GT6 huge update patches and limited HDD space

• Thread starter NixxxoN
  • 58 comments
I think the videos are a great part of the game, and if I want to watch one of them more than once, why should I have to stream it again? Just buy a bigger hard drive, I bought a 1TB HDD for $90 almost 2 years ago, Seagate too.
Of course you solve this buying a large HDD, but this situation that a game forces you to buy one is a bit stupid IMO. GT5/6 install+update sizes are ridiculous... I've installed several games with less than 1 GB and both GT5/GT6 rise above 10 or more GB.

Of course you solve this buying a large HDD, but this situation that a game forces you to buy one is a bit stupid IMO. GT5/6 install+update sizes are ridiculous... I've installed several games with less than 1 GB and both GT5/GT6 rise above 10 or more GB.
It's a bit of give and take, longer load times or few gigs on hdd. There's still a cheap fix for it, so I don't know why you're so worked up, I remember having to buy expensive ram back in the day because a game required more ram than my PC had. Game data has increased and will continue to increase with new games, are you surprised? Just buy a cheap (price not model) hdd and your issue is solved.

Non-issue? False, the big issue here is the ridiculous size of the patches, which contain ridiculous sized HD videos. PD should fix that! Wasted PS3 HDD space!

I agree 100%, this is an issue that should be addressed. Some people have small 12gb or 40gb drives, so is it really reasonable that they should have to buy new drives just to accommodate huge video downloads that really should be optional? I don't think so!

GT-TV in GT5 was much better, if you wanted to download the video's you had the choice. Forcing people into downloading huge video files is a waste of time for those who don't want to view them, have slow internet speeds, or have smaller hard drives.

Very thoughtless of PD when in this modern day & age they could've found a way to stream them, or at the very least make them optional.

👍

Last edited:
Non-issue? False, the big issue here is the ridiculous size of the patches, which contain ridiculous sized HD videos. PD should fix that! Wasted PS3 HDD space!

There is a fix, it's called version 1.0 of the game. There you'll find the original game you paid for without those pointless, wasted ridiculously over-sized patches!

Hope that solves you problem :)

No... If you don't have the space or the game you can't play it.

If your hdd is too small get a bigger one... Sony literally couldn't have made it any easier to upgrade/swap the hdd on a ps3...
If a game meets the minimal requirements, some new content should not force you into buying new hardware because it then exceeds those requirements. Not if that same content makes it impossible for you to get the bugfixes that go along with it. No sane developer does this, even on PC.

I see no problem with games that are bigger to begin with, you can just not buy them or upgrade your hardware, like you said. 👍 But you shouldn't be put in a position where you can no longer patch your game.

That said, I don't own or would want to own a 12GB PS3, because it's basically useless for above reasons. :lol:

Really, some advice here is great... expect people to change harddrives in PS3? Is driving a game equal to knowing how to change harddrives? How about Sony giving us possibility to have external drives instead, that should be the demand.

VBR
GT-TV in GT5 was much better, if you wanted to download the video's you had the choice. Forcing people into downloading huge video files is a waste of time for those who don't want to view them, have slow internet speeds, or have smaller hard drives.
I think even the replacement Spec II intro video was an optional GT-TV download instead of included in the Spec II patch itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really, some advice here is great... expect people to change harddrives in PS3? Is driving a game equal to knowing how to change harddrives? How about Sony giving us possibility to have external drives instead, that should be the demand.
It's not rocket science, really easy stuff. You can even find videos on YouTube to follow along in case you are afraid…

You can also take it to a shop to have it done so let's not all jump on Sony here, you're the one who bought the low capacity hdd equipped console that's 7 years old.

Last edited:
It's not rocket science, really easy stuff. You can even fInd videos on YouTube to follow along in case you are afraid…
You greatly overestimate how technologically minded the typical person is; and this does nothing to explain why the HD videos shouldn't be optional as they were in GT5 rather than a slipstreamed part of the bug fixes and actual content updates of the game itself.

You can also take it to a shop to have it done so let's not all jump on Sony here, you're the one who bought the low capacity hdd equipped console that's 7 years old.
I don't see anyone here blaming Sony, and again:

839731.jpg

I can go into Target or Wal-Mart or whatever right now and buy that PS3. It's a good deal cheaper, and a casual buyer wouldn't understand the significance as it relates to games; nor would they necessarily know what to do about it when they did run into the wall.

Last edited by a moderator:
You greatly overestimate how technologically minded the typical person is; and this does nothing to explain why the HD videos shouldn't be optional as they were in GT5 rather than a slipstreamed part of the bug fixes and actual content updates of the game itself.

I don't see anyone here blaming Sony, and again:

839731.jpg

I can go into Target or Wal-Mart or whatever right now and buy that PS3.
Read @Mulan 's post, he said we should demand external drive capability from Sony.

I agree with everyone that the 12GB PS3 is pretty useless, but no one is forcing you to buy it. Do your research before you buy a product. I have a 120GB PS3, and since I only play GT 5/6 and GTA 4/5, it's enough for me. Streaming videos is crap if someone wants to watch them more than once, the number of people that want to do that probably outnumber the amount of people who run out of space on their HDD due to a 1.5 GB update. Change the HDD if you don't have enough space, either by yourself or take it to a shop, pretty darn simple.

Read @Mulan 's post, he said we should demand external drive capability from Sony.
With Sony's general, justified paranoia about the system's security being cracked by external devices again, it will never happen.

I agree with everyone that the 12GB PS3 is pretty useless, but no one is forcing you to buy it. Do your research before you buy a product.
My research as a layman says that GT6 requires 256MB of space and this cheap new PS3 I can buy has 12GB on it. I might have even had a PS3 in the past and had a game that required patches; at which point my layman experience was that most games have a few hundred megabytes of patches at most.

Streaming videos is crap if someone wants to watch them more than once, the number of people that want to do that probably outnumbers the amount of people who run out of space on their HDD due to a 1.5 GB update.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_dilemma

Change the HDD if you don't have enough space, either by yourself or take it to a shop, pretty darn simple.
So now I'm paying someone to upgrade the hard drive in my PS3 because PD couldn't continue what they were doing in GT5 and allow you to option to download the bandwidth hogging, hard drive filling videos rather than making them mandatory as part of the game patches (which also include bug fixes and the like).

With their general, justified paranoia about the system's security being cracked, it will never happen.

My research as a layman says that GT6 requires 256MB or space and this cheap new PS3 I can buy has 12GB on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_dilemma

So now I'm paying someone to upgrade the hard drive in my PS3 because PD couldn't continue what they were doing in GT5 and allow you to option to download the bandwidth hogging, hard drive filling videos rather than making them mandatory as part of the game patches (which also include bug fixes and the like).
There is no false dilemma here. You also don't have to pay anyone to change your HDD, you can do it yourself. When I buy a PC I know at some point I will upgrade some components of it. If PD released a 100GB update I would just change my HDD if I wanted to continue playing the game and get the update. Stop crying and solve your problem, you have many options.

As far as your "research" goes, guess you missed the first Google Search result: http://www.gran-turismo.com/sg/gt6/manual/#!/save_load/autosave

There is no false dilemma here.
The solutions that you keep forcing of "include the videos into patches" or "stream the videos off the internet" is the false dilemma, since multiple times by multiple posters it has been pointed out that GT5 did not do either thing with any of the videos there.

You also don't have to pay anyone to change your HDD, you can do it yourself.
I imagine if everyone could simply do it themselves, many of the warnings and answers in the FAQ for doing so that are blatant common sense statements would not need to be there. This is the same game system where Best Buy set up and advertised a service to upgrade the PS3 firmware; so no, this sort of thing doesn't come so naturally to some people.

When I buy a PC I know at some point I will upgrade some components of it.
It's nice to know that you're not the kind of person who isn't technically minded, but your high skill level is not particularly insightful for this discussion about the people who truly are not. For a franchise with a much wider demographic than is the norm for videogames, you are absolutely going to run into the "What key is 'any key'" people more than you would with a game about simulating the joys of working in the command prompt in Linux.

If PD released a 100GB update I would just change my HDD if I wanted to continue playing the game and get the update.
My heart would go out to the people living in, say, Australia.

As far as your "research" goes, guess you missed the first Google Search result: http://www.gran-turismo.com/sg/gt6/manual/#!/save_load/autosave
Um... so... I suppose that's supposed to help someone who doesn't fully understand computers, but I certainly can't see how. If anything, "at least 10 GB" is going to confuse them more, since even people who regularly work with computers get tripped up by the difference between installed space and usable space.

Stop crying and solve your problem, you have many options.
I think it's cute that you think I'm arguing for my own experiences and skill level; what with the over 40GB on the SSD that I installed in my CECHA PS3, that I also field stripped down to the bare motherboard to replace the thermal paste, upgraded the fan to the original 19-blade design, and replaced the Blu Ray drive by swapping the daughterboard when it broke; rather than just arguing for the people who don't know how to do those things and shouldn't be expected to when it is beyond their capability over something that shouldn't be compulsory in the first place.

This all makes me wonder what you would say to the people who'd have issue with these sorts of updates for the even bigger elephant in the room that is bandwidth caps. "Buy a better internet package"?

The solutions that you keep forcing of "include the videos into patches" or "stream the videos off the internet" is the false dilemma, since multiple times by multiple posters it has been pointed out that GT5 did not do either thing with any of their videos.

I imagine if everyone could do it themselves, many of the warnings and answers in the FAQ for doing so that are blatant common sense answers would not be there.

It's nice to know that you're not the kind of person who isn't technically minded, but your skill level is not particularly insightful for this discussion about the people who truly are not. For a franchise with a much wider demographic than is the norm for videogames, you are absolutely going to run into the "What key is 'any key'" people more than you would with a game about the joys or working in the command prompt in Linux.

My heart would go out to the people living in, say, Australia.

Um... so... I suppose that's supposed to help someone who doesn't fully understand computers, but I certainly can't see how. If anything, "at least 10 GB" is going to confuse them more, since even people who regularly work with computers get tripped up by the difference between installed space and usable space.

I think it's cute that you think I'm arguing for my own experiences and skill level; what with the over 40GB on the SSD that I installed in my CECHA PS3, that I also field stripped down to the bare motherboard to replace the thermal paste, upgraded the fan to the original 19-blade design, and replaced the Blu Ray drive by swapping the daughterboard when it broke; rather than just arguing for the people who don't know how to do those things and shouldn't be expected to when it is beyond their capability over something that shouldn't be compulsory in the first place.

This all makes me wonder what you would say to the people who'd have issue with these sorts of updates for the even bigger elephant in the room that is bandwidth caps. "Buy a better internet package"?
Of course buy a better internet package, if I need more than what I have, there's only one solution I see fit. Wow, I'm amazed at your technical prowess…congratulations…You replaced thermal paste…bravo!

As far as warnings go; coffee cups say "caution hot"…

As far as this discussion goes; I'm done, upgrade your HDD and stop crying, times change and data requirements expand.

I'm very pleased each time we get a GT6 update but, man, what the heck are those sizes? 1 GB every time just for a handful of cars or less and an alternative layout of two tracks? And the 1.07 one was more than 1 GB aswell. Seriously????
What do we need to do if we have only 40 GB in our PS3??

Just thank your lucky stars we didn't get "one track a month"....

Of course buy a better internet package,
The comment about people living in Australia was supposed to be a hint.

if I need more than what I have, there's only one solution I see fit.
It's nice that you're so narrow minded when it comes to solving problems even when other solutions are spelled out, I guess.

Wow, I'm amazed at your technical prowess…congratulations…You replaced thermal paste…bravo!
Don't get bitter about your inability to debate the topic without assuming the other person was deficient when they only went so far as to argue why your proficiency is not the norm.

As far as this discussion goes; I'm done, upgrade your HDD and stop crying, times change and data requirements expand.
That's good, because as far as this discussion goes you never actually said anything.

Last edited:
Data requirements expand indeed, but never forced past initial system requirements during the lifecycle of a game, except in PD world. Or would you just accept it if a PC games new mandatory patch would force you to get a new GPU or CPU or double your memory? I don't think so. Optional is fine of course, like texture packs, new content, etc. 👍

The comment about people living in Australia was supposed to be a hint.

It's nice that you're so narrow minded when it comes to solving problems even when other solutions are spelled out, I guess.

Don't get bitter about your inability to debate the topic without assuming the other person was deficient.

That's good, because as far as this discussion goes you never actually said anything.
I actually said a lot, but since you don't agree with me you chose to ignore and dismiss my points, and instead turned this into a personal attack on me. No need to make incorrect assumptions about me and say I'm narrow minded. Have a good day, you can again get your 2 cents in, I won't reply to your rubbish in this thread Robin Hood.

I actually said a lot
Every post you've made in this thread essentially amounted to "It's simple and cheap so just upgrade the hard drive" including the multiple times you literally said almost that exact thing. I pointed out that it's not really that simple to some people and gave reasoning why GT6 might exacerbate that technological wall, and you said could just pay someone to do it. I asked why you should have to pay someone to do something that really shouldn't be necessary and explained why it shouldn't be necessary, and you went back to saying that you don't need to pay someone because it's very simple so you could just do it yourself.

but since you don't agree with me you chose to ignore and dismiss my points
I don't see what you're hoping to prove with this rather humorous lie when anyone can read this thread and see what was said. I responded to every single one of your points to the extent of breaking them down by sentence; as well as brought up a reason that huge update sizes can be bad that is completely unrelated to hard drive size and may be insurmountable if you're unlucky enough to live in certain spots of the world.

The closest you got to ever to actually debating anything I said is acting like I was arguing because I don't know how to do it myself.

and instead turned this into a personal attack on me. No need to make incorrect assumptions about me and say I'm narrow minded.
It's not really an assumption at this point on this particular issue; nor was it really a personal attack.

Have a good day, you can again get your 2 cents in, I won't reply to your rubbish in this thread Robin Hood.
I'm pretty sure you already said that once. Wonder if it will stick this time.

Just wondering...

PD promised a lot of things we don't have received (yet).
If and when they come, they will probably also be huge.
Are we not allowed to get them because some people have limited HDD space ?

If those updates are just feature updates, then there isn't much reason to be against them (well, speaking with tangible reasons; as opposed to wishing PD actually released games feature complete). Feature updates (in theory) wouldn't require as much space as content updates anyway. If only half of those huge feature updates are actually the feature part and the other half is some fluff bit that in GT5 the player wouldn't have been required to download, then sure. There's perfect reason to have issue with that.

I'm sure Sony made swapping hard drives extremely easy for a reason (it's literally in the manual demonstrating how to do so, and it's one screw to un-do (on a slim)), that reason - to be future proof! You guys should really see some other games out there, some of them come pretty high in patch total size. This is the future of gaming, huge data consumption. You can't blame a developer for making sizes so big, we have to blame yourselves for wanting more but don't want to accommodate.

Do I think it's right to force video into the patches, no. But I do feel like we have all the resources to prevent hard drive space shortage to make it a non issue. Every game out there adds things to patches that not everyone wants/needs (paid DLC). I'm constantly updating games with a gig in size that mainly host DLC that I usually don't want. Is it a cause for uproar? No. I can keep rest assured that if by chance I do want it, it'll be there and not have to wait.

Like I said though, they made swapping hard drives easy for a reason - I'm surprised more people don't take advantage of this.

I can go into Target or Wal-Mart or whatever right now and buy that PS3. It's a good deal cheaper, and a casual buyer wouldn't understand the significance as it relates to games; nor would they necessarily know what to do about it when they did run into the wall.
Imagine all those moms and older people buying this console for their kids/ grandkids, not knowing how much 12GB is or thinking it would be enough to play videogames. Then those kids buy GT6 and they can't play any other games anymore... You can talk all you want about informing yourself before you buy things like these, but console manufacturers know as well as anyone that they can take advantage of non technically minded people just looking at the cheaper price and then screwing them over in the process, bit of a scam if you ask me releasing consoles on the market that are a bit cheaper but practically useless.

The same as all the other ps3's on the market... Maybe you should have just googled like two things before making a pointless thread?
Maybe he just wants to discuss how GT6 uses up way too much space compared to any other game? :dopey:

I have an 80GB fat and had to delete some game installs to fit the update. Some of that 1GB of the latest update was the HD senna video, and I suspect allot the rest of it might be content that will later surface where a small patch will unlock it.

Like always, still do not know what PD are playing at, they promised regular paid DLC and we are yet to see, and oh my will we ever see the promised community features?

I remember those 12GB PS3s came out last year during black friday. Same thing Microsoft did with the 360 arcade console years ago, although it was a much lower storage capacity. Point being that in this day and age, with how much raw data we need to save for files, old HDDs can't handle the demands of the dedicated gamer.

The HDD for the PS3 has 6 screws, takes 5 minutes to swap out, and another hour to reprogram for software update and formatting the new drive. I've had a 500GB HDD since I believe late 2011, and it cost around $60 back then. So, for the price of a new game and a few hours to install, you can expand your storage to more than you'll need for 100 PS3 games. It is only a matter of time before PS4 users experience the same problem, since it takes 20-50GB of space per title. I swapped in a 1.5TB HDD on mine, and they have made it easier as it only takes 5 screws to replace now. :)

Back