GT5P demo looks dark on my 1080p HDTV (hdmi)

• Thread starter MowTin
  • 5 comments
I tried every thing I can think of but cars just look dark especially anything with a shadow.

I get the same thing with Rachet and Clank.

I'm using HDMI and have a samsung 4665F.

Does anyone else have this problem?

On my sony 1080p, I have a RGB dynamic range option half way down the options under video which is below the usual screen and picture settings, (easy to overlook) if set on Auto or Limited it really darkens the game, set on Full its perfect and detailed in the dark areas, a total different picture. Have you got a similar option in screen or video settings. Also make sure your PS3 is also set to RGB Full and super white on, in the display settings.

I had the same issue, its like there is too much contrast so the dark areas are really dark. Reminds me of one of the earlier generations having the same issue, I think it was GT3. Anyway, I just turned the contrast down and the brightness up a bit.

On my sony 1080p, I have a RGB dynamic range option half way down the options under video which is below the usual screen and picture settings, (easy to overlook) if set on Auto or Limited it really darkens the game, set on Full its perfect and detailed in the dark areas, a total different picture. Have you got a similar option in screen or video settings. Also make sure your PS3 is also set to RGB Full and super white on, in the display settings.

I tried RGB full and super white on. I have no problem with my 360.

Are you saying you have no "darkness" when looking down the track at other cars?

Or when you crashed and are facing the tire barrier on the side of the track. I can't make out the detail on the tires.

Is your 360 full hdmi, if you have your tv settings set for component or Composite it could lead to differences when you use full hdmi on ps3. It sounds like your TV settings, try exploring every setting on your TV when hdmi is connected and turn RGB range on full (not talking about PS3 RGB here).

I Know when I connect a lower spec feed I have to change things down to limited or auto on my 1080p TV. When I bought it I compared to others like samsung panasonic toshiba etc and found sony bravia to be the best for true colour and balance. Samsung has new tech to make seemingly deeper blacks and try's to make it as good as a plasma but I found it slightly tacky and saturated overall. Try toning down black correctors and Dynamic Contrast on low.

Also try posting or checking on avforums for calibration settings.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=166
http://www.avforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155

I have excellent tyre tread detail and tyre colours with the prologue demo off PSN and GT5 prologue blu-ray, nothing looks overly dark, I'm still impressed by Prologue.

I have the 4661F model samsung and I have no problems. I turned the game mode option on. It did darken it just a hair but nothing to really mention. What are the specs you are running in your picture settings? I can try and match them on my tv and see if I get similar results. I think the only diff between our sets is the 10,000:1 vs 15000:1 contrast ratio.

Jerome

Back