GT7: RPG Elements & City Driving

• Thread starter WhiteShadw
  • 25 comments
White-Shadw
This is my opinion on how I feel the game can evolve and add a serious amount of fun and re-playability which can be very interesting for either casuals or hardcore simulator racers:

General Topics:
1. Create a city - Just one. Possibly expand in the future to another city.
2. Give players actual living spaces in that city, apartments first, houses after, mansions if you're uber rich.
3. Players store their cars in warehouses, which also costs money per month, apartments can hold 2 cars, houses 3-5, mansions up to 10.
4. Modification shops, racing circuits, airports, paint work shops, dealerships etc.
5. License Youtube or another music service and hold car events/parties and play actual music chosen by the event holder.

Elaborated below:

I think it would be insanely cool now if PP add in a open world functional city where we live, think Test Drive Unlimited, players buy apartments (with one apartment holding thousands of players (server can limit up to 64 - 128 people at one time), while we cannot walk around in the apartments, we should be allowed to walk around outside. The city can be small, not huge like Forza Horizon, but spacious enough to keep it interesting. I know myself and a lot of people would like to chill together and show off rides after serious racing. Tuner shops should be spread out with each shop specializing in street, sport, race specializations, paint shops, wheel shops etc. We should be able to drive around or park our cars, get out of them and observe other peoples rides etc.

Now a problem a lot of people usually have is having too much to choose from, make it difficult, induce rental fees for cars, storage capacities for apartments/homes and if you do have a lot of cars, warehouses where they are stored away. I think this would be very interesting as you would be forced to give time and dedication to all cars you buy. Also have dealerships for each brand spread across the city, which you can visit and buy new cars from, or have second hand dealerships which have circulating stock each week, cars that are damaged or high mileage etc, have those effects pronounced.

Also allow users other ways to earn credits by allowing them to book parties or events and have tickets to have other players attend, populate the parties with NPC's so they are full of life, have those NPC's dance and hold race events allowing players to earn credits. The party/event cost should be pretty high (something like 200,000 - 500,000 credits) so not anyone can abuse it, ticket prices can range from 5,000 - 20,000 per entry, while events pay out up to 50,000 if you do participate, or have a car ride show off place where people can vote for the best looking ride.

Allow users to play music from Youtube directly to keep it refreshing! PP can charge advertising money from them!

Also populate the streets with NPC cars!

------------------------------

Feel free to add!

Also don't screw around with arcade physics in the city, keep it as real as possible.

Last edited:
Thinking that GT7's menu is back to the city, alter the menu with your city designs?

Modification shops, racing circuits, airports, paint work shops, dealerships etc. are contained in the GT Mode menus too.

PD can create maybe four brand new tracks that look rich and lively over the lifecycle of a game, they cannot afford to waste effort creating an entire city without outsourcing.

I hope they never entertain the idea

That sounds like a whole 'nother game, a massive amount of work. They need to prioritise improving what they already have before they start looking at huge expansive ideas like this.

On a general note, it also doesn't sound like a very PD idea at all. Well, the buying apartments, mansions, airports part anyway.

Too many complicated systems nobody actually wants. Lets make Gran Turismo Test Drive Unlimited but worse is what I get from all of this, especially the backwards warehouse system. Literally nobody liked the stockyard and limited garage space from GT6 and you want to make it more complicated than that somehow.

Last edited:
This is my opinion on how I feel the game can evolve and add a serious amount of fun and re-playability which can be very interesting for either casuals or hardcore simulator racers:

General Topics:
1. Create a city - Just one. Possibly expand in the future to another city.
2. Give players actual living spaces in that city, apartments first, houses after, mansions if you're uber rich.
3. Players store their cars in warehouses, which also costs money per month, apartments can hold 2 cars, houses 3-5, mansions up to 10.
4. Modification shops, racing circuits, airports, paint work shops, dealerships etc.
5. License Youtube or another music service and hold car events/parties and play actual music chosen by the event holder.

Allow users to play music from Youtube directly to keep it refreshing! PP can charge advertising money from them!

Also populate the streets with NPC cars!

------------------------------

Feel free to add!

Also don't screw around with arcade physics in the city, keep it as real as possible.

All this you described sounds awfully familiar to Grand Theft Auto, minus the guns and violence, why would I want Gran Turismo to be like that, when i can play an equally good Rockstar game?

Or..... you could just play Test drive unlimited or Forza Horizon 4?

Seriously what is the point in this??

I cannot believe it some fans suggest the devlopers wasting their time on useless features especially rpg elements that do not belong in a racing game.
Hold on. The OP addresses your first question with the first sentence. His opinion.

Alright now, I've always said GT(plus all other racing games) is like playing with Hot Wheels and Slot cars. There are no elements or RPG in those die cast toys(unless someone buys the Hot Wheels City stuff and make next to scale models of surrounds for the slot tracks).
Anyway, video games have evolved. Once games began to show the driver moving around in the cars, the avatar became a bit of a focus to place players in the driver seat. That's what it s ems like with Gran Turismo.

Focusing on GT than other titles from other developers, PD have seen fit that GT players can immerse themselves with avatars. We can dress them up, place them in Scapes, buy poses. That hasn't been a waste of development resources. Players use these avatars. Just check Scapes in the Discovery section.

Why shoot down the OP? I'm sure many GT players want better everything else to do with actual racing. Some players race to escape the real world and real world driving. Some players actually role play in GT.

I'm sure anyone can add something negative as to why PD shouldn't spend resources on this aspect of the game. Okay, so what if all other things were addressed?: Competitive AI, trees looked real, all type of weather, physics perfect, economy spot on, game replayability high, penalty algorithm sorted. It's all done right in fantasy land. Can the OP live and we have a discussion about the possibility?

Last edited:
Hold on. The OP addresses your first question with the first sentence. His opinion.

Alright now, I've always said GT(plus all other racing games) is like playing with Hot Wheels and Slot cars. There are no elements or RPG in those die cast toys(unless someone buys the Hot Wheels City stuff and make next to scale models of surrounds for the slot tracks).
Anyway, video games have evolved. Once games began to show the driver moving around in the cars, the avatar became a bit of a focus to place players in the driver seat. That's what it s ems like with Gran Turismo.

Focusing on GT than other titles from other developers, PD have seen fit that GT players can immerse themselves with avatars. We can dress them up, place them in Scapes, buy poses. That hasn't been a waste of development resources. Players use these avatars. Just check Scapes in the Discovery section.

Why shoot down the OP? I'm sure many GT players want better everything else to do with actual racing. Some players race to escape the real world and real world driving. Some players actually role play in GT.

I'm sure anyone can add something negative as to why PD shouldn't spend resources on this aspect of the game. Okay, so what if all other things were addressed?: Competitive AI, trees looked real, all type of weather, physics perfect, economy spot on, game replayability high, penalty algorithm sorted. It's all done right in fantasy land. Can the OP live and we have a discussion about the possibility?

Which feature I would love to see is brand loyalty.

Picking a brand and staying loyal to them in the game which allows you to get discounts even access to rare cars of that brand.

Now that would be awesome. Something which would suit Gran Turismo a lot.

Which feature I would love to see is brand loyalty.

Picking a brand and staying loyal to them in the game which allows you to get discounts even access to rare cars of that brand.

Now that would be awesome. Something which would suit Gran Turismo a lot.

That would be a very interesting additionj, good idea man :)

Hi guys, I appreciate all your responses!

Honestly, while I do love racing online in GT, I have had equal pleasure on servers which do track days, cruises, drift lobbies.

The whole point of something like this is to expand the social part of GT - Ok imagine this, what is more fun? Drift practice around Tsukuba offline alone or with bots, or drift practice online with actual people? <-- Trust me, I can do the latter for hours while the former hardly stays fun for an hour.

I just thought it would be really cool to have your "Gang" of friends cruising around town and showing off rides etc.

Why I want GT to do this and not play Forza Horizon? The physics, the feedback and drivability and real life feeling of driving an actual car in GT is extremely unique. Even Forza 7 doesn't hold a candle to GT and I honestly regularly play FH4 & F7 on PC.

Honestly, while I do love racing online in GT, I have had equal pleasure on servers which do track days, cruises, drift lobbies.

The whole point of something like this is to expand the social part of GT - Ok imagine this, what is more fun? Drift practice around Tsukuba offline alone or with bots, or drift practice online with actual people? <-- Trust me, I can do the latter for hours while the former hardly stays fun for an hour.

I just thought it would be really cool to have your "Gang" of friends cruising around town and showing off rides etc.

Why I want GT to do this and not play Forza Horizon? The physics, the feedback and drivability and real life feeling of driving an actual car in GT is extremely unique. Even Forza 7 doesn't hold a candle to GT and I honestly regularly play FH4 & F7 on PC.

Well how about this idea presented by the Top gear YouTube channel, this would work so well in Gran Turismo 7!
Perfect for Arcade mode thrills and spills and drifting carnage!

The only way it could happen imo is if they went down the Forza Horizon route & did it as a separate game.

If we are indulging in fantasy, imagine a collaboration between PD, Turn 10, Playground & Rockstar. Rockstar to design the open world and take care of the character acting, Turn 10 & Playground for the car lists & campaign & PD to look after the track list, physics, general polish & graphic quality.

Or just connect all the Tokyo Expressway circuits (if included in GT7) to create one big city track with available entry/exits on or off the expressway. And maybe a big NY Times Square track with all the roads and traffic lights/stop signs. Also the German autobahn could be replicated. They clearly know that cop lobbies and such are popular, hence why they added the “safety cars” in GT Sport...

Last edited:
The only way it could happen imo is if they went down the Forza Horizon route & did it as a separate game.

If we are indulging in fantasy, imagine a collaboration between PD, Turn 10, Playground & Rockstar. Rockstar to design the open world and take care of the character acting, Turn 10 & Playground for the car lists & campaign & PD to look after the track list, physics, general polish & graphic quality.

Great idea!

However;

1. City development: Rockstar
2. Story: Shuichi Shigeno
3. Car list: PD (5000 cars)
4. Car development: Turn10 & Playground
5. Game engine: PD
6. Tracks: PD
7. Sounds: Kunos Simulazioni (AC)
8. Physics: PD
9. Graphics development: Crytek
10. Race AI: Monolith Productions

That really isn't very Gran Turismo though and I just don't see PD ever doing anything like that officially, it's not their style.

I remind you, PD's idea of Top Gear style fun driving was tanks and Samba Buses going round the track at 50mph.

Lol.. true

So, I feel the need to weigh in, here: I would LOVE to see an open world map in GT. Even without making it the focus, without some of the integral gameplay elements laid out by the OP, having a large map to cruise around in and go exploring would be fabulous. As far as the social element, I can see this being made sort of... for lack of a better term, open source: the open world map doesn't have any established gameplay, instead the players fill it all in with their own ideas.

Even offline, sometimes I want to just go for a cruise, and do so with GT and it's vast attention to detail, physics and graphics. Admittedly I don't know that I'd want it to become a vast TDU clone, but I do remember Kaz thinking out loud about adding an open map for cruising and shenanigans, which I would absolutely adore.

Another idea, is to populate it with random bot racers that you could do impromptu street racing with, ala Tokyo Xtreme Racer. Imagine that, but with GT physics, controls, graphics and car list. It wouldn't even need to be that elaborate, just an elegant bonus when you're tired of racing and lap times, but still want to just drive around. After all, I love doing it in real life in a rusty old Mazda, imagine doing it in your dream car in exotic locations. AC et al already offers mods of this nature.

Last edited:
You can already do this in Asseto Corsa and get even better psychics and feedback. :)

Last edited:
Here's something relevant that I think we should note: the level system is returning in GT7, or at least it seems like it, if the initial trailer was anything to go by. I wonder how levels will play into GT7? Personally, I hope it's not a huge hassle to reach the level cap like it was in GT Sport, and I also hope there are worthy rewards. Ideally, I would like it if you couldn't simply grind your way to each level, but instead, had to complete certain tasks, and gain actual experience. So for example, you could gain the first level by completing the first driving test with bronze or better. And some licenses would be gated by your level, y'know? Which in turn, would be increased by performing well in the campaign's races. So there'd be some elements from GT6's campaign, where you had to get a certain amount of stars to move onto the next level.

I also don't know if we need to gain experience from online races, but if we did get it, I'd rather have the exp gains (as well as credit gains) be affected by the average driver rating of the field, rather than the type of car you're driving. So on average, a DR A driver would gain notably more credits in any given race - regardless of what's being driven - than say, a DR C driver, assuming both drivers were matched with drivers of similar DR, and placed the same.

Generally, I'd like to avoid a repeat of the situation in GTS, where not only does getting to level 50 take forever, but there are also no notable prizes past a certain level, plus the exp gains are both pitiful (online and off) and can be exploited, namely by repeatedly racing a KTM X-Bow at the Premium Sports Lounge's round at Blue Moon Bay Speedway. This RPG element of leveling up, I feel, should evolve so that it should come with gaining actual, literal experience, and gaining further gameplay literacy with GT7, rather than being a somewhat arbitrary number that can be inflated with grinding. I honestly think that for the most part, grinding is the antithesis of gaining experience.

Last edited:
Back