GT7 tire model

• Thread starter RunSwimFly
  • 22 comments
Australia
Australia
I'd like to share a few observations on the tyre ("tire" across the pond) model and the driving practices it elicits. Feel free to tell me I'm wrong, I've had limited experience with this game and no sim racing for a long time before that. I'm trying to test my understanding of what's going on rather than hold court. In the distant past I was a motorcycle road racer and I've previously designed the driving model for a series of driving games. While they were primarily dirt track games with vastly different parameters the fundamentals of slip angle and ratio and tyre load still apply.
I'll state from the outset that I'm enjoying the game. Force feedback in particular has come some way since I was working in the space in the late 90s and early 00s. That said, despite the updates (and I haven't driven the earlier versions) the transition from grip to slip seems excessively abrupt, even for a sim. In the mid engine cars this manifests as a sudden loss of rear traction on a trailing throttle most particularly in corner combinations. In the front engine rear drive cars it's a sudden uncorrectable spin under acceleration while the tyres are experiencing lateral turning forces. And the 4WD vehicles seem to suffer from a lesser combination of both. As for the rear engine cars, I endured the Porsche cup through the Cafe Menu system and I'm in no hurry to go back.
Without more experience or access to the internals it's difficult to determine where this is coming from. The drop in lateral force with slip angle might be excessive, it could be an excessive drop in longitudinal force with increasing slip ratio (wheelspin relative to forward velocity of the tire), an unhappy marriage of both or errors in the effect of tyre load (weight transfer) on grip coefficient. Whatever the cause, for my money the accuracy of a driving experience is most meaningfully measured by the driving behaviours that top competitors employ and it's here that GT7 is found somewhat wanting. Note that even an entirely accurate model may illicit unrealistic driving practices if real world driving cues are absent. For this reason my bias (if any) would be to make the model slightly more forgiving than reality so that drivers can still push as hard and consistently as they might in the real world. As an example when my race bike would break traction exiting a turn there would be a set of rotational motion and vibrational cues that would be absent in all but the most dedicated sim rig allowing faster response and a greater chance of saving the slide even before the engine note changed.
I've been particularly focussed on the Group 3 daily races at Red Bull Ring this week and particularly using the WRX. It seems the drivers getting into the 1:27s and 1:28s are doing some radical short shifting. 1st to 3rd etc or 2nd straight through to 4th. At first I thought there might be some odd low range torque boost they were getting in the WRX but it was only when I switched TCS from 1 to zero that I finally grokked. It's simply the surest way to get the power down without your lateral tire forces shrinking to near zero in the blink of an eye. You can get similar results by judiciously riding the throttle but given the delay in response and difficulty in gauging exactly what your throttle setting is its more reliable and just as effective to be running a higher gear. I'd thought that I wasn't losing much by running TCS at 1 and getting the physics model to behave with a little more predictability but as I gained more experience at Red Bull I realised it was cutting in on fast turns which I could otherwise take flat out. As such having it off is the best way for me to make significant improvements in my lap times but it also means I'm spinning out more frequently.
The other thing that strikes me as a little odd is the downshift of an extra gear purely for the purposes of getting the car to turn in. While a bit of turn in might be expected it's enough that you have to counter steer when you get it wrong. Once again this might be down to inaccuracies in weight transfer, tyre load to grip or excessive loss of rear lateral traction under engine braking.

The drop in lateral force with slip angle might be excessive, it could be an excessive drop in longitudinal force with increasing slip ratio (wheelspin relative to forward velocity of the tire),
I believe I'm observing this as well, but I'm not certain yet. I like the analysis 👍.

My issue is recovering from power-oversteer: I feel like I cannot power out in a controlled slide.
Right now, I can only drop throttle to almost zero and wait for the rear to regain grip. In my other SIM experience, IRL snow drifting experience, and in (more limited) dry weather track driving experience, I expect to be able to use maintenance throttle to keep weight onto the rear, then power out wheels spinning.

Now reason I say I'm not certain is that I'm seeing people on YouTube drifting stock cars and seemingly powering out of drifts without issue, so it could be just me...

Last edited:
My issue is recovering from power-oversteer: I feel like I cannot power out in a controlled slide.
Right now, I can only drop throttle to almost zero and wait for the rear to regain grip. In my other SIM experience, IRL snow drifting experience, and in (more limited) dry weather track driving experience, I expect to be able to use maintenance throttle to keep weight onto the rear, then power out wheels spinning.

Now reason I say I'm not certain is that I'm seeing people on YouTube drifting stock cars and seemingly powering out of drifts without issue, so it could be just me...
Yes exactly that. You have to watch it like a hawk, get right off the throttle, bit of counter steer maybe and if the gods of grip smile favourably upon you that day you might end up facing in the right direction. Having to back off the throttle just a bit would provide enough of a penalty without spins that fragment the field. That said I'm also seeing people in my races lapping pretty reliably in the low 1:30s and below. I haven't looked at any of their replays as yet but I'm assuming they have TCS off if they are returning those lap times. Hoping it's practice rather than more youthful reflexes.

Hi,

I Sometimes have the Feeling - that PD used Tires from the 80s/90s to Design their Modell and passed in the new tire generations from the Last years.

It seems to be mich easier to kill traction in 996, GTI, Scirocco R, Supra and Others then IT IS in my experience.

BR K

I'm in agreement with what's been said so far.
In real life, tire carcasses have some give to them and the stiffness of the sidewall will play a large roll in how easy or hard it is the catch the slide when it starts.

Something I noticed about GT7 is their seems to be little to no sidewall flex, and when the tire let's go there is zero warning as it begins and you have a very small chance to save it.

Playing GT Sport for the first time in a while last night with some friends who also track and autocross we all ended up having a great time and being pretty impressed with how the cars handled. The tire model is actually a little bit more realistic in how you can actually catch a slide when it starts and being able to correct it.
Where it is less realistic is in power-oversteer and the lack of heavy understeer in hard braking.
But otherwise, it's actually pretty good, you can almost feel the additional squishy nature of the less grippy and less stiff street tires compared to the race tires.

I believe I'm observing this as well, but I'm not certain yet. I like the analysis 👍.

Drifting is just broken in GT7 IMO. I have done a few drift days IRL on track with RWD V8 road car, it's not too hard to become 'OK' at (of course, I'm not a pro - talking about holding a slide through a corner and powering out without losing the rear) thanks to easy linear power delivery and ability to completely control it via throttle almost exclusively. In GT7 I'm simply unable to replicate this despite many hours more practicing. It's far harder than real life, far easier to lose the rear, far harder to control, the margin between controlled slide to no control is extremely slim, making it very hard if not impossible to 'catch' it once it starts slipping out. The drift missions are a major struggle to get gold for me. (I have only tried on wheel so far)

Similar applies to circuit racing when losing traction powering out of a corner - just seems far harder to catch it than in real life.

How much of this can be attributed to lack of real world feelings versus unrealistic physics, I don't know (IRL there's more than just the steering wheel providing feedback obviously). How much can be attributed to me being a noob, I don't know, but I do feel like it shouldn't be significantly harder than real life :)

BTW, tire models seem to be something most if not all sims have problems with. Interestingly, the same phenomenon of losing the rear being greatly exaggerated vs IRL is also something many professional drivers have complained about in iRacing

Last edited:
BTW, tire models seem to be something most if not all sims have problems with. Interestingly, the same phenomenon of losing the rear being greatly exaggerated vs IRL is also something many professional drivers have complained about in iRacing
That is interesting. Was looking forward to trying that one (again) once I have a PC. I tried Assetto Corsa on the PS5 the other night and after doing some solo laps I thought it might be a good alternative. Once I threw some AI in there though the frame rate seemed to get a bit choppy. Not sure if it actually was slowing down appreciably or I was just noticing it more with a target to chase. Anyway the choppy frame rate seemed to overcome any forgiveness in the grip transition and I was losing as many slides as I do with GT7 with TCS off.
I think I'm getting a little better at catching slides in GT7 now or at least I'm learning to drive to avoid extreme ones. Not ideal, I'd rather not be driving so much within my limits, but think it's going to be the racing title consuming most of my time until I get a PC.

Was pleasantly surprised to see that driving (particularly braking) on the wet areas of a drying track with Wet/Intermediates appeared to preserve the tyres more than adhering to the dry/drying racing line.

Can't quantify it TBF but I noticed that boxes indicating wear would appear around the burdened tyres (on the gauge) when braking/cornering on the dry line; this did not happen on the same tyres when sticking to the outer, wetter sections of the track.

Think @WRP001 was discussing this with another member (discussing temps affecting wear and whether that manifested in GT) - can't say for temps really, but good to know that this dynamic exists. Came in handy at a wet Le Mans WTC700 event! :)

Pleasing because I felt the physics lost a bit of integrity with the recent discovery of the effects of gearing on AI pace/rubber-banding.

Last edited:
When I see videos like this, it's really hard to keep thinking there's anything really that wrong except for my own skills??

Or in addition to that, false expectations because I'm not as fully able to map SIM to reality as I think I am.

Last edited:

Absolutely. And it is not just you by a long shot. I think the people that drift well in games like this are often times people that learned to drift in games and aren't incumbered by wanting to drive the car based on real world experience. They also almost always use comfort hard tires which allow the greatest level of slip correction simply due to the far reduced lack of snap when regaining traction. IRL the guys I drift with are almost always on sticky high performance or R compound tires from Falken, Nexen, Valino, Toyo etc.. not really something that works in GT7.

A too have a bunch of IRL experience in all manner of car, have been to two driving schools, many autocrosses, many HPDEs, many grassroots drift events (including instructing), I've been blessed with owing many enthusiast vehicles, and a group of friends in which we trust each other to share them back and forth.

The challenge of GT7 is fun most times, but having to completely drop or almost totally reduce throttle to avoid looping out and then dealing with the ensuing snap back is just violent and wrong in comparison to what happens in the real world. I can chuck my buddies 500hp Cressida or 250hp 1UZ Corolla at a wall at 80mph and be comfortable in a lot of slip angle, go absolutely mad in my 400hp RX7 with crazy throttle and steering angles and no concern or issues, or slide my heavy, understeer prone S6 around, but even the purpose built Turn 14 BRZ is almost impossible to drift in game, when I know it would be childs play for me in the actual car, and for many others who have even a basic level of driving skill.

For instance, I built a E46 M3 CSL rep in game. It's tuned to meet the 2800lb and 355-360hp metrics that the real life CSL has, but for Christ's sakes, the CSL is known to not only be one of the best handling BMWs ever made, but of cars full stop. The thing will absolutely SNAP with marginal throttle when loaded in a corner, and then it takes fighting it snapping back the other direction with countersteer to keep it straight, leading to messy tank slappers sometimes, and often just being slow as hell if you aren't absolutely finessing it at all times. This is true of the stock E46 M3 in game as well. There should be a large, comfy area of slip angle there that GT7 has narrowed down to the width of a hair.

I have seat time in a mostly stock E46 M3 in autocross, open track days, and general street hooning, and the thing is damn near telepathic with how easy it is to manage oversteer, rest in it, add more, or pull out at will. Even in stock form the GT7 M3 is just unstable beyond the limit. It and my CSL rep are both rewarding to drive, but they aren't like their real life counterparts at all when things go beyond the limit.

All this goes for basically any RWD car in game as well. When we can actually drift it's very rewarding, but it still shouldn't be like this. The handling peculiarity also extends to AWD cars that are unnaturally oversteery and don't pull themselves through with their front tires on throttle, FWD cars that will not lift-throttle oversteer at all and become oversteery on throttle which is just an insane concept and, once again, completely unbefitting reality and also issues with dirt in where the cars don't oversteer enough. I did a truck race with a Raptor and it wouldn't break loose in second and third gear on dirt. My IRL 170hp Impreza on "28 tires oversteers WAY more. This just doesn't make any sense.

It's strange how much in this game feels natural, and at the same time how much they get things so wrong. I hope that future updates rectify some issues, but I've settled on what it is at the moment. For better and worse.

Sorry 'bout the wall of text. I get all passionate about nerdy car stuff. :lol:

Last edited:
The challenge of GT7 is fun most times, but having to completely drop or almost totally reduce throttle to avoid looping out and then dealing with the ensuing snap back is just violent and wrong in comparison to what happens in the real world. I can chuck my
I hadn't thought about it like that but that's exactly what I'm doing. There's no graduation in reduction of throttle while you wait for the tyres to hook up again. It's right off the throttle and wait to see if it's going to be a snap back or the full fish tail experience. At least at the level I'm driving at.

I hadn't thought about it like that but that's exactly what I'm doing. There's no graduation in reduction of throttle while you wait for the tyres to hook up again. It's right off the throttle and wait to see if it's going to be a snap back or the full fish tail experience. At least at the level I'm driving at.
Yep. There is a super fine line of throttle input and steering angle that GT7 allows to be the "sweet spot" in maintaining oversteer. It's so small, it's often impossible to find and balance in time.

Honestly in most cases you should be able to turn into the slide more and apply more throttle, not for anything productive or quick, but to just get deeper into the madness of the slide. Basically impossible with any real tire in GT7.

Tomorrow I'll take a couple of my favorite rear drivers, slap some CH tires on them and practice. I also want to do some testing with the steering angle adapter, as I haven't used it much since 1.13. I'll keep you posted if I come up with anything worth yapping about! Ha ha

Welp, I put in a couple hours this morning in a BMW M3 and a BRZ and I straight up suck at this. That stupid narrow threshold just doesn't leave any room for error at all. Even with the CH tires once grip comes back, unless your tires are pointed EXACTLY where opposite lock is an throttle is perfectly applied to keep oversteer going without gripping up or bogging down, you're screwed. The car will either snap or spin. I don't think in all that time and tuning I got a single, decent, good looking lap of Tsukuba. It's really not fun for me at all.

The steering angle adapter helps, and dialing my steering sensitivity from 1 to 2 allowed for what felt like a little more dead zone, but my brain can not correlate the way I would drift in real life with the way things are in game. There is just no forgiveness at all.

Going into a slide IRL I'll just let go of the wheel and catch it where I want the angle to be. In game... NOPE. Usually that leads to the car snapping the opposite way into the wall. I can't fathom how in those videos above they have such a fluid, realistic way with the wheel and opposite lock. On my T300RS it makes no sense.

Grip driving is fine, but drifting escapes me. It's gonna take a LOT more practice before my brain wraps around it and muscle memory adapts, but I don't know if I've got the patience for that.

The steering angle adapter helps, and dialing my steering sensitivity from 1 to 2 allowed for what felt like a little more dead zone, but my brain can not correlate the way I would drift in real life with the way things are in game. There is just no forgiveness at all.
I'm using logitech G27 and I use different setting for drifting and grip. sensitivity 1 to 2 won't work at all for drifting because my G27 FFB isn't quick enough to catch and hold the drift after I initiate my drift, I had to put it all the way to 9 maybe you could try a higher sensitivity on your wheel see if it's better?

Welp, I put in a couple hours this morning in a BMW M3 and a BRZ and I straight up suck at this. That stupid narrow threshold just doesn't leave any room for error at all. Even with the CH tires once grip comes back, unless your tires are pointed EXACTLY where opposite lock is an throttle is perfectly applied to keep oversteer going without gripping up or bogging down, you're screwed. The car will either snap or spin. I don't think in all that time and tuning I got a single, decent, good looking lap of Tsukuba. It's really not fun for me at all.

Going into a slide IRL I'll just let go of the wheel and catch it where I want the angle to be. In game... NOPE. Usually that leads to the car snapping the opposite way into the wall. I can't fathom how in those videos above they have such a fluid, realistic way with the wheel and opposite lock. On my T300RS it makes no sense.

Grip driving is fine, but drifting escapes me. It's gonna take a LOT more practice before my brain wraps around it and muscle memory adapts, but I don't know if I've got the patience for that.
I've been doing the same over the past ... I don't want to admit it... but maybe a week now. An 1hr a day , maybe more. Real honest practice like I do with other skill sports or a music instrument. And you know, I'm improving, I'm holding onto slides, modulating them with throttle, getting better at hitting the line I want, and avoiding spins. And, I'm having a lot of fun succeeding bit by bit.

To address your earlier post about gamers not being held back by real life, yes I agree. Flipping that around, our experience might be holding us IRL people back, and we're not ready to admit it or realize it. We're still relying on real life cues that aren't there in the SIM, and we have to break that. Like G-forces for example: IRL I corner by G. I have a preset feel for braking, entry, exit, transition through each via trail braking, throttle modulation, and winding/unwinding the steering precisely. Ride the outside of the friction circle all the way. Smooth as butter, no jerking around. You probably know exactly what I'm talking about given your IRL experience. But there are no G forces to be felt in game, so I use other cues to infer it.

I think (obviously) I haven't found that IRL to SIM feel for drifting in GT7. The videos I posted PROVES it can be done, and by the look of his inputs, it all seems kosher to me. BTW, that guy is using the STOCK setups including tires he says.

I've had some break throughs which helped, and you hit one one of them which is letting the steering wheel return itself. BAM, that IRL expectation held me back. Whether it's GT7 or the G29, it's not going to, just like it's not going to give you G forces. I reset my head around this, used my imagination (like G forces), and BAM I was catching and holding slides better on throttle.

Another point of advice is watch replays. An example for me was trying to figure why it keeps spinning in at a particular spot. The replay clearly looked like a car that would spin in that situation... nothing looked wrong about it. And one of the reasons I was able to see was that countersteering wasn't happening at the right time (as per above). I thought I was doing the right thing there, but I clearly was not.

I guess what I'm saying is, do keep trying. Not saying the physics doesn't have problems, but the player-interface aspect might be making hard to judge it well.

Last edited:
I'd like to share a few observations on the tyre ("tire" across the pond) model and the driving practices it elicits. Feel free to tell me I'm wrong, I've had limited experience with this game and no sim racing for a long time before that. I'm trying to test my understanding of what's going on rather than hold court. In the distant past I was a motorcycle road racer and I've previously designed the driving model for a series of driving games. While they were primarily dirt track games with vastly different parameters the fundamentals of slip angle and ratio and tyre load still apply.
I'll state from the outset that I'm enjoying the game. Force feedback in particular has come some way since I was working in the space in the late 90s and early 00s. That said, despite the updates (and I haven't driven the earlier versions) the transition from grip to slip seems excessively abrupt, even for a sim. In the mid engine cars this manifests as a sudden loss of rear traction on a trailing throttle most particularly in corner combinations. In the front engine rear drive cars it's a sudden uncorrectable spin under acceleration while the tyres are experiencing lateral turning forces. And the 4WD vehicles seem to suffer from a lesser combination of both. As for the rear engine cars, I endured the Porsche cup through the Cafe Menu system and I'm in no hurry to go back.
Without more experience or access to the internals it's difficult to determine where this is coming from. The drop in lateral force with slip angle might be excessive, it could be an excessive drop in longitudinal force with increasing slip ratio (wheelspin relative to forward velocity of the tire), an unhappy marriage of both or errors in the effect of tyre load (weight transfer) on grip coefficient. Whatever the cause, for my money the accuracy of a driving experience is most meaningfully measured by the driving behaviours that top competitors employ and it's here that GT7 is found somewhat wanting. Note that even an entirely accurate model may illicit unrealistic driving practices if real world driving cues are absent. For this reason my bias (if any) would be to make the model slightly more forgiving than reality so that drivers can still push as hard and consistently as they might in the real world. As an example when my race bike would break traction exiting a turn there would be a set of rotational motion and vibrational cues that would be absent in all but the most dedicated sim rig allowing faster response and a greater chance of saving the slide even before the engine note changed.
I've been particularly focussed on the Group 3 daily races at Red Bull Ring this week and particularly using the WRX. It seems the drivers getting into the 1:27s and 1:28s are doing some radical short shifting. 1st to 3rd etc or 2nd straight through to 4th. At first I thought there might be some odd low range torque boost they were getting in the WRX but it was only when I switched TCS from 1 to zero that I finally grokked. It's simply the surest way to get the power down without your lateral tire forces shrinking to near zero in the blink of an eye. You can get similar results by judiciously riding the throttle but given the delay in response and difficulty in gauging exactly what your throttle setting is its more reliable and just as effective to be running a higher gear. I'd thought that I wasn't losing much by running TCS at 1 and getting the physics model to behave with a little more predictability but as I gained more experience at Red Bull I realised it was cutting in on fast turns which I could otherwise take flat out. As such having it off is the best way for me to make significant improvements in my lap times but it also means I'm spinning out more frequently.
The other thing that strikes me as a little odd is the downshift of an extra gear purely for the purposes of getting the car to turn in. While a bit of turn in might be expected it's enough that you have to counter steer when you get it wrong. Once again this might be down to inaccuracies in weight transfer, tyre load to grip or excessive loss of rear lateral traction under engine braking.
Very good analysis and breakdown, quite interesting views! Enjoyed reading this and the other replies 🙂

Another point of advice is watch replays. An example for me was trying to figure why it keeps spinning in at a particular spot. The replay clearly looked like a car that would spin in that situation... nothing looked wrong about it. And one of the reasons I was able to see was that countersteering wasn't happening at the right time (as per above). I thought I was doing the right thing there, but I clearly was not.
Is there a way to change camera angles in replays? I can’t find any way to do it, but the arbitrary camera angles aren’t always revealing the things I need to see.

They also almost always use comfort hard tires which allow the greatest level of slip correction simply due to the far reduced lack of snap when regaining traction. IRL the guys I drift with are almost always o
It never got to me using CHs for drifting, I usually use at least CS' or sports tires depending on power. However in GT7 I find it downright impossible to properly drift cars I would manji on straights in GTS without a single issue. Even catching unintentional oversteer still feels so unnatural and impossible compared to both IRL and GTS it really saddens me.
I really hope some more updates address the oversteer physics at some point.

Last edited:
Is there a way to change camera angles in replays? I can’t find any way to do it, but the arbitrary camera angles aren’t always revealing the things I need to see.
Not that I know of. Try hitting the 10s rewind button, it gives you a new angle each time IIRC. Not ideal 😕...

Last edited:
I'm using logitech G27 and I use different setting for drifting and grip. sensitivity 1 to 2 won't work at all for drifting because my G27 FFB isn't quick enough to catch and hold the drift after I initiate my drift, I had to put it all the way to 9 maybe you could try a higher sensitivity on your wheel see if it's better?
I will definitely give it a shot. Sensitivity is kind of a backwards concept in game, as 1 is the most sensitive and 10 is the least. I always run at 1 (almost always focusing on NOT sliding for grip driving and speed) but I do think your suggestion can help if it still allows for quickly capturing opposite lock.

I'll give it a shot and report back when I've got time to fire the game up!
I've been doing the same over the past ... I don't want to admit it... but maybe a week now. An 1hr a day , maybe more. Real honest practice like I do with other skill sports or a music instrument. And you know, I'm improving, I'm holding onto slides, modulating them with throttle, getting better at hitting the line I want, and avoiding spins. And, I'm having a lot of fun succeeding bit by bit.

To address your earlier post about gamers not being held back by real life, yes I agree. Flipping that around, our experience might be holding us IRL people back, and we're not ready to admit it or realize it. We're still relying on real life cues that aren't there in the SIM, and we have to break that. Like G-forces for example: IRL I corner by G. I have a preset feel for braking, entry, exit, transition through each via trail braking, throttle modulation, and winding/unwinding the steering precisely. Ride the outside of the friction circle all the way. Smooth as butter, no jerking around. You probably know exactly what I'm talking about given your IRL experience. But there are no G forces to be felt in game, so I use other cues to infer it.

I think (obviously) I haven't found that IRL to SIM feel for drifting in GT7. The videos I posted PROVES it can be done, and by the look of his inputs, it all seems kosher to me. BTW, that guy is using the STOCK setups including tires he says.

I've had some break throughs which helped, and you hit one one of them which is letting the steering wheel return itself. BAM, that IRL expectation held me back. Whether it's GT7 or the G29, it's not going to, just like it's not going to give you G forces. I reset my head around this, used my imagination (like G forces), and BAM I was catching and holding slides better on throttle.

I guess what I'm saying is, do keep trying. Not saying the physics doesn't have problems, but the player-interface aspect might be making hard to judge it well.
I don't know why you wouldn't want to admit it... this is hard! Ha ha.

There is definitely a steep mental challenge in mentally accounting for the IRL body movements that let us know what our vehicles are doing at any given moment, but I still feel like the window of comfort in oversteer within GT7 is super narrow. There should just be a wider berth of area in which we can live in it. That said, people have already proved it's possible, so it can be done, and I will just have to practice more and more until that area becomes second nature. It's just so damn difficult though!

I still haven't become comfortable with my wheel finding opposite lock like IRL yet, I'll hopefully get there, but it's ultimately just a outlying skill that is only important to me and other masochistic players, and not a necessity when being "good" at the game, so it's really just frosting on the cake to become proficient at it. I will surely keep at it though, because it's one of those things that kind of sticks in my brain that I feel I "should" be able to do.

I also agree with your thoughts on countersteer timing, which it the biggest issue I think I'm having. I haven't had a lot of consistent lapping with pretty slides, but in the moments where it works, it's very rewarding, and that gives me the fuel to keep at it.

Thanks for the thoughtful post, and hopefully we'll both continue to get better at this useless, yet fun, skill.

I decided to spend/waste half my Sunday afternoon trying to get good. Lol.
After 2 hours or so I felt like I had finally got the hang of it but still hadn't quite got gold…. Had scored between 5000-5950 about 50 times, was getting very consistent. Took a break, started cooking some dinner, played more while dinner in oven, within a few minutes got it.

- No brake or handbrake used, throttle and steering only
- No assists other than ABS. No changes to steering sensitivity etc, used the fanatec recommended settings (same as I'd use for races)
- Took forever to get the hang of how to control throttle, as it's very different to my car IRL
- Soon as you pass the flags the score locks in, so you can full send when you know you'll get through them before spinning or going off track. lol

Can get ~5000-5500 easy enough while maintaining control of car on track. Could not get much higher without just full sending near the flags

Last edited:
I will definitely give it a shot. Sensitivity is kind of a backwards concept in game, as 1 is the most sensitive and 10 is the least. I always run at 1 (almost always focusing on NOT sliding for grip driving and speed) but I do think your suggestion can help if it still allows for quickly capturing opposite lock.

I'll give it a shot and report back when I've got time to fire the game up!

I don't know why you wouldn't want to admit it... this is hard! Ha ha.

There is definitely a steep mental challenge in mentally accounting for the IRL body movements that let us know what our vehicles are doing at any given moment, but I still feel like the window of comfort in oversteer within GT7 is super narrow. There should just be a wider berth of area in which we can live in it. That said, people have already proved it's possible, so it can be done, and I will just have to practice more and more until that area becomes second nature. It's just so damn difficult though!

I still haven't become comfortable with my wheel finding opposite lock like IRL yet, I'll hopefully get there, but it's ultimately just a outlying skill that is only important to me and other masochistic players, and not a necessity when being "good" at the game, so it's really just frosting on the cake to become proficient at it. I will surely keep at it though, because it's one of those things that kind of sticks in my brain that I feel I "should" be able to do.

I also agree with your thoughts on countersteer timing, which it the biggest issue I think I'm having. I haven't had a lot of consistent lapping with pretty slides, but in the moments where it works, it's very rewarding, and that gives me the fuel to keep at it.

Thanks for the thoughtful post, and hopefully we'll both continue to get better at this useless, yet fun, skill.
Cheers to that, and you're totally right that it's something fun to do that doesn't really have anything to do with running fast laps, and thank goodness!

I decided to spend/waste half my Sunday afternoon trying to get good. Lol.
After 2 hours or so I felt like I had finally got the hang of it but still hadn't quite got gold…. Had scored between 5000-5950 about 50 times, was getting very consistent. Took a break, started cooking some dinner, played more while dinner in oven, within a few minutes got it.

- No brake or handbrake used, throttle and steering only
- No assists other than ABS. No changes to steering sensitivity etc, used the fanatec recommended settings (same as I'd use for races)
- Took forever to get the hang of how to control throttle, as it's very different to my car IRL
- Soon as you pass the flags the score locks in, so you can full send when you know you'll get through them before spinning or going off track. lol

Can get ~5000-5500 easy enough while maintaining control of car on track. Could not get much higher without just full sending near the flags

I'm feeling that reaction at the end... Lol. Nice driving!

Back