GT7 Beautiful but Lazy. Licenece tests mean nothing

England
England
One of the staples of the game was to unlock new races by acquiring licences ( I know GT5 took a disappointing short cut in this department too). Nothing for acquiring licences.

Maybe as you aquire licences you can race people who have contacts to classic car dealers. Thats not a hard thing to implement. Its just better than nothing.

This game is beautiful but so lazy (oxymoron?). Polyphony know the fan base said no in the majority to GT sport so they just lie to us and stick the number 7 on the end. This isn't gran Turismo.

One final whinge... not even an ending cinematic in the game. Lazy

Just discovered there is an ending cinematic if you wait through the credits long enough... thanks to guys in comments for letting me know :)

Last edited:
Licenses are there to teach you driving techniques. In the early GT games, you could unlock cars/tracks, but as the games progressed less people were interested in doing licenses as they've already done them in previous entries, so less focus was put on them. In GT7, you do have to do all but the S license to enter certain races as you progress along the Cafe Menus. However, if you did all of the licenses first, you may have missed that.

I don't think the fan base said "no in the majority to GT sport", more so that the game base said no to what GT Sport was, in it basically being just an online focused game at launch.

And yes, GT7 does have an ending cinematic. Instead of just a rolling credits presented over pictures of cars or the usual Tokyo roads, this time they gave you an epic race to do, a "talking heads" section about what Gran Turismo is about, and then the camera pans up and the actual credits roll. I'd say that is a more engaging ending than the usual.

Also, did you know that only 16% of people who have played GT Sport have seen the ending credits?

Last edited:
One of the staples of the game was to unlock new races by acquiring licences ( I know GT5 took a disappointing short cut in this department too). Nothing for acquiring licences.

But you do get things for completing the license tests. Not only do you get prize cars for getting all bronze and a different (better) car for all gold you also unlock some races/events by completing them. There are certain events that require you to have completed certain license tests first.

Also, I remember seeing an ending cinematic so not sure what the complaint is here either.

In GT7, you do have to do all but the S license to enter certain races as you progress along the Cafe Menus. However, if you did all of the licenses first, you may have missed that.
I believe you only need National-A licence at the current state of events. Both the International and the Superlicence aren't required for anything.

I have to agree with the OP as there is a general lack of events in the game (for example, Kyoto has three layouts (+ reversed) and only one event at the moment. PD promised more content but just added the big payout races at Sardegna, La Sarthe, Tokyo and Spa, addressing this and the game economics, and after that the extra menus, adding 3 Kei-car races, 3 VGT races and 3 950pp races.
This lack of top tier events is reflected in the lack of requirements to top licences.

The events requiring these licences just aren't there, period.
So, yes, lazy PD, can't sort out events and not even how to make possible to sell cars as advertised.

This game is beautiful but so lazy (oxymoron?).
Yes, that's been the topic of discussion since the release date.
Polyphony know the fan base said no in the majority to GT sport so they just lie to us and stick the number 7 on the end. This isn't gran Turismo.
I am going to, once again, state that this concept of GTSport being a failure is pure fiction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gran_...8, the game,an estimated eight million copies.

Articles from GTPlanet are cited as the source for the numbers on that page. Most game sell the bulk of their numbers in the first few weeks of release. GTSport sold respectable amounts in it's first six months, then went on to sell even more through 2018, and then continued to achieve the relatively unheard of task of continued high sales into 2019. Bargain priced, or not, that's a commendable achievement for a game that so may single player lovers say was a failure.
This game has been built to be profitable in the bargain bin. Still, yes, it's exceedingly "lazy" as you say since the cost of adding a single person to deal with SP events, or even more varied Sport Mode events, is minimal.

Case in point, there are enough cars in the game to avoid repeating any single car, in any of the three main sport mode races, for 2.5 years. Even if they do Gr 1-4 races somewhere in there, they could still do 3 unique races, every week, without a repeat, for the next 2 years, and that's not taking the tracks into consideration.

They can have no repeat, in any Sport Mode race, ever again, IF they wanted to. The numbers say so.

BUT....Gr3 and GR4 races, every friggin week.
tired drpaulbearer GIF

Yes, that's been the topic of discussion since the release date.

I am going to, once again, state that this concept of GTSport being a failure is pure fiction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gran_Turismo_Sport#:~:text=By May 2018, the game,an estimated eight million copies.

Articles from GTPlanet are cited as the source for the numbers on that page. Most game sell the bulk of their numbers in the first few weeks of release. GTSport sold respectable amounts in it's first six months, then went on to sell even more through 2018, and then continued to achieve the relatively unheard of task of continued high sales into 2019. Bargain priced, or not, that's a commendable achievement for a game that so may single player lovers say was a failure.

This game has been built to be profitable in the bargain bin. Still, yes, it's exceedingly "lazy" as you say since the cost of adding a single person to deal with SP events, or even more varied Sport Mode events, is minimal.

Case in point, there are enough cars in the game to avoid repeating any single car, in any of the three main sport mode races, for 2.5 years. Even if they do Gr 1-4 races somewhere in there, they could still do 3 unique races, every week, without a repeat, for the next 2 years, and that's not taking the tracks into consideration.

They can have no repeat, in any Sport Mode race, ever again, IF they wanted to. The numbers say so.

BUT....Gr3 and GR4 races, every friggin week.
tired drpaulbearer GIF
Irony that GT Sport has more single player content than GT7.

I appear to have made a few errors in my original post.

1) you do use national B and national A licence but thats it unless I missed something

2) I was totally wrong about the ending cinematic. My mind is blown right now on discovering this

3) It would appear GT sport did sell quite well over its lifetime. Am I right that it didn't start out that well compared to other GT games?

Thanks. I didn't mean to mis lead

Last edited:
Irony that GT Sport has more single player content than GT7.
I know, right? The time trial alone is more interesting, albeit taking 2 weeks to get paid.
I appear to have made a few errors in my original post.

1) you do use national B and national A licence but thats it unless I missed something
Well, achieving gold is the challenge, and it's always been an addictive element for many.
2) I was totally wrong about the ending cinematic. My mind is blown right now on discovering this

3) It would appear GT sport did sell quite well over its lifetime. Am I right that it didn't start out that well compared to other GT games?
It's different and a lesson in shelf life.

Most games, past GT title included, usually sell 80-90% of their total in the first few weeks. The last figure I saw for GTSport is 9.5 million users. They say 8 million sales as of December 2019, but it didn't drop to 0 from 2020 onward, so it's fair to estimate that it's closer to 9 million total sales (or more).

Back