GT6 and below, what is the best way to play?

• Thread starter KoroKoro
  • 2 comments
Australia
Australia
So I have grown up playing countless hours on my retail copies from GT1 to GT4.
I've only recently picked up a PS3, and have just started playing GT5 and GT6 (second hand retail), but unfortunately I'm pretty disappointed with the experience. To me it feels like they've tried to simplify and streamline the menus and linearized gameplay, and focusing more on personalising the driver (don't care), online multiplayer (don't care) and dramatized close racing (obvious rubber banding), and not focusing as much on the cars and tuning (GT6 tuning seems dumbed down more like arcade) though at least the graphics are nice-ish (which seems to be one of its few redeeming features).
So the question is; what's the best way to play GT these days? (excluding ps4 and ps5).
I've messed with duckstation for GT1 and GT2 in 1080p which was fun, but lack of support for a steering wheel puts it in the too hard basket for now. I've also tried playing GT3 and GT4 in 1080p on the PC, and whilst there is a healthy modding scene, however the driving experience isn't perfectly smooth and of course these also have plentiful bugs. My PS2 is modded playing off a 2TB HDD, and using 1080i component video through my XRGB3, but better graphics are desirable (internal HDMI mod for the PS2 doesn't exists yet), so I then decided to get a PS3 to see if it's any better, which it is in some ways, but not overall. PS3 framerate seems rather inconsistent, stuttery and horrible screen tearing pretty much all the time...
Unfortunately I haven't been able to mod my PS3 (tools aren't available atm), so I can't get a CFW installed just yet...
So having said all that, what do you guys think would be my best option?
Cheers :)

Last edited:
So having said all that, what do you guys think would be my best option?
In all honesty, I don't think there is a best option, just some slight damage limitation that can be applied in the form of running your PS3 at 720p (and even that doesn't improve the frame rate and screen tearing much). The team behind a certain PS3 emu haven't prioritised frame rate, and even at 4k you can't use your own AA, so the game tends to look just as bad as PS3, if not worse. Like you, I haven't modded my PS3 so can't comment on that, but I don't think you're gonna get any performance improvements from it, just mods.

Back