• Poll closed .

Turbo

(Banned)
United States
Elizabeth, New Jersey
1758 HMS Victory nominated by @Lizard

HMS_Victory_2015.jpg

Information:
HMS Victory is a 104-gun first-rate ship of the line of the Royal Navy, ordered in 1758, laid down in 1759 and launched in 1765. She is best known for her role as Lord Nelson's flagship at the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805. She additionally served as Keppel's flagship at Ushant, Howe's flagship at Cape Spartel and Jervis's flagship at Cape St. Vincent. After 1824, she was relegated to the role of harbour ship. In 1922, she was moved to a dry dock at Portsmouth, England and preserved as a museum ship. She has been the flagship of the First Sea Lord since October 2012 and is the world's oldest naval ship still in commission.​

Been on it a few times, can't think of a more miserable existence than being an 18th century sailor.

1758 HMS Victory nominated by @Lizard

She was only well-seasoned because nobody wanted to commission her until they had to. Lots of fire-power but could only bring it to bear when running the line, couldn't turn or shoot as well as a third-rate (by definition) and was used for command for exactly that reason. We had way better ships (such as HMS Pickle) that just don't get the headlines because one of our officers didn't get shot on one :D

Meh.​

I'm voting based on the ship, not the miserable git that had to work on it during its times at sea or those who have to maintain it for tourists and Brits who want a hands on view of their country's history.

So with that in mind, as far as ships go, this is a low cool.

She was only well-seasoned because nobody wanted to commission her until they had to. Lots of fire-power but could only bring it to bear when running the line, couldn't turn or shoot as well as a third-rate (by definition) and was used for command for exactly that reason. We had way better ships (such as HMS Pickle) that just don't get the headlines because one of our officers didn't get shot on one :D

Meh.​
Pickle was only good for ferrying the message of Nelson's death.

Also Victory took a full 40 mins of fire from the French and Spanish before it could fire at Trafalgar.

nice boat

Shame about the unit....only a Brit will get that.

Worked for Horatio? Cool as ****. Guns? Not so cool.

As a piece of history it's cool but it's purpose as a war ship knocks it down a peg for me. If it was a clipper it may have rated higher.

Pickle was only good for ferrying the message of Nelson's death.

She saw much more action than that - small, fast, with a Sting (her original name). I stand by my opinion that she was a far better ship than Victory :)

Latest Posts

Back