GT6 Downforce Parameters

• Thread starter Champ2014
  • 5 comments
United States
United States
Okay first off, the newer and much larger numbers in GT6 seem to me to be not much more than a simple 10X multiplier over GT5. Anyone agree? I cross listed a number of cars and found that this seems to be fairly consistent. Not exact, but close. Please correct if you find differently.

Second, I really like the fact that there are Downforce numbers in the tuning list of each car, even if you have no added aero parts and even if you can't change them. In GT5 you only had aero tuning if you had a race car or if you added a wing. Beyond that, I always found it frustrating that you couldn't cross reference basic cars within GT5.
For instance, in GT5 neither the McLaren MP4 nor the F1 had any indication of what to expect from with regards to downforce unless you bought wings. It just sort of "felt", by driving them both a lot, that the F1 had more downforce than the MP4.
Now, in GT6, this makes sense. Even without buying wings, you can scroll down in your tuning list and find that the MP4 has significantly less natural downforce than the F1.
Of course, you can't manipulate either of these unless you buy aero parts. But it would seem that you can at least get an idea of what to expect from a car when it comes to down force.
Also, along these lines, note that (all else being relatively equal) the F1 Stealth has pretty much TWICE the natural downforce as the stock F1. I haven't purchased either of the GTR yet, so I don't know about those. But this would explain why "stealth" cars were so much easier to drive than their stock counterparts in GT5.

Anyway, I have a couple observations about this new parameter to GT6.

1)As we go about creating online databases of these new cars, I think it would be wise to include the natural downforce numbers of each car. This has a huge impact on the viability of a car and it's performance. And, much to my frustration, is a number that is hidden while shopping at the dealership.
I've already seen a bunch of people complaining that certain MR cars are always spinning out. (Personally, I think it's mostly driving style.) But a quick look at these downforce numbers seems to explain a lot! For instance, the Huayra has WAY less downforce than the F1. And given it's torque, it's no surprise that it's much more difficult to drive entering/exiting corners.

2)Has anyone noticed exactly how buying wings effects things??
Example. I took my F1 and bought a rear wing and the front splitter. I expected to be able to then go into tuning and "tune" both the front and rear downforce.
What I found was actually a little confusing. First, my rear downforce went up by a maximum of 20 (from 450 to 470). Plus I was now able to "tune" this aspect of the car. But on the other hand, adding the splitter to the front didn't seem to make any difference. Not only did the stock downforce number remain unchanged (200) but it also remained grayed out. No ability to "tune" the front downforce.
Now, in GT5 you couldn't tune the front even after buying the front splitter either. But at least it showed that that you had "20" units of downforce in the front. So, in GT6, I'm not surprised by the inability to "tune" the front splitter. But I am surprised that my downforce number didn't change from stock.

Anyone have any thoughts, insights, similar observations with other cars??

So basically, all of the custom parts are for cosmetic purposes only. As not even the rear wings do all that much.
I guess I should have figured.

Also, I don't think that rear wings add performance points either. Meaning that, when installed, even with aero all the way down...GT5 would still add performance points to your car...however in GT6 the spoiler being added, or downforce in general has no effect on performance points

Splitters not working is carried over from GT5. All parts except wings have always been useless.

This is extremely disappointing and makes PD seem very lazy. All aero parts should have an impact and be adjustable.

Also, multiplying the arbitrary downforce number by 10 is meaningless. What about real units?

It just seems like they didn't care to do anything well.

Latest Posts

Back