increases.

Success!

Have you ever tried to insure a real racing car?

I have heard several debates on whether GT5P should have damage implemented while others say just focus on more cars and tracks. I was very excited at the thought of having damage included in the game until I started actively tuning the cars. I hope that if damage becomes a reality that it can be actively be turned on or off as an option. It is a no brainer that the damage will look stunning but how realistic will the driving physics of the car actually be? In a beginner level with no tuning damage physics would be a relatively easy task. Now take the intermediate or pro level where tuning plays a major role in the cars physics and how it handles on the track. Take it a step further and add in the driving aids along with standard or professional physics and it gets even more complex. I wonder how many people will be dropping out of the race after a really good hit or a really nice wall shot? All of us within this forum have tuned a number of cars and understand how slight adjustments can make or break a good tune. With that said I wonder what the GTLM (carbon fiber), Corvette (fiberglass), or the F2007 would look like after a really good hit not to mention how the cars handling will react? How would the F2007 react to damage taken to the front or rear wing especially if it was none existant - I guess race over in that case?

With GT5P being as competitive as it already is, will adding damage take the competive edge away? Going 5 to 7 laps with a busted up car may turn out not to be very much fun after all?

Jswilli 1

Very true, adding damage to GT5 is without doubt a borderline issue, just to have bits flying off all over the track and turning the game into yet another demolition derby, I don’t think I would want that, I can just use Race driver Grid which I already have and save my money when the new GT5 comes out.

My thoughts on this is, damage car out the race, or limp mode back to pit
under computer driving not you, this way you can’t get damaged by a punter in a damaged car in limp mode, then exit at the rear of the pack.

Yellow flag and let say something like safety car rules, or 50mph line of stern till past the danger or accident, as in F1 and WTCC rules.

I still have every issue of Gran-Turismo and up to press have never felt the need for damage, but if the masses want this, I do hope they implement it properly, like I said, it would be very easy to turn it into a demolition derby (I think you know what I’m talking about here)

Damage yes so long as it’s done right.Improves the game and the overall enjoyment of playing this great GT series

Its a loose loose situtation.

they put too much damage in and the game takes longer to come out people moan,

they put too little and it's "not good enough and rushed"

opinions will vary, but i guess the middle ground is fair enough

i dont want damage because some races are so hard without cheating by hitting them, and online ppl will break your car to win.
i do want damage if the penalty system goes away. most annoying thing:grumpy:

I think a damage OPTION could work well. If we could have a choice to have damage or no damage as one of the options before each race would be a great way to go. That way if we get caught up with a bad group of drivers (like the ones that think they HAVE to smash you to pass) in a race then we could just turn off the damage and not be bothered so much by the corrupt drivers.

Last edited:
I like my car to run just as tight and responsive at the finish line, as it did at the start line! Im afraid people hitting me (as they often do just to pass) would ruin my car!

Back