• Poll closed .
Antarctica
Controls set for heart of sun
GTP_RogerTheHors
Nominated by @Rage Racer

1940-1958 T-34
1280px-T-34_model_1941_in_Kubinka_Tank_Museum.JPG

USSR
Production: 1940-1944 (T-34), 1941 (T-34-57), 1942-1944 (OT-34), 1944-1958 (T-34-85), 1944-1945 (OT-34-85)
Number built: 84,070 (all mods)
Main armanent: 76.2 mm L-11 or F-34 cannon, or 85 mm ZiS-S-53 cannon (T-34-85 and OT-34-85), or 57 mm ZiS-4 anti-tank gun (T-34-57)
Secondary armanent: two 7.62 mm DT-29 machine guns, or one DT-29 and one ATO-41 flamethrower (OT-34 and OT-34-85)
Armor (front/side/rear), mm: hull - 45/45/40, turret - 45/45/45, T-34-85 turret - 90/75/52
Engine: Kharkov model V-2-34, water-cooled diesel V12 DOHC 38,880cc; 500 hp @ 1800 rpm; 1920 Nm @ 1200 rpm
Weight: 26 tonnes or 32 tonnes (T-34-85)
Chassis: Christie suspension
Max. Speed: 54 km/h
Crew: 4 or 5 (T-34-85)

Wikipedia

Sub Zero because it was damn advanced and effective for it's time period.

The exposed tanks were an issue though.

Hmm... It was an allied tank that helped defeat the Nazis, and Russian military hardware is usually cool...

On the other hand...

Stalin_1902.jpg

Stalin.

Tanks are cool.

I don't get the alternative cool wall.
50% of the nominees comprise of military hardware and vehicles.

Hmm... It was an allied tank that helped defeat the Nazis, and Russian military hardware is usually cool...

On the other hand...

Stalin_1902.jpg

Stalin.

Damn he looks good as hell...

Anyway, I love military stuff, but the thing is, they aren't cool unfourtunately.

Helped the Soviets drive back a massive invasion of their homeland. Plus it operates in Sub-Zero weather.

Not the best tank in the Universe...

But there were so.damn.many of them.

This is the AK47 of tanks.

This 👍

Much better WW2 tanks than the T34... but the Russians were just able to build so many of them.

Cool because it's a tank. But the Panzer was a much better weapon!

On the other hand...

Stalin_1902.jpg

Stalin.
He didn't develop this tank. But, anyway, what's bad about him? ;)
He did make mistakes, but our victory was made by his efforts, too.

As a Finn I can't vote higher than uncool.

Because this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_War
:D Niet, Molotoff! I understand...
But T-34 wasn't used in that war, the Red Army had T-28 as their medium tank.

This 👍

Much better WW2 tanks than the T34... but the Russians were just able to build so many of them.

Cool because it's a tank. But the Panzer was a much better weapon!
Depending on which Panzer you're talking about. Early Pz III and IV could not even penetrate the T-34's armor in most cases. The late Pz IV's (Ausf. F2, G and H), Tigers and Panthers were a lot better, but they were badly outnumbered.

On the topic: Sub-Zero. In the beginning of war, it was very powerful and could hold almost any gunfire from Wehrmacht troops, but they suffered poor commanding and supply. But later, T-34's could seriously kick ass if used properly. Cheap in production and easy to maintain = could be applied massively on the frontline. The main constructor of T-34 - Mikhail Koshkin - used to say: "Even a fool can design complex things!"

Also, my favorite battle machine in War Thunder. Gotta unlock both T-34-85 versions and I'll collect all of them. :cool:

Depending on which Panzer you're talking about. Early Pz III and IV could not even penetrate the T-34's armor in most cases. The late Pz IV's (Ausf. F2, G and H), Tigers and Panthers were a lot better, but they were badly outnumbered.

Sorry, I meant the Tiger!

In general, tanks are cool, but old tanks are rather primitive. Old tanks aren't cool like old cars are cool. This one gets a low cool from me.

Tanks are cool in nature so naturally this particular tank with its history is also cool, but as a machine of death I don't think I can offer a Sub Zero vote for it or any other tank. Machine-wise it is an awesome bit of tech (for the time) but the fact that this thing is built for the destruction of fellow human beings takes a lot of brownie points away from it in my view.

It's a tank for a start, and as said before it's the AK-47 of tanks which makes it even cooler, Sub Zero.

I'm gonna go the person-hugger hippy route and say that instruments of war should never be considered cool.

......and yet there is still some of my childhood which lingers in me and always will......... TANKS! WEEEEE!

The T-34 was an incredible weapon and piece of engineering. Made of crap, were badly finished but would always start, were easy to maintain and the Russians banged them out by the bucket load. So successful in fact that they were used for decades after the war. Sure there were better tanks during WWII, but later Panzers were also better than the Shermans and look what happened there!

However, having said that, when you see a King Tiger or a Panther in the flesh you do get shivers from the shear engineering brilliance and imposing presence which takes the shine off the T-34 and Shermans a little. Therefore it's a Cool from me rather than a Sub-Zero. :)

Russian military hardware is generally cool.

Let's ignore the Tsar tank.

Back