GTA Online: My problems with racing and deathmatches.

United States
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
ScorchingAngel01
I always like playing my custom jobs with some random players that I don't know. It always feels like a good experience. Heck, that deathmatch inside Franklin's house is quite competitive. But I felt like the times of having good races and deathmatches has came to an end.

Racing: Well racing on GTA Online is pretty much the machine of turning players into professional demolition derby drivers. I sometimes blame GTA Online for all the ramming I've seen in other driving games. While I have experience people ramming each other before GTA V even existed. Ram your opponents off the track to win now feels like a trend for all driving / racing games. Probably before, NFS and Burnout could of been the two causes up until GTA Online. But that's not what I'm here to talk about. I always seem to never get a good and intense race. Almost all of the time I win and my opponents fall behind greatly to my perspective. Heck even in the most easiest races to navigate and doesn't require going through alley ways, parking lots, etc. they always seem to mess up and have hard time trying to catch up. If you can't navigate through a race that's so easy to race in, just don't do racing then. Heck this is not because of low ranked players. The same happens to people over Rank 100. Yet I could understand that its something new that players are driving in that I made but just when will I ever have a spectacular race with players who have probably been playing GTA Online since 2013? Or atleast since day one? I know it always feels good to win but sometimes you just want an actual good race if you were playing online.

Deathmatches and any game mode that involves killing: This is probably my more bigger complaint. I have been into many deathmatch lobbies where there's some good players on our team and the match gets really competitive where you think that your going to win but the other team gains an advantage and ends up winning. That's how a good deathmatch is. But in my lobbies it's like this for the most part. Let's say that the enemy team has a score of 132 and my team has a score of 98. That's just stupid and this is mostly because of the game putting me in a team that is full of low ranked players and it's even worse when I get a lobby full of rank 100s and almost all of them but me are in the enemy team. How stupid. It's not the players fault. It's the game's fault. Why can't it be balanced like I could have atleast 4 players in my team that are over rank 100 if there's enough. 4 players on my team that are under rank 100 and the same for the enemy team. No it has to be unbalanced. Heck its even worse when I get a team full of people under Rank 10 and the other team.... Well you probably already know.

I know your going to ask me to play with my friends but half of time non of them want to play with me. I think it would be better asking. But after all of the problems I discussed. I was wondering if any of you guys would like to play with me. My username should be under my GTP username unless if you guys are viewing this thread or using GTPlanet on mobile which I am writing this through my IPod Touch, my username on PSN is pokemonfan58 which is the same username as my GTPlanet account.

Anyways that's all I have to say. I would love to play with you guys.

The big issue with racing in GTA: distrust. I hate starting the race on the lead, as I'm pretty sure two seconds into the race I will be spinning into the nearest tree/house/lamp post before I can do anything about it. The distrust aspect is important to consider: people think everyone is a rammer, and thus think is fine to ram other players. Overly trusting other players to do the right thing has cost me races. For once, I do not ram anyone that hasn't rammed me yet. So they may be catching up to me, and I decided to let them pass... until they crash into my butt and make me spin. That's when, at the nearest time possible, I will aim for their car instead of the apex (which in this game is practically useless, considering 95% of races have catch-up enabled). Some people think the guy being smashed is having fun. I know this is the case if I play with people I "know" (someone from my crew), but I have no fun at all if I'm smashed by some 9-year old that proceeds to laugh at me, not to mention the older guys that actually taunt you.

If people trusted each other, I think there wouldn't be so much ramming. It's the fact that everyone just expects to be spun out early in the race that makes them, in turn, try to spin out other drivers.

And as for deathmatches, I hate having less players on my team than the opposition. Skill is something the game cannot know, so it's down to the host to turn-off 🤬 owned weapons, as a rocket launcher is all it takes for one player carefully taken cover from losing against a guy who's just standing there, posing no truble otherwise.

The big issue with racing in GTA: distrust. I hate starting the race on the lead, as I'm pretty sure two seconds into the race I will be spinning into the nearest tree/house/lamp post before I can do anything about it. The distrust aspect is important to consider: people think everyone is a rammer, and thus think is fine to ram other players. Overly trusting other players to do the right thing has cost me races. For once, I do not ram anyone that hasn't rammed me yet. So they may be catching up to me, and I decided to let them pass... until they crash into my butt and make me spin. That's when, at the nearest time possible, I will aim for their car instead of the apex (which in this game is practically useless, considering 95% of races have catch-up enabled). Some people think the guy being smashed is having fun. I know this is the case if I play with people I "know" (someone from my crew), but I have no fun at all if I'm smashed by some 9-year old that proceeds to laugh at me, not to mention the older guys that actually taunt you.

If people trusted each other, I think there wouldn't be so much ramming. It's the fact that everyone just expects to be spun out early in the race that makes them, in turn, try to spin out other drivers.

And as for deathmatches, I hate having less players on my team than the opposition. Skill is something the game cannot know, so it's down to the host to turn-off 🤬 owned weapons, as a rocket launcher is all it takes for one player carefully taken cover from losing against a guy who's just standing there, posing no truble otherwise.
The same can actually happen in a free mode session. Since everyone doesn't play fair now, I actually end up using these tactics. I'm not really good at killing someone while driving so if someone ends up getting into a car chase with me, I would drive away from that person as far as possible. In matter of fact, I'm actually very good at getting away from someone chasing me. Then after parking my ride. I find the best spot to possibly take cover. I normally wouldn't recommend taking cover behind your personal vehicle as someone could kill you by blowing up your car. Taking away both your soul and your car with him. Well you could always call mors mutual insurance though and get it back. But still don't take cover behind a vehicle.

I guess it so happens to be that these people can't catch up with me and I seemed to be Sonic the Hedgehog for them. Or they don't own a faster car.

Last edited:
The same can actually happen in a free mode session. Since everyone doesn't play fair now, I actually end up using these tactics. I'm not really good at killing someone while driving so if someone ends up getting into a car chase with me, I would drive away from that person as far as possible. In matter of fact, I'm actually very good at getting away from someone chasing me. Then after parking my ride. I find the best spot to possibly take cover. I normally wouldn't recommend taking cover behind your personal vehicle as someone could kill you by blowing up your car. Taking away both your soul and your car. Well you could always call mors mutual insurance though and get it back. But still don't take cover behind a vehicle.

I guess it so happens to be that these people can't catch up with me and I seemed to be Sonic the Hedgehog for them. Or they don't own a faster car.

I hate having my car sticky bombed by some random stranger chasing after me. It's like they can't even deal with being the wolves, having to resort to such cheap tactics to take me out. I have no problems sticky bombing someone who comes after me, self-defense and all that, but some people just have fun pulling up next to you, and bombing you out of nowhere.

I hate having my car sticky bombed by some random stranger chasing after me. It's like they can't even deal with being the wolves, having to resort to such cheap tactics to take me out. I have no problems sticky bombing someone who comes after me, self-defense and all that, but some people just have fun pulling up next to you, and bombing you out of nowhere.
Don't play in public lobbies, avoid other players, or shoot on sight then.

It's GTA. It's been like this since Online launched. GTA IV was like this online. Whenever I play in public lobbies, I always have my AP pistol at the ready, and a full inventory of stickies. As for racing, unless I'm with crew/friends, it's every man for himself, although I do normally avoid using the really dirty moves on other players unless I see them using them. As for deathmatches, I've got nothing against tactically using rocket-launchers, and they're quite often pickups on the map, so turning owned weapons off does nothing for that.

Racing and driving in GTA5 is often hilarious, whether it's a race or a chase in a public lobby.
Most of the people on GTPlanet are members because of their interest or obsession with the Gran Turismo series, and we've played them all until our thumbs have bled.
All the practice I've had in GT has definitely given me a head start in GTA5, and those that ram... probably are probably more comfortable carrying a full auto rifle in CoD or MW, and their driving skills just suck.
On many occasion I've watched Zetornos, Adders & Entitys etc. spin out while chasing me in my Dominator or Sabre because the player seems unable to drive at high speed. They spin, I stop, jump out and quickly put a bullet in their skull before they realise what has happened.

The deathmatches, I take with a pinch of salt. If I end up as part of the underdog team and we win, it's great to watch the others sulk and leave before the next vote. People still have the option to switch teams, but they rarely do, especially if they have a team full of high levels with what would be assumed as a guaranteed win.

E28
As for deathmatches, I've got nothing against tactically using rocket-launchers, and they're quite often pickups on the map, so turning owned weapons off does nothing for that.

Sometimes they are not. And that's when you are rocketed into the stratosphere.

As far as crashing goes, I have no problem racing in a track full of twists and jumps. Crashing is inevitable. A very different thing is someone sabotaging your victory. I would hardly call that fun.

Had several like that, they can't win the race and become morons, driving the wrong way trying for a head on crash with the race leaders.

Or, my favorite: failing a jump, crashing, and t-boning your car in reverse as you are attempting the jump yourself.

From personal experience: I've rarely spun anyone out, rammed (unless it was in free mode) another player, hit 'n run for fun, or screw up a race. It's kids these days thinking: "I'm better than those 🤬 guys. Anyone gets close, they gonna be sorry." Or "Imma troll this guy 'til he rage quits or cries." IT'S Stupid! :banghead::dunce::grumpy: As anyone knows, like y'all said, it's distrust/mods that makes anyone a real big threat or cheap scumbag. I'm mostly in passive mode driving my cars (Stinger GT, Monroe, Elegy RH8, Phoenix, Cheetah, Bullet, F620, or Comet), dressing like I would live normally, hanging with pals online:idea:, doing jobs, racing others in non-contact/rally/normal races:gtpflag:, golfing, sniping trollers/enemies:ouch:, or offline testing. Sorry, but I play to have fun, not be a dick/wannabe-kingpin. As a guy who has played all possible GTAs, Gran Turismos, NFS (except Nitro:yuck:), and Midnight Clubs (hoping for the next one to be great as LA). So forgive me if I seem like I look a douche here as I am trying not be.:bowdown: - Cheers :cheers: to the real good and friendly players all over!
upload_2014-11-28_23-48-52.png

The big issue with racing in GTA: distrust.

Precisely this, I only enjoying racing properly with friends unless I know that I'm going to be in a deathmatch race. I'm quite good at those as part of my "natural driving style" :D

Had several like that, they can't win the race and become morons, driving the wrong way trying for a head on crash with the race leaders.
I see that happen in lobbies. Who on earth taught these people how to race? One Direction?

It's quite funny to see that happen but it's just something part of stupidity that takes away the fun of GTA Online racing and turns it into Burnout Realism Simulator. Take out people realistically to win!

My second profile guy has been kicked from many races. May have something to do with his 84/21 win/lose ratio. :D

I recently did a new character my 3rd or 4th race had high level guys. My odds were low (33/1) and they all had large bets on my self so I put 3k on myself the amount of verbal rage and ramming that occurred behind me was insane. I left that group two races later as they all ganged up on me.
However I had now gained 35k from 3 shortish races.
Being a low levelled guy makes it more enjoyable as the mere act of winning is enough for some to rage quit.

On another note someone asked where did they learn to race. Is suspect look at any race game from the mid ps3 gen.
My first ever game was v rally 2 and I've been racing since then.

Ahh GTA V. Good times had with that game:

The clip above was arguably the best race I've had in the game. Starting from the back of a full grid; short course; catch-up off...tfw I crossed the finish line...well, you can imagine :').

Anyway back on point. Naturally you'd have moments where the game just 100% frustrates you but in my opinion it's all part of the Grand Theft Auto Online experience. If it wasn't for those times when you want to just throw the controller out the window your moments of success won't feel as rewarding.

In saying that the game can always do with improvements and they're working on it with the mode where all the cars ghost so you can't get taken out and there's probably more things they're working on to improve your experience online but give RockStar time. This game, for lack of a better description, is game changing so sit back, relax and enjoy the ride!

Cheers and happy hunting,
Louie

P.S. - There's a GTP crew in the R* social club that you can hit up for like minded members to game with.

P.P.S. - If anyone is interested there's a short playlist of my selected GTA Online moments with clips of races, epic moments and a tutorial or two below. Give it a visit if you enjoyed the clip above! https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHWAx8T_mreUymPHCwdvbqet6Hqdz1D8J

IMO, catch-up off races are the easiest to win provided no one crashes into you. Given that you started in the back of the pack, it was easier for you to win. Countless of times I've been spun out at the beginning of the race, since I started on front... :mad:

Back