GTAuto and the endless button presses. Your thoughts + suggestions.

Argentina
Argentina
Here are some of my thoughts about the UI of GTAuto and some suggestions on how to improve it, I decided to make this... let's call it a rant, after some time spent painting cars, also I had four game crashes in less than an hour so I am a little pissed off right now, every race restart is very dramatic, you never know if the game is going to crash, maybe this is the human drama Kaz was talking about. :D
Well, jokes aside (if you're not laughing, then it wasn't a joke) let's cut to the chase, I've tried my best to explain myself (I am not too good with english.) I've bolded the key points so you don't have to go trough all of it

Something I want to see in GT7 regarding GTauto is to have multiple color palettes for the cars, so you don't have to go back to the main menu, select the dealerships (or car search,) locate the manufacturer from the list, buy the car, go trough the purchase animation, go back to the main menu, get to GTAuto and finally paint the car, for a total of 13 button presses (not counting the directional buttons,) just for the same car in a different color.
But wait! there is more: the seperated sub menus for paints, custom parts, etc, etc. Even in GT5 they were next to each other, another annoying thing is that you have to install custom parts one by one, why don't just add an option to check the parts you want to install and then buy them all at once without having to go trough the exact same animation multiple times? this is just terrible, especially when you change oil and go trough a completely unnecesary animation that serves no purpose at all, the omission of the paint filters from GT5, good luck finding the paint you just acquired in a list of 500+ paints. No paint search options, so you have 1200+ cars and you have to check them one by one to see what colors are available, also the high price of some cars make some of the paints ridicously expensive, and the only thing you want is the paint, not the car, so then you have to go to the garage and clean up "the mess." I think this was said a zillion times, but we need a paint shop and/or a color slider.

What do you guys think about GTAuto? and what kind of changes would you like to see implemented in the future? in my opinion the design took some steps forward and another few steps backwards, I wonder how much time did the guy who created the UI spent testing it's functions, because it's painfully slow.

It looks like you're complaing mostly about GT5 rather than GT6 as far as paints and stuff go. Also there arent really animations in GT6 unless you consider the car being displayed in the GT Auto Garage an animation. I understand what you're saying about the whole animation thing afterwards getting annoying because its slow, but if you were to ask me, I actually kinda like the animation cutscenes from GT5 because it gave you more of a realistic experience of actually owning a car. However, I do know that not everyone likes the animations so I think in GT7 they should either added something in options to turn the feature off or be able to press X to skip the animation while the loading is done in the background rather than during the animation.

I do also agree with when you said that you should be able to choose all of the custom parts you want to put on your car and then purchase. They really need to bring that back.

Liked the OP's little rant; yeah we do need a complete and thorough overhaul of paint system in GT. At least in GT5 paint chips you acquired were sorted by manufacturer so it was slightly easier to locate that one color you stored just for that special ride....but in GT6 it's just an endless scroll up and down......
Overall GT6 GTAuto's lot less interesting than it was in GT5 - although having said that, it does load noticeably quicker. So that's a plus....

It looks like you're complaing mostly about GT5 rather than GT6 as far as paints and stuff go. Also there arent really animations in GT6 unless you consider the car being displayed in the GT Auto Garage an animation. I understand what you're saying about the whole animation thing afterwards getting annoying because its slow, but if you were to ask me, I actually kinda like the animation cutscenes from GT5 because it gave you more of a realistic experience of actually owning a car. However, I do know that not everyone likes the animations so I think in GT7 they should either added something in options to turn the feature off or be able to press X to skip the animation while the loading is done in the background rather than during the animation.

I do also agree with when you said that you should be able to choose all of the custom parts you want to put on your car and then purchase. They really need to bring that back.

I take GT6 GTAuto over GT5 any day, which was very slow, I think that's why the UI in GT6 has a very simplistic artistic design compared to GT5 (likewise, the UI in 5 looks like a toned down version of Prologue,) I suposse that's how they improved the loading times.
but at the same time they removed the much needed paint filters (I had 1500+ paints in GT5,) or the option to install multiple custom parts at once. As for the animations I loved the ones we had in GT5, compared to the ones we have right now (again, maybe they are simple to improve the loading times,) what bugs me is the fact that they get annoying over time, an option to switch them off would be very welcome, as they did with opening movie, also the preview is a huge plus over the one in GT5, I've spent a lot of time painting the cars till I've found the "right" tone of the color, and also there was the fact that you had to quit to the XMB to keep the paints.

I take GT6 GTAuto over GT5 any day, which was very slow, I think that's why the UI in GT6 has a very simplistic artistic design compared to GT5 (likewise, the UI in 5 looks like a toned down version of Prologue,) I suposse that's how they improved the loading times.
but at the same time they removed the much needed paint filters (I had 1500+ paints in GT5,) or the option to install multiple custom parts at once. As for the animations I loved the ones we had in GT5, compared to the ones we have right now (again, maybe they are simple to improve the loading times,) what bugs me is the fact that they get annoying over time, an option to switch them off would be very welcome, as they did with opening movie, also the preview is a huge plus over the one in GT5, I've spent a lot of time painting the cars till I've found the "right" tone of the color, and also there was the fact that you had to quit to the XMB to keep the paints.
I love the UI in GT6 for GT Auto but I didnt really like the fact that it didnt have any animations to see up close how your car looked before and after it was cleaned in car wash. That was my main disapointment with GT6 GT Auto although I didnt mind the animations you saw when you did an engine overhaul and stuff like that. I wasnt too crazy about how long the oil change one was though.

A little off that topic but I just wanted to put out there that i think that not only the custom parts menu should give you the option to choose all your custom parts and then purchase, but you should also be able to do that with the tuning shop. You can choose all the parts you want to put in your car, see the total price of everything and then purchase them all in one shot. I think that it would really cut down on time spent tuning your car.

Liked the OP's little rant; yeah we do need a complete and thorough overhaul of paint system in GT. At least in GT5 paint chips you acquired were sorted by manufacturer so it was slightly easier to locate that one color you stored just for that special ride....but in GT6 it's just an endless scroll up and down......
Overall GT6 GTAuto's lot less interesting than it was in GT5 - although having said that, it does load noticeably quicker. So that's a plus....
I do kinda see what your saying about GT5s paint section because it had more filters to find that one color you wanted easier. They should definitely bring that back in GT7 if they're gonna improve GT Auto at all. Honestly i think PD should learn from Driveclubs paint selection and expand that. PD could have a larger selection of colors though. But i say that because in driveclub you can choose the color you wanted and change the type of paint it was (example: mettalic, matte, etc.). Also since theres vinyls in that game, which is long overdue for GT, you can change the type of paint for each pattern on your car which adds more variety for sure. And one last thing about paint, i think PD should implement an option to use a color wheel so that we can choose any color we can imagine. Plus the ones that we receive from the cars we buy.

I do kinda see what your saying about GT5s paint section because it had more filters to find that one color you wanted easier. They should definitely bring that back in GT7 if they're gonna improve GT Auto at all. Honestly i think PD should learn from Driveclubs paint selection and expand that. PD could have a larger selection of colors though. But i say that because in driveclub you can choose the color you wanted and change the type of paint it was (example: mettalic, matte, etc.). Also since theres vinyls in that game, which is long overdue for GT, you can change the type of paint for each pattern on your car which adds more variety for sure. And one last thing about paint, i think PD should implement an option to use a color wheel so that we can choose any color we can imagine. Plus the ones that we receive from the cars we buy.

..................Also, I would very much dig a system where you can apply paints to individual body parts, like the way it was done in Midnight Club LA. Combine that with decals/livery "applier" plus that color wheel you talk about, methinks we got ourselves a winner. 👍👍

Something that would be nice, and that I think can be done in GT6, is the option to paint the racing stripes or the race liveries of the modded cars (Touring Cars) instead of automatically painting them in black / white depending of the tone of the color you paint them with.

Back