GTAcademy and Gran Turismo sort of saved me from an accident

sems4arsenal

Nissan Sunny FTW
Premium
Egypt
Cairo, Egypt
GTP_SEMS
Years of gamer like reflexes have finally paid off folks :lol:

The title may seem click-baity but let me walk you through an incident I almost had.

I was driving down the highway doing 120 KPH when suddenly the car in front of me slammed the brakes. Apparently a total dumb 🤬 decided he is going to make that u-turn and literally cut through two lanes perpendicularly. I slammed my brakes as well, but I knew it was too late and braced for an expensive crash. However, an instinct kicked in and instead of just slamming the brakes and hoping for the best, I let off the pedal for a bit and swerved into the small gap between the car infront and the concrete barrier (some moose challenge stuff) and I somehow avoided the car in front (just a very very minor scratch that went away with a towel). The funny thing is, the guy behind me pulled up next to me and applauded the evasive action and gave me a thumbs up.

This is mainly I feel down to the years of gaming with a wheel and the strong reflexes of a gamer and someone who's done some track driving before.

Thought this was a neat story and I'll be interested in hearing other stories where you avoided an incident using lightning fast reflexes you never knew you had.

Oh and I suppose kudos to the Fiesta for having a lovely chassis :lol:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has a story like this.

About five years ago, it snowed/froze over pretty badly where I live. In Southern Oregon, we don't really get a lot of snow or ice, but it really froze over that particular winter.

I had a Microbiology final at the local community college. It's three miles away from my house, so I left a little bit earlier than I usually do to account for the weather. 20 miles an hour on the way there, nice and careful in my Scion xA with the only set of tires I had, a set of all-season tires. I pull into the parking lot, reach over to the passenger seat to pick up my backpack, only to find that it wasn't there. After a few very loud colorful words escape my mouth, I dash out of the parking lot and start heading back home at about 30 miles per hour which felt pretty sketchy on the icy roads. There's a long but gradual right on the way to my house. I hit a patch of ice and my car loses control. I swerve back and forth, desperately trying to keep it from stuffing itself in a ditch, just mentally panicking. There's a small four-way intersection after that right. My drifting instincts from GT5 kick in, and I try to pitch the car so it goes into the road to the right of the intersection. I manage to bring it to a stop sideways across both lanes on the road to the right part of the intersection. I quickly right the car, stay parked at that intersection for about 30 seconds to mentally process what had just happened, and then I slowly make my way back to my house, pick up my backpack, and head back towards the college at 20 miles per hour. I made it to class, but just barely.

And that, boys and girls, is why you don't push it in ice and snow, and you make sure you leave yourself plenty of time to get somewhere.

I drive a medium size box truck for work around Columbus, Ohio. Also known as home of THEE Ohio State Buckeyes, home of 100k college kids, and some of the worst drivers in the country. I see driving stuff constantly that scares me. Saw a car facing the wrong way on the freeway today and an obvious head smash on the windshield, blood splatter and all.

Driving slower and with some space for safety and not staring at a phone would save a lot of people a lot of headaches.

Good job on the evasive action. :cheers:

Did you get a good look at the AI driver that slammed on the brakes.

It was the Arcade Mode AI so I should've seen that coming.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has a story like this.

About five years ago, it snowed/froze over pretty badly where I live. In Southern Oregon, we don't really get a lot of snow or ice, but it really froze over that particular winter.

I had a Microbiology final at the local community college. It's three miles away from my house, so I left a little bit earlier than I usually do to account for the weather. 20 miles an hour on the way there, nice and careful in my Scion xA with the only set of tires I had, a set of all-season tires. I pull into the parking lot, reach over to the passenger seat to pick up my backpack, only to find that it wasn't there. After a few very loud colorful words escape my mouth, I dash out of the parking lot and start heading back home at about 30 miles per hour which felt pretty sketchy on the icy roads. There's a long but gradual right on the way to my house. I hit a patch of ice and my car loses control. I swerve back and forth, desperately trying to keep it from stuffing itself in a ditch, just mentally panicking. There's a small four-way intersection after that right. My drifting instincts from GT5 kick in, and I try to pitch the car so it goes into the road to the right of the intersection. I manage to bring it to a stop sideways across both lanes on the road to the right part of the intersection. I quickly right the car, stay parked at that intersection for about 30 seconds to mentally process what had just happened, and then I slowly make my way back to my house, pick up my backpack, and head back towards the college at 20 miles per hour. I made it to class, but just barely.

And that, boys and girls, is why you don't push it in ice and snow, and you make sure you leave yourself plenty of time to get somewhere.

Oh man, that was scary. Well held :cheers:
I drive a medium size box truck for work around Columbus, Ohio. Also known as home of THEE Ohio State Buckeyes, home of 100k college kids, and some of the worst drivers in the country. I see driving stuff constantly that scares me. Saw a car facing the wrong way on the freeway today and an obvious head smash on the windshield, blood splatter and all.

Driving slower and with some space for safety and not staring at a phone would save a lot of people a lot of headaches.

Good job on the evasive action. :cheers:

There will always be idiots. Thanks man,

Back