GT7 is am incredible platform that's underutilized

sems4arsenal

Nissan Sunny FTW
Premium
Egypt
Cairo, Egypt
GTP_SEMS
Right - so after the latest update - I played the Music Rallys for a bit and had an absolute blast. I came into the realization at just how good a platform GT7 is and how the lack of interesting single player events is a crime.

PD need to add creative missions; multi class stuff, longer endurance, PS5 specific bigger grid events, Rally cross, just have fun with it. I know custom races are there but the payout is not worth the hassle to set up.

Give us race weekend events with Quali and longer races. Hopefully a current gen only GT8 with Sophy expands that.

I feel like this too. Maybe a Spec-II PS5 only should do the trick (similar to Horizon FW DLC). Updating regular version could means a mandatory update to PS4 versions too.

It's the AI. The opponent AI is the fulcrum that all the rest of the single-player improvement hinges on.

If the AI is better, then that fixes the catch-the-rabbit problem, because you can have the opponents be challenging on an equal footing rather than the challenge only being "can you catch them in time". And if you fix catch-the-rabbit, that makes even the existing events a while lot more interesting (although more varied events is obviously still very welcome!)

It's unfortunate that GT7 doesn't meet its potential, but it seems "wasted potential" is the motto of the gaming industry these days.

Either that, or they only meet their potential 5-10 years after launch.

Last edited:
I didn’t do the music rally but I know exactly what you mean the fundamentals of the gameplay is excellent especially with VR and I imagine it will get better since I just bought a wheel and most of a rig that I haven’t had time to setup just yet.

...I wonder how much the PS4's weak Jaguar CPU is holding things back in terms of AI and stuff? That PD had to develop for two platforms instead of being so used to working with one?
GT Sport had quite a bit of CPU overhead, relatively speaking - and the AI can be fast, as evidenced by the Lago Maggiore Human Comedy mission, they just choose not to use it, or have it as an option.

7’s AI is by far the best in the series (not a high bar, but still), it can make moves to sneak up the inside or hang it round the outside, and it has more awareness than other GT games, but on the normal Hard settings, it’ll back out too much before it can go for a lunge, or it’ll concede if you run them wide.

Other 8th gen games have really good AI, like the F1 series, Driveclub, too. PD just needs to keep chipping away at the AI’s fastest preset, which is not bad. I know it’s one person who programs it, so progress might be a bit slower, but that’s fine, they have a decent top-end AI, they just need to let us use it, and keep improving it.

Yeah, we all know. :P It's getting PD to actually act on that potential which is the eternal struggle. For every thing they've nailed there's multiple other things stabbing that one thing in the back. We all hope for new events for the cars that are currently useless but let's be real, the events they add are lame because the AI is still garbage. It seems to be quite complex by design to create a rubbish experience, they're a complete enigma of [REDACTED] and navigating them is somehow both too easy and frustrating because they're going 60% of your pace and don't know if they want to defend their position or give it to you at any given moment. This is probably the one thing more than anything holding the whole game back.

Hm, well, since this year's GTWS schedule is a little unusual (I'd have expected two full seasons of each cup. Weird that it's only seven rounds on each cup this time) with nothing in-between the Showdown and the Finals... what do you suppose that PD has something up their sleeves for this Fall?

I hope they have something, but at the same time, I'm ready to be disappointed if they have nothing.

Hm, well, since this year's GTWS schedule is a little unusual (I'd have expected two full seasons of each cup. Weird that it's only seven rounds on each cup this time) with nothing in-between the Showdown and the Finals... what do you suppose that PD has something up their sleeves for this Fall?

I hope they have something, but at the same time, I'm ready to be disappointed if they have nothing.

It depends if a PS5 GT7 only version is more financially beneficial compared to a GT8. I think focus of some of the team needs to be on GT8 now. A PS5 only platform focusing on Sophy, more cars and removing the shackles of last gen.

I’m really hoping that GT8 will be released on this generation of console and will be VR compatible from the get go. I keep getting the impression that GT7 is basically finished in terms of single player content and we aren’t getting much more than the additional cars and tracks that can be added to GT8 as well. Prior to GT7 I only played GT3 and GT4 and I still remember the huge number of delays that occurred before GT4 finally came out and how long that wait was. I was hoping PD changed for the better during my hiatus but it seems like they have actually gotten worse which is unfortunate.

It depends if a PS5 GT7 only version is more financially beneficial compared to a GT8. I think focus of some of the team needs to be on GT8 now. A PS5 only platform focusing on Sophy, more cars and removing the shackles of last gen.
Hm, feels like GT8 is at least two years away, though. Unless they want to release it next year which will be unheard of in this day and age.

Better to just do GT7 Spec II/2.0 PS5-only this Fall with an overhauled campaign mode, IMO, to tide us until then.

If the "PS5 Pro in 2024" rumours from Tom Henderson do end up being real, I could see a Spec 2/PS5 upgrade happening if Sony wants a quick system seller.

Hopefully a current gen only GT8 with Sophy expands that.
I've heard that before: "X console" was so limited. We/They will figure things out for the "Next Gen Console" game. It was the excuse for GT5 and GT6 and it is the excuse now for GT7.

I really think they don't want to make a good and complete racing game anymore.

Last edited:
Back