GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 34,711 comments
I've been saying, since 2017, that they need per-track BOP at a minimum. Per-race - including tyre wear and fuel consumption - would be ideal, and with Sophy now available to run thousands of these races in the blink of an eye that surely can't be that hard.
Now that actually would be a good!

use the AMG and M6, I feel way less confident in turns and lose even more time
Both of those cars I use counter-steer at strong unless I am running racing soft tires. If you have tuning options I'd also recommend watching
to learn how to set up the LSD for your preference. Don't just do 5/60/5 cause some YouTuber does it... You need to adjust for your style.
HUD suggests downshifting to 2nd gear, I've shaved a lot of time off by keeping it in 3rd
In most cases using one gear higher than the HUD suggestion is preferable. if it suggests 2nd, then for some cars that may work just for an instance to assist in turn in, ut then shift straight back to 3rd to accelerate out. In most case, say the corner suggests 2nd, you will often decelerate in a a straight line shifting down to 3rd. Then as you begin to trail brake through the corner, you main momentarily shift to 2nd to help with the turn in before the apex, and then shift back up to third just before you hit the apex, so you can then accelerate through and out of the apex and turn. Of course that is a generalization and it does not account for all scenarios but that is generally my approach.

Last edited:
This is my first post here (Hello 👋) and I'm sorry if it has been discussed but is it intented, that the Mazda3 in Gr4 is so fast? I'm pretty new to GT7 and not a good driver (I play with controller and jump between C & B driver rating) but with every car I tried in Gr4 I'm at least .5s slower on the Red Bull Ring then with the Mazda3. With some cars even 1s or more (no tuning because I can't tune 🙈)

Last week on Spa I was really close with a couple of cars but this week the Mazda seems impossible to beat. or at least with my driving skill.
Welcome to the party!😁

First and foremost, you are probably surrounded by more controller players than you realize. Only mention because I used to consider myself 'lesser' for it but that's not the case at all. The other cool part is, there's a nice cross-section of D - A+ drivers here which makes this a great place to pick-up driving/track tips.

As to the Mazda, yeah, it feels a bit lop-sided. Been a problem since the release and we're all hoping that it get's re-balanced sooner than later. To Famine's point, though, it's not OP everywhere. I was doing just fine in the Veyron last week at Deep Forest because it's a twisty course and the FF layout can become a detriment. I was passed by a couple, sure, but it wasn't a Mazda sweep of the top-ten spots every race.

Still, when you can't keep-up in the slip, something seems askew. Maybe that's to make-up for the time lost in corners when they're mapping out the BoP overall, but it feels off. I am hoping what's really driving this was the announcement of the Japan-only 'Racing Bird' editions of the Mazda3 and Miata. With any luck, this was the by-product of a marketing wink/nod between Mazda and PD for a set period of time.😁

:cheers:

n both of those cars I use counter-steer at strong unless I am running racing soft tires. If you have tuning options I'd also recommend watching
to learn how to set up the LSD for your preference. Don't just do 5/60/5 cause some YouTuber does it... You need to adjust for your style.

Thanks man, I was also totally unrelated wondering what exactly a LSD did this week and this gives me some learning material. I also have avoided using any assists other than ABS and TCS 1-3 (depending on weather) so I didn't consider the countersteer assist setting.

Welcome to the party!😁

First and foremost, you are probably surrounded by more controller players than you realize. Only mention because I used to consider myself 'lesser' for it but that's not the case at all. The other cool part is, there's a nice cross-section of D - A+ drivers here which makes this a great place to pick-up driving/track tips.

As to the Mazda, yeah, it feels a bit lop-sided. Been a problem since the release and we're all hoping that it get's re-balanced sooner than later. To Famine's point, though, it's not OP everywhere. I was doing just fine in the Veyron last week at Deep Forest because it's a twisty course and the FF layout can become a detriment. I was passed by a couple, sure, but it wasn't a Mazda sweep of the top-ten spots every race.

Still, when you can't keep-up in the slip, something seems askew. Maybe that's to make-up for the time lost in corners when they're mapping out the BoP overall, but it feels off. I am hoping what's really driving this was the announcement of the Japan-only 'Racing Bird' editions of the Mazda3 and Miata. With any luck, this was the by-product of a marketing wink/nod between Mazda and PD for a set period of time.😁

:cheers:
I only started to play in December and so far it was a nice mix of cars in the daily races in which I took part. That's why I seems so off with this week. I love that I can be competitive with different cars but the Mazda is not for me. I absolutly don't like FWD cars but kinda feel forced to use one if I want to have a chance. Maybe I should just drive what is the most fun for me and don't think about Driver rating. Ans maybe catch some of those Mazdas 😁

Last edited:
I think the one make Mazda RX-7 is a great combo for the A races, it's pleasant and smooth to drive and it doesn't really slide that much. Race 1 I finished in P10, race 2 I came in 5th place and the third I finished in 9th place, so overall I didn't do too bad last night.

I only started to play in December and so far it was a nice mix of cars in the daily races in which I took part. That's why I seems so off with this week. I love that I can be competitive with different cars but the Mazda is not for me. I absolutly don't like FWD cars but kinda feel forced to use one if I want to have a chance. Maybe I should just drive what is the most fun for me and don't think about Driver rating. Ans maybe catch some of those Mazdas 😁
Hey, welcome to the GT7 club, I'm Chris if you want to know my name.

Maybe I should just drive what is the most fun for me and don't think about Driver rating.
Some here have multiple accounts for that. They have a main account that they take DR seriously on and an alt account where they don't care for rating and drive for fun. Now obviously it is more to manage

I only own one account, I don't see any reason to make a another one because it would be another password I'd have to remember. Now the worst case scenario is if I get really bored and want to race for fun then I will make another PSN account. The best thing you can do is be yourself. That's what I did during my 12 years of schooling. I did everything to the best of my ability.

@Chris30 I have an idea for you to get a better lap time at race B.
I was doing some laps this morning, and when I was thinking about this qualifying replay that you shared, I realized you were just slowing down way more than is necessary.

It made me think about my own skill progression. I used to be really lousy with Gr.3 cars.
Something that helped me improve with them a lot, was rolling the corners (coasting).
What I see in your video, is that you are mostly braking until it's time to start accelerating again.
That is something that costs you a lot of time.

If you release the brakes sooner, and let the car just coast for a bit, not only will you be slowing down less, but when the car is coasting, it's turning much better. As a result, you can begin accelerating sooner, because the car will be pointing towards the corner exit at an earlier point.

I'll share a replay from one of my laps this morning. As you'll notice, there's a lot of time when I'm not on the gas or the brakes. Less is more.

It's something that doesn't get talked about a lot, but I think it's not a well-used practice in the lower ranks.
Remember, it works best if you release the brakes earlier than you're used to.
I hope the point I'm trying to make came across clearly. It makes perfect sense in my head, but I may not have explained perfectly.

Last edited:
If you release the brakes sooner, and let the car just coast for a bit, not only will you be slowing down less, but when the car is coasting, it's turning much better. As a result, you can begin accelerating sooner, because the car will be pointing towards the corner exit at an earlier point.
This!! Is so important. Young drivers, bookmark this advice. I recall, a long time ago in my early progression when I realized I was holding onto the brakes too long. It really accelerated (pun intended!) my improvements going forward.

Don't think 2 accounts would be something for me. I mean I'm not good so the drop and climb in driver rating is expected I believe. Also wouldn't you need 2 x PS Plus? I barely want to pay for 1 account (Only got PS plus for GT7) 😅

I've been saying, since 2017, that they need per-track BOP at a minimum. Per-race - including tyre wear and fuel consumption - would be ideal, and with Sophy now available to run thousands of these races in the blink of an eye that surely can't be that hard.
I literally thought this is what BoP was for and why it has L M H speed settings.

I thought the cars were ballasted and power balanced at each track so that they could roughly achieve the same race pace (not out right lap time)

You lean something new every day :(

It is a longtime habit I've been doing, I'll brake for a long period which affects my coasting of the corners. I may be losing a half a second everytime I do this. See I started back playing GTS in Summer 2021, and everyday I did time trials on every track to brush up on my skills, it does take time, it's not like a sprint, it's a marathon. I do know the more time I spend racing on a certain track I'm bad at, I gradually get better. It's hard for me setting goals with my autism, I have to analyze each turn, hairpin, and corner to figure out the best driving line.

I have almost 20 pole times so I'm getting somewhere! I wonder of players using a wheel or pad get more advantages of getting lower lap times than others using a controller. The braking during tight turns and corners are still an issue/weakness for me because I'm worried if I just let up on the gas I'll run into the wall.

LM is an example of a track that I need to study and work on. It's got twisty turns and it's complex in a way, so beginners will have trouble here.

Last edited:
@Chris30 LM is about flow, there are some technical corners but over all it's about carrying as much speed as you can. Braking deep and accelerating hard makes a really lumpy timing chart there. Coasting lets you carry speed and balance the car meaning smoother braking and acceleration and a lap time that will reflect that.

Well okay, I am sort of a risktaker myself, I guess that's the only way to have more room when turning through a corner. I know RBR has more places for penalties than LM and Sardegna. I agree I do spend too much time braking when I should flow and maybe lightly brake, let up on the gas and hit the throttle as quickly as possible. I'll see what I can do.

The biggest thing I see in races is people not braking early enough.

The earlier and more progressively you brake the more options you have.

1 keep braking
2 ease off the brakes adjust your line
3 coast and take a very clean exit
4 it gives you more time for decision making which is important for online racing...decision making time

I get decision paralysis going into corners because every time I try to drive a line that preserves the smallest amount of momentum, someone dive bombs me off-line on the inside so I cheat to the inside and lose momentum on exit. Or I try to run around the outside and get shoved off into the beach because they drive a full racing line instead of a two-wide line. Lose/Lose/Lose it feels.

I got absolutely abused on the high speed elbow at the end of suzuka last week in every imaginable configuration and decision.

Last edited:
I get decision paralysis going into corners because every time I try to drive a line that preserves the smallest amount of momentum, someone dive bombs me off-line on the inside so I cheat to the inside and lose momentum on exit. Or I try to run around the outside and get shoved off into the beach because they drive a full racing line instead of a two-wide line. Lose/Lose/Lose it feels.

I got absolutely abused on the high speed elbow at the end of suzuka last week in every imaginable configuration and decision.
I'll post a video in a sec I won't have time to edit it but it's doing the switcheroo 3 times on a dive bomber. I finish 5th at the end and eventually he makes a cleaner ish pass but there are techniques in those situations and they mostly revolve around taking the fast line (not the racing line) you go wide and slow to take a better exit and apex speed

I HATE PD for forcing me to resort to this Mazda POS car to have a chance this week! I despise that a manufacturer can just pay to have a car of theirs go straight to the top of the performance charts! Real life simulator my ass!

Also, shame on you @newmedia_dev (just like me) to use the meta this week! 🤣 Feckin AMAZING HOT lap time though!! Honestly dude - wow! In the words of Dom Toretto - you smoked me! 😂

1708546048130.jpeg

Last edited:
I HATE PD for forcing me to resort to this Mazda POS car
Mine seems alright. Have you changed the oil and washed it?

Edit: in spillners voice last week "dude, I almost had you!"

"look techno, you were never in the race, you never had your car"

"What do you want spilner?"

"Respect dom/techno, respect. Dude I almost had you"

Edit 2:

I can understand why people have issues with the Mazda both the one make race aspect and the driving aspect.

For the 1 make part I'm ok, I wish it was Clio's or E30 m3's etc but one make races are fine, it's literally 90% of support races in motorsport.

Where the drivability comes is a bit tricky because it polarises people.

The Mazda is exceptionally quick but the way you drive it will make it exceptionally slow. The less time it's hunting for revs (that is wheel slip) it means it's going slower.

The more it understeers means you are trying to brake aggressively and turn. At the same time. Almost no cars are designed to do that. Then you have the power understeer which is a topic for another day but ultimately if you are understeering you are braking to late or not turning in hard enough.

Brake, turn in, exit. Ignore trail braking it's a technique but it's not useful on every corner. It's just a way to coast with a bit more control.

Choosing acceleration points is more important than braking later.

Last edited:
I'll post a video in a sec I won't have time to edit it but it's doing the switcheroo 3 times on a dive bomber. I finish 5th at the end and eventually he makes a cleaner ish pass but there are techniques in those situations and they mostly revolve around taking the fast line (not the racing line) you go wide and slow to take a better exit and apex speed
Thats one of the two things I've found usually works more often than not:

• Taking the wide line slow entrance, slow to turn in, fast exit (lets them fly by you on the inside and miss their apex)
  • Hugging the inside to force them wide the whole time (playing it safe, but losing speed on the exit)

I had a pretty good switcheroo on the hairpin at suzuka last week but was two wide until spoon and he had the faster run on the outside. I'll take a move that doesn't stick over a punt any day though:

cut before the elbow because the BMW running behind me clipped my left rear quarter trying to pass both me and the mazda on the inside and spun me and i didn't feel like seeing that again

Last edited:
Getting more into a help @Chris30 session..
@Chris30 I have an idea for you to get a better lap time at race B.
I was doing some laps this morning, and when I was thinking about this qualifying replay that you shared, I realized you were just slowing down way more than is necessary.

It made me think about my own skill progression. I used to be really lousy with Gr.3 cars.
Something that helped me improve with them a lot, was rolling the corners (coasting).
What I see in your video, is that you are mostly braking until it's time to start accelerating again.
That is something that costs you a lot of time.

I'll share a replay from one of my laps this morning. As you'll notice, there's a lot of time when I'm not on the gas or the brakes. Less is more.

It's something that doesn't get talked about a lot, but I think it's not a well-used practice in the lower ranks.
Remember, it works best if you release the brakes earlier than you're used to.
I hope the point I'm trying to make came across clearly. It makes perfect sense in my head, but I may not have explained perfectly.

Looking at the replay, I realized as well that the accelerator is very on and off. @Chris30 are you on controller using X for accelerate? I see basically the gas going max and then traction control cutting in a lot. This will lose a lot of time. It also does not make you smooth which is related to Sturk's comment about getting off the brakes. It is about trying to find smoothness and flow.

I forgot to record my best lap but this is one that is a 1:57.1 something. I may not coast as much as Sturk suggests, but you'll notice that I am constantly feathering the gas to control power delivery through and out of corners. You'll notice that TCS cuts in a lot less. I am on TCS1.

But LM is also a track that is very forgiving, in terms of track limits.
Take some risks there. You will not get punished nearly as much as you would at one of the real tracks.
Particularly after the hairpin in the esses, you can can use a lot of the red/white curbing. You gain a lot of time there.

Last edited:
And so my first stint at DR B is over. 😭 to be fair I’m not really at that level yet. After saying I was going to give racing at Maggiore a miss following some frustrating shunts, I couldn’t resist and got lured back in, big mistake. 3 races, got punted every time. Once into the sand at T11 (the hairpin after the esses), once at turn 2 on lap one, and once into the red zone at turn 14, where I was additionally penalised for going off track. 🙄
Does anyone know any good clean leagues that race on weekends in the afternoons UK time?

Last edited:
And so my first stint at DR B is over. 😭 to be fair I’m not really at that level yet
Low DR B can be a bit rough as there is a lot of desperation for newbie Bs trying to avoid relegation back to C. Mid B is kind of a sweet spot. Lots of quality driving there. As you get near the top of B desperation can set in again as drivers push to try to make A.

Keep with it. I enjoyed my time in B. The driving can be a bit varied as there are still plenty of newer drivers learning the race craft and those that have experience but don't care about being selective and fast enough for A and potter along, but overall I think most mean well. The key to surviving racing at higher classes is learning how to read situations. In B you can't assume everyone knows the same braking, turn-in and acceleration points as is often with the A/A+ crowd. You need a degree of adaptability. Brake earlier if entering corners in a line of cars, or move to the side to create overlap. Keep an eye on radar and mirror to try to anticipate what the car behind you may do (I still fall victim to this from time to time by not paying attention behind). Eventually you'll get better an get into the mid Bs and you'll be happier.

Last edited:
Thats one of the two things I've found usually works more often than not:

• Taking the wide line slow entrance, slow to turn in, fast exit (lets them fly by you on the inside and miss their apex)
  • Hugging the inside to force them wide the whole time (playing it safe, but losing speed on the exit)

I had a pretty good switcheroo on the hairpin at suzuka last week but was two wide until spoon and he had the faster run on the outside. I'll take a move that doesn't stick over a punt any day though:

cut before the elbow because the BMW running behind me clipped my left rear quarter trying to pass both me and the mazda on the inside and spun me and i didn't feel like seeing that again

Don't force any car anywhere.

Make your decision, and hold you're line if that's the inside on keep it tight, if it's the wide life own it.

Don't drift in the breaking zones just brake for you and in a straight line.

If a car is in the radar it's close, take the faster exit line.

And just remember people are people they are thirsty or pushing and both are are ok. We don't like them in the moment but we can always walk away (I do this as I smoke) or just click the button for the best race.

Low DR B can be a it rough as there is a lot of desperation for newbie Bs trying to avoid relegation back to C. Mid B is kind os sweet spot. Lots of quality driving there. As you get near the top of B desperation can set in again as drivers push to try to make A.

Keep with it. I enjoyed my time in B. The driving can be a bit varied as there are still plenty of newer drivers learning the race craft and those that have experience but don't care about being selective and fast enough for A and potter along, but overall I think most mean well. The key to surviving racing at high classes is learning how to read situations. A B you can't assume everyone knows the same braking, turn-in and acceleration points as is often with the A/A+ crowd. You need a degree of adaptability. Brake earlier if entering corners in a line of cars, or move to the side to create overlap. Keep an eye on radar and mirror to try to anticipate what the car behind you may do (I still fall victim to this from time to time by not paying attention behind). Eventually you'll get better a get into the mid Bs and you'll be happier.
Thanks for the encouragement. I was actually doing ok in the races, gaining a few places here and there before a punt. It just seems the combination of turns really brings out the worst in people in certain parts of the track.

Back