GT6 Stereoscopic 3D

• Thread starter Metalsun
  • 16 comments
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
3D Ferrari Enzo Gemasolar by Metalsun1, on Flickr

Some of you will recognize these photos quickly but for the rest, get ready for some ocular gymnastics. These are stereoscopic images. One of various ways to represent a 3D image using 2D photos. I wanted to do this for a while but now got around to it. I have prepared these shots for you to see using the freeviewing “cross-eyed” method.

First, a little background. We perceive depth in space because of our binocular vision; one eye sees a different image than the other. Place your finger in front of you and close one eye while the other is open, then switch back and forth. Our brain takes into account the differences in the images, eye position and ocular lens focus in our eyes to determine depth.

To see these images correctly, here comes the gymnastics:
1. Position yourself directly in front and centered on the image.
2. Cross your eyes, but not too much, no need to embarrass yourself. You will see two images at first. Slowly ease up and straighten your eyes. The images will begin to get closer and join and end up with what seems 3 images. Keep your attention on the center one.
3. An alternative way would be to look and place you finger in front of your nose then slowly move your hand closer to the computer monitor.
4. Now, to work on you focus. This is completely unnatural, but some might get it right away. If not, keep staring at the center image and give it some time to get the focus right. Eventually, you’ll see it in complete focus and get blown away!

3D Lamborghini Aventador Syracuse by Metalsun1, on Flickr

“That’s crazy, how’d he do that?” Well, it’s quite simple. We need to recreate with our GT6 cameras what we do normally with our eyes. That is, take an image of our subject, then move the camera some distance away and take the other image. Use your photo editing software to combine the photos into one side-by-side image. Easy, right? Kind of. Things to consider:

1. At first, I tried to move the camera at similar distance as that of our eyes. Unfortunately, there is little effect on the 3D perception. So I increased the distance little by little, so much that then it became awful. So, you need to find that sweet spot in the middle.
2. Find a place in your image and define it as your center. That is where you will aim your camera reticle and take the shot. Your focus point could be somewhere else. On the second image, move the camera slowly some distance and use the same center reference.
3. Remember, the 3D effect works because of the differences in the images. So compose your shots to take advantage of different depths. A car with distant mountains is not “gonna” do it. You will end up with a “cardboard” car in a flat background. Put your subject in the middle of the environment. Case in point, look below at the way not to go.

GTR Nurbergring by Metalsun1, on Flickr

4. The depth-of-field adjustments of the f-stop will work, but be careful. Bokeh images look great in 2D but when using this method, the foreground and/or background will be blurry. This effect will mask out any differences in the images making them a little more flat, unless, that’s what you wanted to do for that particular image. Try to keep the image sharp.
5. If you "see" it and it still looks weird, switch positions. Your right photo image to your left side of your finished composition.

I hope this opens up a new world for you guys to explore. A good photo is not good enough, you now need to consider an effective 3D scene. Hey, after thinking about it, this is an effect that can be easily included in the game by PD.

Last edited:
huyiDBc.jpg

RWt4PyX.jpg

XQ74tdC.jpg

B60lglu.jpg

nUz5Ixx.jpg

Awesome Metalsun, just awesome.
I'm going to buy a 3D Bravia soon, and this just blew me away.
I've spent months trying different kind of Sony Bravias and I finally made my decision. They have THE BEST 3D out there, even if it's passive 3D. The last movie I tried was Prometheus, from Ridley Scott... WOW, that was 3D :bowdown:
This is not the same, but it's something. Thank you sir.

I have the Sony 3d head mount display... I'd thought the work getting used to that was an interesting kind of pain - however; it may be far easier to invest my time getting more comfortable there than doing the eye cross. Ouchies!

Irregardless, I believe the photo mode in game offers this frame formatting? I've been shooting 3d when I remember to set it, but I haven't rendered to my screen yet. (I wonder if I can get 3d on the older Bravia LCD I have...)

Oh! and by the by THANK YOU for the great photos.

This all reminds me of the days of yore and gore (late 1990's) playing helicopter sims and EQ in 3d with shutter sync glasses.

Eager Snake and MerleApAmber, what has me exited is the Oculus Rift, a VR headset with motion tracking. You can buy now a developer's kit for $350. It has limited gaming software but what I saw in the net look very cool. Imagine driving around and looking into a corner or the car next to you. Sony is also in the mix developing Project Morpheus, another VR headset. I have experienced VR headsets in the past, but the pixelated graphics were a let down. Now, with the Retina and OLED displays you can barely see the pixels. Can you see pixels in an Apple iPhone 4S? I can't.

interesting rocker gifs (?), Rock. Compared the eye cross?.... hummm some how that's (crossed eyes) just a bit more 'natural' thanks tho! Oh, classic Steve - have you seen his eagle kiss pistachio commercials? / big grin

Metal, I too am hoping Oculus does themselves proud when they have the retail product to market. Thx!

Eager Snake and MerleApAmber, what has me exited is the Oculus Rift, a VR headset with motion tracking. You can buy now a developer's kit for $350. It has limited gaming software but what I saw in the net look very cool. Imagine driving around and looking into a corner or the car next to you. Sony is also in the mix developing Project Morpheus, another VR headset. I have experienced VR headsets in the past, but the pixelated graphics were a let down. Now, with the Retina and OLED displays you can barely see the pixels. Can you see pixels in an Apple iPhone 4S? I can't.

I'm waiting for the Project Morpheus to be honest.
The HMZ is already a BEAST, and the only 3D that has truly convinced me is the 3D that Sony produces, specially the active 3D they have. They are leading the way in my opinion, even ahead of RED with the F65 in the cinema field.

I'm waiting for the Project Morpheus to be honest.

Agree, if they add tracking to (or even exceed) the t3w opticals they'll have a winner.

(but if someone were to paint the displays on my retinas I'd be ever so happy! - then it's only an accelerometer somewhere on the arc between the top of my head and my ear to do the rest!!)

Pretty cool idea here. My head hurts but some great shots.

I think this demonstrates how figuratively easy it would be to put the 3D back into the game. My guess though is that they're having a resource issue getting the interlacing to work without framerates dropping even more.

PsuP, I have to say, I truly enjoy coming back to that Lotus Lambo. The bright, clear wax shine on the metal just makes all the landscape reflections & speculars extraordinary.
Sorry for the mistake identity.

Last edited:
I finally have my Sony 3D Tv. It's amazing.
I don't know if this thread is still alive, but, is there anyone interested in 3D photos from GT6?

Latest Posts

Back