GTA IV Textures Flicker [PC] Help me?

• Thread starter Maccer_42
  • 8 comments
United Kingdom
England
Hey all was hoping someone here might be able to help.

I recently bought GTA IV on steam, and for the most part the game runs fine, decent FPS (with a slight stutter here and there) but I'm constantly getting flickering textures of things like graffiti on walls, and shadows on buildings. It also seems to swap between loading long distance models and close distance ones on buildings, (e.g fire escapes pop in right as I i drive by buildings, signs on buildings etc, same as it swapping between a high detailed building model and low detailed one as I drive by)

The way it plays right now reminds me playing a scratched disc PS2 game, the game still runs and plays ok but something isn't working right.

My in game settings are:

Resolution : 1920 x 1080
Aspect Ratio: 16:10
Texture Detail: High
Reflection resolution: Medium
Water quality: Medium
Shadow quality: Medium
Nigh shadows: off
Texture filter quality: Anisotropic x8
View distance: 25
Detail distance: 10
Vehicle density: 16
Definition: On
Vsync: On

Resource usage: 668/1002

My PC specs:
Processor: AMD FX 4100 Quad Core Processor 3.60 Ghz
Ram: 4.00GB
Graphics card: (Gigabyte) AMD Radeon HD 7770 GDDR5 1GB (Driver version 12.104.0.0)

I've tried to lower the in game graphics settings and all that does for me is make the game look worse while still having flickering textures and still swapping between close and long distance models for buildings.

I have tried a few things like commandlines but they didn't help me.

I tried to follow this tutorial here http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=384473 which is supposed to trick the game into loading certain things at 800x600 while still displaying textures at 1080x1920 I think, but I couldn't get it to work as when I reach this step:

4. Now when we start up our game. We will be in our desired resolution, and when we look in the game options it will say 800x600, even though we are in a way higher resolution and all your settings will be how you want them and your memory budget will be exactly the right amount or similar like 650/650 or 742/746.etc
I check my in game graphics settings and it has reverted back to saying it's 1080x1920.

Any help or advice you may be able to offer me will be appreciated.

No one have any advice at all? I've learned the correct name for the texture flickering issue I'm having is known as "Z-Fighting" But I have no idea what the correct name would be for buildings etc loading in as low detail models then swapping to high detail models back and forth a few times before settling as high detail model.

I also updated my graphics card drivers to the latest beta ones, 13.200.0.0 which made zero difference.

I tried contacting RockStar support for help, they responded and asked for my DXDiag and MSinfo files before they could offer any advice which I sent them, but that was 3 days ago and I'm still waiting for any word from them.

Do you have the problem on other games as well?
It seems like graphic driver problem or maybe your graphic card gets too hot.
As I haven't had a Ati graphic card for some time now, so I might be wrong, but Ati isn't renowned for their drivers what I recall.

Have you installed latest dx 9 version?
As GTA IV is a directx 9 game which is not standard in windows 7.

Windows 7 has directx 11 built-in. It's mostly the absence of directx 9 that causes problems with dx 9 games.
Although if you bought it on steam, steam should check for that.

So I just downgraded to patch 1.0.4.0 and WOW! what a difference it made,

Flickering texture / Z-fighting issue: Gone
Late pop in / Low Detail buildings issue: Gone
FPS is more solid and stable.

Only negative is shadows are less crisp, but overall patch 1.0.4.0 is a thousand times better for my PC than patch 1.0.7.0 is.

So I just downgraded to patch 1.0.4.0 and WOW! what a difference it made,

Flickering texture / Z-fighting issue: Gone
Late pop in / Low Detail buildings issue: Gone
FPS is more solid and stable.

Only negative is shadows are less crisp, but overall patch 1.0.4.0 is a thousand times better for my PC than patch 1.0.7.0 is.

Do you use an HDMI?

Back