GT6 Transmission Tuning Made Easy [The Basics]

• Thread starter jtqmopar
  • 17 comments
United States
United States
jtqmopar
Transmission Tuning!
****This isn't my idea, I'm making possible what I got from the thread by @praiano63 in GT5, but since we don't have those nice "clicks" this will give you the same result.

****If someone wants to post the final gear to top speed formula I will add it to the post with credit to poster (or whoever posted it in that other thread that I can't find offhand)

So, you want those nice settings from GT5 where you could have clean shifts throughout the rev range? I can help with that. Determining the top speed will be up to you, but if you dont go max final then min top speed before doing this I recommend increasing the top speed value 2 "slides" higher than what you want your top speed to be.

Okay, here we have a Ferrari 430 Scud(missile)eria '07. The top speed is about 205mph @ redline, but we want more speed and/ or acceleration. Usually both, and that's what I'm going to explain.
IMG_0299.jpg

Step 1: adjust max speed slider up two clicks (217mph in my case)
*The gear ratios will change

Step 2: set 1st gear all the way left (this is known as a longer, or taller, gear - yes, little number big gear!)

Step 3: for each gear you will do this (six-speed only):

(max number - min number)/10 = x

For a 6-speed transmission, you must do the first equation for each gear, then multiply x by the following:
2nd: x*2
3rd: x*4
4th: x*6
5th: x*8

5-speed trans:
2nd: x*2.5
3rd: x*5
4th: x*7.5

- Add the result to your minimum gear setting, and you will be good to go
example for 2nd gear:
2.801 - 2.059 = 0.742
0.742/10 = 0.0742
0.0742*2 = 0.1484
0.1484 + 2.059 = 2.207
I rounded to 2.21

IMG_0301.jpg

Step 3: set 6th gear all the way right (this is known as a shorter gear, yes, higher number shorter gear)

Here's the result (notice, I use ratios that are actually possible, three decimal places would mean hundreds of tiny teeth IRL, and you would strip every single gear in the transmission without even trying!)
IMG_0303.jpg

Here's the result (notice, I use ratios that are actually possible, three decimal places would mean hundreds of tiny teeth IRL, and you would strip every single gear in the transmission without even trying!)
I'm just wondering how they are getting the ~1000 ratios that are prime...

Good info there thank you

I'm just wondering how they are getting the ~1000 ratios that are prime...

Good info there thank you

That's what I mean. The size of the teeth would have to be such, that they can provide the input:embarrassed:utput ratio, while still being strong enough to withstand allt eh force necessary.
How Gears Work
-Because gears multiply torque, every step from engine to final gear goes up in amount of power applied
-If you have an engine with a torque output of 100ft-lb going through 1st gear which is , let's say, 2.60, then the output is going to be 260ft-lb, then a final gear of 3.43 you've got 891.8 ft-lb
-NOW!! Don't think that your lowly car puts out that much power, that's just how the gear reduction is working in order to move the car!

i tried out this method, my lap times are "SLIGHTLY" better than the method i was using, but i can tell that the power range is more consistent...so i say that this method works, thanks for the info

Nice work. It's not always great for grid starts online, do you fancy adding another method to your OP?

It'll be pretty much the same after determining the ideal length of 1st/2nd gear for launch. I currently guess the points for an even spread from looking at the graph but a formula will be more accurate.

I tried this method in GT5 and it really didn't make that much of a difference and such in GT6. Yes it's an easy way to get your transmission in the power but your drive for about 500 rpm and 500 rpm is a lot on the track. I'll stick to my normal tuning of the transmission, tuning it to the track instead of the car. Much faster in the long run.

Alternate method to be used with @praiano63 GT5 Transmission Tuning Method:

(Max Number - Min Number) times 0.x = A

Min Number - A = gear setting

x will be the percent you want to set your gear to
Example: 75% would be 0.75, and 43% would be 0.43

Hopefully we will get a new top speed slider and a better car settings menu. Despite what anyone says the new tuning menu is more of a hassle than it is a help. Pressing 'O' should close a tab instead of exiting the car settings. And, every tuner knows about race day transmission tuning time issues.

-Because gears multiply torque, every step from engine to final gear goes up in amount of power applied
-If you have an engine with a torque output of 100ft-lb going through 1st gear which is , let's say, 2.60, then the output is going to be 260ft-lb, then a final gear of 3.43 you've got 891.8 ft-lb
-NOW!! Don't think that your lowly car puts out that much power, that's just how the gear reduction is working in order to move the car!

Torque(wheel) = gear ratio * final ratio * Torque(engine)
Power(wheels) = Power(engine)...

Demonstration is here :

gear-formulas.png

All credits goes to this excellent site (I yelled "Hooray AT LEAST" when I found it). http://craig.backfire.ca/pages/autos/horsepower

From my profile page; help for 7 and 8 speed cars

for 7-speed:
reference:
7-1=6
10/6=1.67
move decimal = .17

1st: min
2nd: (max-min) x .17
3rd: (max-min) x .34
4th: (max-min) x .51
5th: (max-min) x .68
6th: (max-min) x .85
7th: max

8-speed:

8-1=7
10/7=1.43
move decimal= .14

1st: min
2nd: (max-min) x .14
3rd: (max-min) x .28
4th: (max-min) x .42
5th: (max-min) x .56
6th: (max-min) x .7
7th: (max-min) x .84
8th: max

Now, for a standing start you will want to raise first, then test and raise 2nd gear to get decent shifts, and to keep decent acceleratio

Back