• Poll closed .
Antarctica
Controls set for heart of sun
GTP_RogerTheHors
Nominated by @PeterJB

18xx-present Bassoon

DV020_Jpg_Jumbo_462096.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bassoon

Double-reeded tenor woodwind instrument mostly used in orchestras, chamber ensembles, and the odd bit of Jazz and Popular Music. Developed from the Dulcian around the late 17th early 18th century. Reached it's modern appearance and elaborate key work about 100 years ago. Sounds like this:

Oversized flute-saxophone crossover. Makes a good sound, however, and that's what instruments are all about. Meh, but very close to cool.

I force my breath through one of these and it makes nice sounds when I press the buttons. Sub zero. :D

Know a friend who plays one of these. Always impressed by the unique sound it makes, at least compared to her violin.

The bassoon is a quirky instrument, and its players are similarly quirky. You get the impression that they know something you don't.

While the bassoon is a member of the double reed family which is overall pretty uncool, the bassoon is the gentle giant and comes with the added bonus of not being able to kill you due to stupid amounts of back pressure like the oboe. Though, I'd imagine if I attempted to play one it would result in a similar outcome to when I tried to play an oboe - no sound, no matter how hard I blew (and was coached by the oboist it belonged to). It sits in the sweet spot - the oboe above it is definitely uncool, as is the contrabassoon below it.

From this classical musician's perspective, the bassoon is a solid cool.

The bassoon is a quirky instrument, and its players are similarly quirky. You get the impression that they know something you don't.

While the bassoon is a member of the double reed family which is overall pretty uncool, the bassoon is the gentle giant and comes with the added bonus of not being able to kill you due to stupid amounts of back pressure like the oboe. Though, I'd imagine if I attempted to play one it would result in a similar outcome to when I tried to play an oboe - no sound, no matter how hard I blew (and was coached by the oboist it belonged to). It sits in the sweet spot - the oboe above it is definitely uncool, as is the contrabassoon below it.

From this classical musician's perspective, the bassoon is a solid cool.

One of my friends always points out to me that apparently bassoonists die younger because of all the pressure on your head. We do have some, but not nearly as much as oboists. I can get a sound out of an oboe, but rather ironically I couldn't see what keys I was pressing considering they were right in front of my face, not down by my hip.

Meh because of the association it has with classical orchestras and the fact it doesn't run on dinosaur fossils or radioactive materials.

Bugs Bunny makes classical music tres/uber/super cool.

The bassoon? I'll most remember it as the Grandpa in Peter and the Wolf. Not really the coolest thing there is...

A sax will get you more chicks.

Classical music is generally not seen as cool because you (usually) can't dance to it (waltzes don't count), it doesn't have a catchy beat and it has a stigma that only old people listen to it (along with opera). Also, a typical piece is far too long for a typical person's attention span to handle.

For those that actually play classical music, it's pretty much the coolest thing ever.

What classical music is cool? Movie soundtracks. But I don't think anyone can or will argue that, say, Haydn's Symphony No. 92 in G major is cool.

Bugs Bunny makes classical music tres/uber/super cool.

The bassoon? I'll most remember it as the Grandpa in Peter and the Wolf. Not really the coolest thing there is...

A sax will get you more chicks.

The only musical instruments that can get you chicks by themselves are piano, guitar and saxophone. Fact.

Classical music is generally not seen as cool because you (usually) can't dance to it (waltzes don't count), it doesn't have a catchy beat and it has a stigma that only old people listen to it (along with opera). Also, a typical piece is far too long for a typical person's attention span to handle.

For those that actually play classical music, it's pretty much the coolest thing ever.

What classical music is cool? Movie soundtracks. But I don't think anyone can or will argue that, say, Haydn's Symphony No. 92 in G major is cool.

Pretty much all film music is material stolen from inspired by works by Wagner, Tchaikovsky, Shostakovich and Elgar anyway.

Pretty much all film music is material stolen from inspired by works by Wagner, Tchaikovsky, Shostakovich and Elgar anyway.

Don't forget Strauss.

There's a nice little "Be Our Guest" segment in Mahler 3 as well.

Back