GT6 is a great game. So was GT5.

• Thread starter Garland
  • 21 comments
United States
United States
I like GT5. No, not "liked", not "wanted to like", not "unironically"... I liked GT5. I feel like I'm the only one who actually understands what that game is; "more of the same"... like every other entry. I feel like I'm the only one who actually understands what "more of the same" means, particularly within the larger scope of "quality". Quite honestly, I'd go as far as to say GT5 is better than what people wanted and want, and worth a lot more than $60.

I really like GT6. No, not compared to 5, not "in spite of" 5, and certainly not "in spite of" the PS3... I really like GT6. Particularly compared to the series as a whole, because this game does certain small yet key things no other game does. And, speaking of small and key things, and GT5... 6 fixes a lot of the real problems with that game even as it adds others, which are both indeed small and key.

Because yes, what really matters about GT are the little things like Moon Over The Castle blaring in the pre-race screens of the GT World Championship event, and this is in a series where its own "career mode" actively takes away from the package.

I was furious that, for 5, I was never even able to give PDI $0.01 of any money that came into my possession, so I bought GT6 new, and I only regret knowing that part of the fanbase who dares to show themselves.

Now, see, here's the fun part: I wasn't very familiar with the series until 5. I really liked what I saw, and I had no idea what people were really complaining about, no matter how many times I read the same drivel repeated over and over again and no matter how many times I tried to examine every little detail of 5 I could. Regardless, it was after this that I decided to become more familiar with the series as a lot of the complaints were heavily drenched in that terrible thing known as nostalgia. You can probably guess what the results were, even if you don't... ahem... "agree" with them.

So... yes. GT6 is a great game, and so was GT5. GT6 on the PS4, if it happens, will be a great game; so will the next GT, no matter what it is or what it's called.

I'm tired of the vocal minority, but also the bandwagoning over what amounts to sheer lying. I'm tired of the fake nostalgia, and the hilariously high-effort attempts at looking a hundred times smarter than those particular individuals could ever possibly be. I'm tired of the half-assing, and it's ironic that people feel the need to half-ass complaining about half-assing, but I guess that's just the nature of "standard complaining". I could name names, so many names, but in mere minutes I'd be naming half the forum, because that's what this has always been.

Let's just put it this way... "die-hard GT fans" were not "the ones who were there at 5 Prologue and dropped because they didn't like 5". The real "die-hards" think GT5 was a great game, think GT6 is a great game, think the whole series is a bunch of great games, and otherwise try to stay as far away from the fanbase as possible because any such association is in some way a waste of their time.

Cue pagefuls of (spam) posts with hundreds of (fake) upvotes about how they can't find the point, accusations of trolling on my part (as if!), some nonsense about how I shouldn't be here, and otherwise continuing to spread the lies that they do. Hm.

edit: Oh, and of course, I'm really really hype for the litany of updates we're getting. Except for B-spec. If that one's real. ZOMG ANOTHER IDULL GAEM??!??!??!

I'm a die-hard fan.
I liked GT5, although it had many downsides.
I love GT6, I think it is totally awesome. The new features, the new cars, a more difficult career mode, and mainly: the new graphics and physics. It just feels so much more intense.
The cars aren't as easy to drive any more, it's so much more realistic! It's really getting the most out of the PS3.

A tad colourful and even long winded maybe but if I understand your post correctly you're saying the whole Gran Turismo series is and has been great....I completely agree 👍

It is a matter of taste. I found GT5 a dissapointment. GT6 is simply allot better, so where GT3 and 4.

I agree with you totally!

Then again, I have a very high tolerance and patience for any game's problems... (X-Rebirth to name another recent release... which I greatly enjoy as well!)

I see people complain about this and that all the time, then a hundred others come after saying "oh yeah! definitely! that's the worst! I'll never buy another ___ from [ ] again!" etc. but in the end to me, they're just small problems I can easily overlook.

X-Rebirth had a LOT of game-breaking bugs and glitches, I agree, and I had some trouble going around them or finding solutions, but I still played for the parts that I liked... the Universe, the style, and I was just curious what was behind that glitch that I just couldn't get through, and when I finally managed to edit the save/mod the game enough that I got to the end, I really enjoyed all of it! and (a small spoiler) when getting past that 2nd gate, I was REALLY surprised and amazed at what I saw... it was beautiful!

There are MANY other examples of games, franchises, and companies getting constant hate or bashing because they did something "wrong" but I thoroughly enjoy and really don't care much at all about what that problem was. Mass Effect 3's ending was another thing that comes up to mind. Really? I enjoyed the game throughout! Ending was a bit of a letdown but really? THE WHOLE GAME was amazing!

Now, Gran Turismo... same argument comes back: it's the same game, same graphics, same vacuum sound, dull damage physics or lack thereof, 50 skylines, miatas, civics, etc. Polyphony is getting lazy, etc etc etc. oh and there's the unavoidable "Microtransactions!!!" pitchfork.

Oh, I really don't care one bit about that! Nothing is perfect and I can enjoy all I want from the parts that I actually CAN enjoy. The visuals are STUNNING, the Photo Mode is simply amazing! and I've spent HOURS on it already (only got the game yesterday... stayed up until 2:30am doing this: http://imgur.com/a/6W50I#0) The driving physics is greatly improved, etc. SO many great things I can say about the game! (but I really don't know how to, as I'm not that great with words...)

I really LOVE cars, and this game is PERFECT for me (although there is a list of cars I can think of that are missing unfortunately) and I'm really looking forward to how they can improve its downfalls like sound in the future (I hope they live up to their attention to detail in this department)

I am a fan since GT5 (I wanted to be before, but PS3 was my first console... bought with my own money I made myself, primarily for GT5, although I enjoy MANY other great games on the system as well) I can't say "I'm a hardcore fan, playing since the old GT days!" because I'm not, but I've always loved cars, and ALWAYS wanted to play the Gran Turismo of the days, and was very jealous of friends showing off their PS2 and GT3/4, etc.

I will always be a fan and will definitely buy myself a PS4 when GT7 comes (or announced, as I probably can't wait to play other games as well)

sorry for the super long reply

http://www.gamespot.com/gran-turismo-6/

I'd like you fans to read this (you like the game it's your full right), and tell me what points you don't agree on.
Cheers in advance :cheers:
Instead of pushing rhetoric laden, unoriginal journalistic babble onto us why don't you come up with an original argument...maybe we'll pay attention but I severely doubt it as we have already exercised our right to state that we love the game!

I despised some of the physics flaws in GT4. but I still love that game. Im about to fire it up again as I am waiting to "unwrap" my PS3 and GT6 for christmas. lol.

Ive played all the major GT releases since GT1 (except for GT5) and played FM1-FM4. I love em all for what they are. Its pointless to get so wound up and angry over a game, enjoy it for what it is, and if you dont enjoy it then go play something else. Simple as that.

http://www.gamespot.com/gran-turismo-6/

I'd like you fans to read this (you like the game it's your full right), and tell me what points you don't agree on.
Cheers in advance :cheers:
Like I've mentioned in my long post, it's not that I disagree with his mentioned points, it's just that I don't find that they're big enough of a problem to be a ... problem... (aka, I find them overblown)

I have absolutely NO problem looking over the sound issue, microtransaction can be completely ignored, AI has more to be desired, but it's just "part of the event" for me, and the way they set it up (1st place ~15-20 seconds ahead, and for you to catch up to win) is unique in its own way that gives Gran Turismo a feel of its own. I do want more to races to have a standing start though, especially on the Top Gear Test Track (like they do in the show) but that track's been removed =(

I adore Need For Speed series for the fun, unseriousness, and they really excelled in car/track choice, sound, and the night racing lighting effects (Shift 2 had an AMAZING racing feel)
Never played extensively as I don't own an XBox360 or One but I commend Turn 10 for Forza for making a beautifully crafted racing game that's also very entertaining to play, and thinking ahead (although I highly dislike the flat reflections and overly "fake looking" graphics, they look great, sure, but seeing a Forza screenshot, I can tell it's Forza... Some GT's Photo Mode shots can look SO DARN REAL!)
GT, I look it as really what Kaz said, it's sort of a tribute to Driving in general. The game really makes the cars, the stars. As an auto enthusiast, I really don't think I'll want to avoid neither of the 3, as well as many other great racing sims out there.

oh and lastly: customization is over-rated in my humble opinion... people asking for it in NFS, people complaining about lack of it in GT... meh... even in NFS, I mostly kept my cars plain colour, or very simple... I don't feel like a vehicle is a rolling canvas at all. All those anime characters or funny faces painted on an R8 or a 458 in Forza, I just find them silly. Good for the artist who managed to create them so well, but no thanks. I find the cars most beautiful the way they were made, their shape, their lines... not the "make up" they put on. (I look for the same in a woman to be honest lol) I think GRID and GRID2 struck the perfect balance of simplicity and variety for me in terms of customization and ease. Other than that, I don't need any more. Again, that's just me, as I'm sure many will strongly disagree with.

Last edited:
Instead of pushing rhetoric laden, unoriginal journalistic babble onto us why don't you come up with an original argument...maybe we'll pay attention but I severely doubt it as we have already exercised our right to state that we love the game!
On a forum the size of this one, I'm sure every argument has been said before ;)
My question is what you think of the review (if you would bother to read it).

On a forum the size of this one, I'm sure every argument has been said before ;)
My question is what you think of the review (if you would bother to read it).

I read it and as a piece or journalism it's not bad but you should realise that he's a journalist and as such gets paid for content such as that so its in his interest to present a view that aims to cause reaction and, more importantly, commercial value. I doubt that he actually plays the game beyond a few hours of research put in for the sake of the article and has presented some rather stale and tired perspectives that could have been leveled at just about every driving game ever launched. I'm not attacking the guy and in areas I even agree with him but overall his perspective on GT6 is not one that I share 👍

I read it and as a piece or journalism it's not bad but you should realise that he's a journalist and as such gets paid for content such as that so its in his interest to present a view that aims to cause reaction and, more importantly, commercial value. I doubt that he actually plays the game beyond a few hours of research put in for the sake of the article and has presented some rather stale and tired perspectives that could have been leveled at just about every driving game ever launched. I'm not attacking the guy and in areas I even agree with him but overall his perspective on GT6 is not one that I share 👍
Sounds like you think he was bribed or something :D, i think that's downgrading the man's professionalism there as he makes good points and evaluations...

Sounds like you think he was bribed or something :D, i think that's downgrading the man's professionalism there as he makes good points and evaluations...

I made absolutely no comment or statement about his professionalism nor did I make any inference that he was bribed or coerced and I most strongly object to your suggestion that I did. I don't agree with him or his article and frankly I'd rather you didn't try to incite argument by making unfounded and ridiculous claims just because you dislike the fact I don't agree with you!

The biggest complaint I had for GT5 and what made it huge disappointment to me was the career mode and overall single player experience. I don't even have to compare it to previous GT games to point out how bad it is. Not all complaints derive from nostalgia.

I made absolutely no comment or statement about his professionalism nor did I make any inference that he was bribed or coerced and I most strongly object to your suggestion that I did. I don't agree with him or his article and frankly I'd rather you didn't try to incite argument by making unfounded and ridiculous claims just because you dislike the fact I don't agree with you!

"I read it and as a piece or journalism it's not bad but you should realise that he's a journalist and as such gets paid for content such as that so its in his interest to present a view that aims to cause reaction and, more importantly, commercial value."

^ Sounded a bit like "bribed" to me that's all ;)

The biggest complaint I had for GT5 and what made it huge disappointment to me was the career mode and overall single player experience. I don't even have to compare it to previous GT games to point out how bad it is. Not all complaints derive from nostalgia.
This. And even if you do compare GT5 and GT6 with previous games, the ''fake'' nostalgia still holds true. Besides physics, online multiplayer and graphics, they're both lacking severely in comparison in many ways.

Let's just put it this way... "die-hard GT fans" were not "the ones who were there at 5 Prologue and dropped because they didn't like 5". The real "die-hards" think GT5 was a great game, think GT6 is a great game, think the whole series is a bunch of great games...

Glad you're telling us less-enlightened folk what "real" GT fans think. Little did I know it was impossible to love something and criticize it at the same time. We should just all blindly accept what's being given to us, that's why forums like GTP exist: so we can all agree on everything. That's where real debate and discussion come from.

...and otherwise try to stay as far away from the fanbase as possible because any such association is in some way a waste of their time.

Wait, wait...

Real fans = those who don't speak to fan base
You are speaking to the fan base
Garland =/= real fan

Got it, continue.

Let's just put it this way... "die-hard GT fans" were not "the ones who were there at 5 Prologue and dropped because they didn't like 5". The real "die-hards" think GT5 was a great game, think GT6 is a great game, think the whole series is a bunch of great games, and otherwise try to stay as far away from the fanbase as possible because any such association is in some way a waste of their time.

I'm not really sure what's a die-hard fan supposed to mean, a person who likes the game no matter what and claims the game's da best out there or a person who has realistic point of view and has no problems admitting the minuses?

This isn't related to GT only.

Back