GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 29,712 comments
I don't want to sound arrogant... However, I do consider myself to be an intelligent person. That being said, I would be absolutely thrilled if someone was to enlighten me on the following scenario:

In what world, even universe, does one start in P15 (no qualy time set) and finish the race in P10, with genuine overtakes, no contact whatsoever or penalties and yet, LOSE points in DR?!?!?!

View attachment 1338378 View attachment 1338379

Would love to know if I am losing my mind or the world has actually gone crazy?! Thanks and love! Regards, me!
Your starting position and how many people you pass matter naught in the DR calculation. The only thing that matters is where you finish retaliative to the your DR vs the DR of people who finish ahead and behind.

Famine summed it up nicely (yes, I saved this quote):

"DR is solely determined by your race finishing positions: a straightforward exchange of points between you, the people you beat, and people who beat you, scaled according to the relative difference in points between you. "

The whole thing where someone was trying to argue with him regarding starting position vs finishing position:

But you do. The further ahead they are of you in terms of raw DR points, the less you lose, but you do lose points to them unless the difference is
enormous.

For every car you finish in front of you gain: 80 - ((Player DR - Rival DR))/500)DR

For every car you finish behind, you lose: 80 + ((Player DR - Rival DR))/500)DR

As you can see, unless the difference is in excess of 39,500pt, you'll lose at least one point.

In a race where everyone has identical DR, this is the change in points after the race:
1: +1200
2: +1040
3: +880
4: +720
5: +560
6: +400
7: +240
8: +80
9: -80
10: -240
11: -400
12: -560
13: -720
14: -880
15: -1040
16: -1200

Start 16th, gain one place, lose 1040 DR. You do not gain it, you lose it because fourteen other people took points off you and you gained them from one person.

The only time you won't lose DR is if you have no DR to lose, because your DR ranking is D and your rating is one point - and in your first five races at DR E - although people will still gain the appropriate number of points for finishing ahead of you. Otherwise it goes up and down exactly like I say.

This is literally how it works. It has been known and well established for more than five years. Where. You. Start. Does. Not. Matter.

Last edited:
I don't want to sound arrogant... However, I do consider myself to be an intelligent person. That being said, I would be absolutely thrilled if someone was to enlighten me on the following scenario:

In what world, even universe, does one start in P15 (no qualy time set) and finish the race in P10, with genuine overtakes, no contact whatsoever or penalties and yet, LOSE points in DR?!?!?!

Would love to know if I am losing my mind or the world has actually gone crazy?! Thanks and love! Regards, me!
Top 8 gets points from the bottom 8. Nothing else matters.

Well, 9 people finished ahead of you and only 6 behind you.

So you lost DR to 9 people, and gained DR from 6 people. Net loss. Only finishing position matters.

Your starting position and how many people you pass matter naught in the DR calculation. The only thing that matters is where you finish retaliative to the your DR vs the DR of people who finish ahead and behind.

"DR is solely determined by your race finishing positions: a straightforward exchange of points between you, the people you beat, and people who beat you, scaled according to the relative difference in points between you. "

The whole thing where someone was trying to argue with him regarding starting position vs finishing position:

But you do. The further ahead they are of you in terms of raw DR points, the less you lose, but you do lose points to them unless the difference is
enormous.

For every car you finish in front of you gain: 80 - ((Player DR - Rival DR))/500)DR

As you can see, unless the difference is in excess of 39,500pt, you'll lose at least one point.

In a race where everyone has identical DR, this is the change in points after the race:

Start 16th, gain one place, lose 1040 DR. You do not gain it, you lose it because fourteen other people took points off you and you gained them from one person.

The only time you won't lose DR is if you have no DR to lose, because your DR ranking is D and your rating is one point - and in your first five races at DR E - although people will still gain the appropriate number of points for finishing ahead of you. Otherwise it goes up and down exactly like I say.

This is literally how it works. It has been known and well established for more than five years. Where. You. Start. Does. Not. Matter.
But Famine’s explanation is incomplete if he’s saying it’s the sole criteria. I was in mixed A and B lobbies at Laguna and gained DR while some of the A drivers who finished ahead of me lost it (presumably b/c the game deemed that I had done better relative to my ranking than the A driver).

Last edited:
But Famine’s explanation is incomplete if he’s saying it’s the sole criteria.
Aside from the fact I don't give a sole criterion - as you'll note from the post you quoted @Talon16 quoting, what do you believe is missing?

You lose DR to everyone who beats you. You gain it from everyone you beat. How much you gain/lose depends on the difference in starting DR between you. That's it.

But Famine’s explanation is incomplete if he’s saying it’s the sole criteria. I was in mixed A and B lobbies at Laguna and gained DR while some of the A drivers who finished ahead of me lost it (presumably b/c the game deemed that I had done better relative to my ranking than the A driver).
Trust me - if @Famine says it, you can take it to the bank. I spent way too much time banging my head against the brick wall of knowledge that is @Famine. :banghead: :bowdown:

Trust me - if @Famine says it, you can take it to the bank. I spent way too much time banging my head against the brick wall of knowledge that is @Famine. :banghead: :bowdown:
Just reporting how I’ve seen DR move in lobbies I’ve been in, and it hasn’t solely been based on finishing position.

Not sure why he’d know how DR is calculated given that PD is far from transparent about it.

Edit - just realized I posted twice on the same subject within minutes! Unfortunately I have no idea how to merge my posts. Apologies to the mods for this transgression.

Last edited:
Aside from the fact I don't give a sole criterion - as you'll note from the post you quoted @Talon16 quoting, what do you believe is missing?

You lose DR to everyone who beats you. You gain it from everyone you beat. How much you gain/lose depends on the difference in starting DR between you. That's

Last edited:

enormous.

And what about the difference between race length for Daily B and C? Does it matter, or should one just do Daily B since you will finish more races in the same amount of time to grind DR?

Hadn't played any GT since the tomahawk glitch, been enjoying life on career mode in the F1 games, my true love (and that game has better tracks). Got a cinco, felt nostalgic and reinstalled. Did some laps around Brazil in a NSX and forgot how fun it was to throw regular cars around tracks. Okay, let's see what the daily races are, I enjoyed those...oh, Monza Gr. 3? Cool! Picked my favorite gr.3, the McLaren, and Quali'd 2nd in my first lobby, not bad... got spun in a lap 2 incident, okay, whatever, focus on nailing corners and climbed back up to 4th. Pretty fun, let's go again and this time avoid any major mistakes....

Then I quickly was reminded how much I hate racing online in this game, I can't trust that when side by side with someone, they won't spin or punt me when I pass or out-brake them, and the penalty system is such a bad joke. Bad taste in my mouth right now, very salty, seethe/cope/mald etc

Last edited:
Back