GT6 Car Buying System DLC idea?

United States
New York
Bandit_Ra_X
After looking at the amount of DLC that we have compared to other games, I got an idea that I want opinions on.

In Rock Band, there is a huge library of DLC music that started since the first game. This library gives the game a diverse feel due to the quantity and variety. I believe that this idea could work in some way with GT6 DLC cars and give an experience that would be and feel more personal for each person, similar to a personalized car collection. My two questions I would like your opinions on are the following:

1) If licensing was not an issue, would this idea be feasible and work?
2) If you feel it is feasible, would you support it or not?

*Note: This only refers to the DLC. I still feel that game should come with a substantial amount of content already packaged.*

The idea that I am talking about is how Rock Band's DLC is more individualized, the DLC cars would be the same exact way. Sorry if I was not clear enough, but I think DLC cars should be sold individually, each car having a flat rate price, like $0.99 per car, and have it become a free "Car Market" service/mode within the game that can get updated with new content alongside the Online Dealership. I believe PD would make a better profit and better reputation since there are complaints about repetition within some packs currently, and gamers would have a better accessibility and experience by having a game more individualized.

The idea that I am talking about is how Rock Band's DLC is more individualized, the DLC cars would be the same exact way. Sorry if I was not clear enough, but I think DLC cars should be sold individually, each car having a flat rate price, like $0.99 per car, and have it become a free "Car Market" service/mode within the game that can get updated with new content alongside the Online Dealership. I believe PD would make a better profit and better reputation since there are complaints about repetition within some packs currently, and gamers would have a better accessibility and experience by having a game more individualized.

You mean like how the latest GT5 DLC works? Right now, they're exactly 99cents each like you mention.

You mean like how the latest GT5 DLC works? Right now, they're exactly 99cents each like you mention.

Yes, in the pricing point, but this is not was I was talking about in the terms of concept. In other games, there is a centralized DLC area that can be accessed within the game, without going into the Playstation Store. For cars, I think it can work like a market because if you update the game with DLC at a consistent rate, the content will grow and would make accessing the content more fluid.

Plus, if you update the content within this mode, it would help with the release times for the DLC and not make a problem in each region as I believe it would help with the content distribution. For example, right now (September 25th, 11:22 a.m., U.S.A. EST) not everyone has DLC because each region is releasing the content at different times based on each region's PSN Store discretion. Having a centralized service can have a player buy the content and receive the content content at the same time as another person in a different region.

I think the Rock Band-esque store is a great idea. Then we also sa've the hassle of downloading the items, then waiting for the game to load, installing them, then having to sit through the delivery screen. It'd be buy the dlc, go to garage, race on the track. Simple as that.

Yes, in the pricing point, but this is not was I was talking about in the terms of concept. In other games, there is a centralized DLC area that can be accessed within the game, without going into the Playstation Store. For cars, I think it can work like a market because if you update the game with DLC at a consistent rate, the content will grow and would make accessing the content more fluid.

Plus, if you update the content within this mode, it would help with the release times for the DLC and not make a problem in each region as I believe it would help with the content distribution. For example, right now (September 25th, 11:22 a.m., U.S.A. EST) not everyone has DLC because each region is releasing the content at different times based on each region's PSN Store discretion. Having a centralized service can have a player buy the content and receive the content content at the same time as another person in a different region.

Well, first, you wanted individualization. So far we have that.

Other than that, it looks to me, it just sounds like a more convenient way of getting the DLC within the game, rather than the PSN store. Each region is only divided by a day or so, so distribution for all regions isn't really a problem. Plus, most of the times, DLC within a game corresponds to the PSN update anyway.

Also, talking about this is a bit worrying. If there is one thing I don't want PD and GT to become is a game of some kind of DLC subscription service. DLC should be modestly distributed, not an insane routine. I don't want to have try to keep up budget wise, on trying to keep up to date on the latest content every month.

Right now, let's just hope that Kaz is not thinking about DLC and get his team to pack in as much content as possible by the deadline, so our need for DLC shouldn't be as necessary as we think it might.

I think Gran Turismo series should be the same as the GT4 and older games...tons of cars and not DLC at all.

But of course if new cars are available or come after GT6 launch they can make those and add to the game...yes with DLC´s.

We are the ones who ask for DLC´s because the game can´t please all people at once with the content inside. That´s the main problem. How can you make a racing game with cars that please everyone...even Forza 4 has a great car list and people still want more and more. Even they want tracks but they keep releasing cars...and if you think about it twice you are going to buy cars that you are not going to use at all...

The idea of DLC is good at some point and bad at the other...but with GT being a huge game talking about content...if they release DLC´s as Forza 4 did since first month, having 1000 cars inside with tons that you never touched or going to...is it really necessary?

GT games are about the career, championships, special events and yes cars...of course if you want just one that doesn´t came with the game...well you still have 1000...don´t know really...how do i know what people wants?...

P.S: at least in rFactor modders make racing leagues of all kind and you choose what you want...but 2 things...1- it is for free and 2- you can have everything or just pass and dedicate in what you really want.

Here's an idea...

What if ALL cars were DLC in the sense that you have to pay PD/Sony to use them in the game. No cars would be give for rewards, only game credits that could be used to modify cars purchased with real money. Only a handful of low end starter cars would be available at the start of the game to get the player started.

Here's an idea...

What if ALL cars were DLC in the sense that you have to pay PD/Sony to use them in the game. No cars would be give for rewards, only game credits that could be used to modify cars purchased with real money. Only a handful of low end starter cars would be available at the start of the game to get the player started.

Pay a game to pay more for the rest then? No.

You described more or less a F2P model that it is not new at all.

Go check Auto Club Revolution or RaceRoom Racing Experience.
In ACR you don´t pay for the game and you unlock cars with your level up to 35 (every 5 levels you get a car) and then you have a selection of cars divided in classes where you can buy with real money and some with credits that you have in the game. And you can rent cars too.

Then with your credits you unlock upgrades for it. Just by playing.

The system works but for GT series could be so so so bad that you can´t even imagine.

(ACR has better physics than GT5 though)

All I'm going to say is that if there is DLC from day 1, then there is something seriously wrong with PD's business ethic.

I think the Rock Band-esque store is a great idea. Then we also sa've the hassle of downloading the items, then waiting for the game to load, installing them, then having to sit through the delivery screen. It'd be buy the dlc, go to garage, race on the track. Simple as that.

👍 JunkiePanda, Thank you for condensing my wall of text. I appreciate it! 👍

Well, first, you wanted individualization. So far we have that.

Other than that, it looks to me, it just sounds like a more convenient way of getting the DLC within the game, rather than the PSN store. Each region is only divided by a day or so, so distribution for all regions isn't really a problem. Plus, most of the times, DLC within a game corresponds to the PSN update anyway.

Also, talking about this is a bit worrying. If there is one thing I don't want PD and GT to become is a game of some kind of DLC subscription service. DLC should be modestly distributed, not an insane routine. I don't want to have try to keep up budget wise, on trying to keep up to date on the latest content every month.

Right now, let's just hope that Kaz is not thinking about DLC and get his team to pack in as much content as possible by the deadline, so our need for DLC shouldn't be as necessary as we think it might.

1) I would NEVER want this game to become a subscription based service. That was not my intention of the idea. It's starting to get bad with the VIP Online Passes that other games are starting to adopt, and it would not be in the best interests of the franchise to do so.

2) I also agree that the distribution of DLC content should not be done rapidly. I think having 1-2 month between each DLC update is suffice and appropriate. Plus, even though the disparity with the availability of new DLC is within a day or two, I still feel that this is an issue that should be addressed. I think rather that the content should be released at the same time or there should be an understanding of a set time for releases. For example, if PSN states that the DLC is to be released at 12 midnight, PSN should rather release the content at 12 midnight (Japanese Time for Japan developed games, US EST for US developed games, etc.), or 12 midnight release based on time zone, which would equate to an hour difference per zone. I feel that a more structure should be put into place with this in order to avoid confusion.

3) I am all for having as much content as possible at Day 1. But, I am looking at this from a standpoint that eventually, Gran Turismo could reach its plateau. In my opinion, any game that is based on realism (sports, shooters, simulation) will hit this plateau where there is nothing that may be left to improve upon because there is a plateau in the video game technology. I know this may be an idea for future Gran Turismo games that are beyond GT6, but it still should be something that is set up now so the system could be worked upon and be sustainable in the future.

I think single content and packs as DLC would be great. There are some who have to have every car and item so packs would be a great thing to combine what they want in a single download.
Example: Muscle Car Pack, Supercar Pack, Rally Car Pack, Stealth Paint Pack, Tracks of California.

Individual items could be for those who are picky or do not need every Nissan and Toyota 86 combination.
Example: Koenigsegg, Honda NSX Concept '12, Stealth Black paint chip, Spa track.

Latest Posts

Back