GT6: Dualshock 3 Acceleration and braking delay (Input Lag?)... Fixable?

• Thread starter Drum_Tank
  • 23 comments
Canada
Canada
Drum_Tank-
Hey everyone! So i usually use a wheel and some of my clubmates use a DS3 to drive. some members are getting upset that they are slower than wheels, so i went to a room by myself and tested driving with a controller. the most troubling thing i noticed is that (For example) when you press (X) to accelerate, the white "Gas pedal" Bar on the bottom left hand corner goes up much slower than when i use my gas pedal for my wheel. same for braking. its kinda hard to describe so i hope you know what i'm talking about. basically when using a controller,even if you press your Accelerate button as fast and as hard as you can, the in-game acceleration meter goes up gradually. and no its not Traction Control, mine is always [OFF]

I know exactly what you're talking about. I have a G27 but usually play on controller as I'm worthless on my wheel. I noticed this as well and wondered why it was like that. Does anyone know?

Pressure sensitive button's.
Just push em harder, or change to L2, R2.

Edit: sorry just read the "even if I push as hard or as fast as I can" quote :)

Yeh just change to the triggers, you'll be spinning out in no time :)

Even the L2/R2 aren't instant. It still takes about half a second for the bar to catch up to being fully pressed.

Try this: fully press the R2 button as fast as you can, repeatedly while watching the bar. Notice it never goes more than 1/4 of the way. Does this happen with wheel pedals?

Even the L2/R2 aren't instant. It still takes about half a second for the bar to catch up to being fully pressed.

Try this: fully press the R2 button as fast as you can, repeatedly while watching the bar. Notice it never goes more than 1/4 of the way. Does this happen with wheel pedals?
Well im not sure what you mean when you say " never goes more than a quarter of the way" but heres another thing; with my pedals, the white accel. bar MATCHES my pedal input. on DS3, i tried switching Accel/Brake to R2/L2, preese as hard and as fast as i could and it did not match. it still went up slower. :/

*edit* ooh i know what you mean! YEAH! even RELEASING gas brake pedal take time for the bars to go DOWN! its unrealistic and infuriating

Well im not sure what you mean when you say " never goes more than a quarter of the way" but heres another thing; with my pedals, the white accel. bar MATCHES my pedal input. on DS3, i tried switching Accel/Brake to R2/L2, preese as hard and as fast as i could and it did not match. it still went up slower. :/

*edit* ooh i know what you mean! YEAH! even RELEASING gas brake pedal take time for the bars to go DOWN! its unrealistic and infuriating

+1 Never noticed that before @SuzukaStar mentioned it

Holy Crap. I was playing the game when I found this thread and decided to test it out because I dont have a wheel. You're absolutely right. I've never noticed it before. But Throttle control is still hard. Its much easier for tires to spin out even with the delay. So maybe....that's why the delay is there?? Because just imagine, if throttle control is already hard and its easier to spin out the tires, Imagine if throttle response were matched with pressing the button. It would be near impossible to drive without TC.

Holy Crap. I was playing the game when I found this thread and decided to test it out because I dont have a wheel. You're absolutely right. I've never noticed it before. But Throttle control is still hard. Its much easier for tires to spin out even with the delay. So maybe....that's why the delay is there?? Because just imagine, if throttle control is already hard and its easier to spin out the tires, Imagine if throttle response were matched with pressing the button. It would be near impossible to drive without TC.
Yes, I believe that's why it's there. It's most likely.

The thing that bothers me most is the brake. If abs is already at 1, and im using a controller i want to get on/ off the brake at full/ minimum power asap. Its like the game adds "0.5" TS/ABS automatically if you use ds3.

The only thing i havent tried is assigning the gas / brake for analog stick up/down. Can someone test that? Also try d-pad?

I've always used the right analog stick for gas/brake since day one, I have tried using them so called triggers but never liked them... the amount of games I've passed up coz you cant re-map the controls from triggers to analog stick.

I've used the DS3 for a while but then changed to the Xbox 360 game pad and found the 360 gamepad much more usable then the ds3. Btw I use the crossfire adapter for the 360pad.... works like a charm (",)

I used to use the right stick for gas and brake from GT1 through GT4, but the only thing I didn't like was you couldn't "left-foot brake" that way. Not that I use the brake and the gas at the same time much anyway, but it's nice to know I can.

I used to use the right stick for gas and brake from GT1 through GT4, but the only thing I didn't like was you couldn't "left-foot brake" that way. Not that I use the brake and the gas at the same time much anyway, but it's nice to know I can.
Set brake to L2 and Right stick, then you can left foot brake on the odd occasion that you need to 👍

This is all interesting reading though, I never realised there was a delay when using the buttons

Never had this problem, but I use the original sixaxis controller, instant full throttle so... maybe it's a DS3 thing.

I use "X".

The one thing about the DS3 that irritates me is that the throttle input bar registers full before the stick or even the trigger reaches full travel. It makes it hard to play by feel when I know there's more throttle to give but the computer says otherwise. Like he controller goes to 11 or something.

The delay you are referring to is input lag. Wireless controllers have this condition and is normal. For more direct input, a controller has to be wired like G27 which is completely wired. Not all wired controllers will help reduce input lag. An example with games that have fast button action like Smash Bros. have large amount of professional players that use a Gamecube controller to avoid input lag for precise movements.

I hope this is helpful.

The delay you are referring to is input lag. Wireless controllers have this condition and is normal. For more direct input, a controller has to be wired like G27 which is completely wired. Not all wired controllers will help reduce input lag. An example with games that have fast button action like Smash Bros. have large amount of professional players that use a Gamecube controller to avoid input lag for precise movements.

I hope this is helpful.
Ahh input lag! why didint i think of that! (i have friends who are religous to Meele and Project M) i wonder if having your DS3 plugged in "Charging" will reduce this effect... i hope so

The one thing about the DS3 that irritates me is that the throttle input bar registers full before the stick or even the trigger reaches full travel. It makes it hard to play by feel when I know there's more throttle to give but the computer says otherwise. Like he controller goes to 11 or something.

Agreed, it's one of my major issues with throttle application on the DS3. If we had the ability to recalibrate it and set it to be completely linear it would be a lot better.

I hope this is helpful.

I'm not convinced it's input lag in this situation, because none of the other buttons, sticks, triggers suffer from it. It's only when it's bound to the throttle that it seems to go up at a certain set speed which causes it to lag behind your inputs.

You should also take into account that the TV itself is the greatest source of input lag. Some models with a lot of post processing in the loop have input lag towards 200 ms.

You should also take into account that the TV itself is the greatest source of input lag. Some models with a lot of post processing in the loop have input lag towards 200 ms.

Still does it for me, playing on my Dell U2312HM which has incredibly low input lag compared to most monitors.

Important new info! ok i just did a crazy experiment with interesting results! On my DS3, i have Accel set to [R2]. I kept my Wheel plugged IN this time and tried pressing r2 as fast and as hard as i could. INSTANT. the DS3 controller was not wired in any way to the wheel/PS3. how is it when a wheel is plugged in, the controller becomes instant?? Im starting to belive its NOT input lag anymore...

i know Exactly what you mean; if you have especially [R2] set as your Accelerate, and you raise it up slowly, once it reaches around 80% of its travel, the game takes it to Full throttle:grumpy: the effect is more responsive with a wheel plugged in, idk why GT configured their controllers this way. anyone have any fixes other than having a wheel?

A way to calibrate the controller would be fantastic @Fuzzi0n. If only there was a way. I have a feeling this issue was present in GT5 also. Never noticed it on the earlier installments.

That's really strange @Drum_Tank. I wonder how much wine Kaz and the team were drinking while programming the controls. Maybe we need to be 3 sheets to the wind and all will be well. :lol:

Funny how PD decides to simulate the time taken for a person to physically press down the gas or brake yet makes shifting with the DS3 impossibly quick.
Exactly. Every other button is instant; why not arguably the 2 most important??

Back