Controls set for heart of sun
GTP_RogerTheHors
Nominated by @Legro

1956- Present Karting as a hobby

View attachment 242538

Type:
Open-wheel Motorsport
Country of origin: United States of America
Additional facts: One of cheapest forms of Motorsport. Gained large following in Italy after very short time.​

Karting would be sub-cool once some folks get together and have a race while being armed with paintball guns. Obviously other safety-based changes will need to take place to avoid any serious injuries, but other than that: :D

Motorsport isn't cool.

Do you care to back up your claim, which was interestingly stated on a website that wouldn't exist without motorsport?

While I disagree with yet understand the opinion of racecars being uncool since they aren't road-legal and are usually covered in sponsors, I can't see why motorsport itself would be uncool especially since you gave a grand total of zero (0) reasons why it's uncool.

I joined a karting team funded by the state's sports minister, we practiced in empty parking lots, but everything went down because only 5 states could fund a team.

It was great driving the karts, though

Going for a cool :)

Fun to do on a weekend when there's nothing else to do. Cool.
Heck, even when there is something else to do, I'd probably do this instead! :D
-
Pretty much what everyone already said. It's exhilarating, cheap, fairly easy, and cheap! Cool.

I wouldn't say Senna's lifetime beginnings; the one he calls the most fun of his entire racing life, to be uncool in any way.

As much as I like karting, I wouldn't say it's exactly a cool hobby as you're not likely to pick up any women from doing it.

Do you care to back up your claim, which was interestingly stated on a website that wouldn't exist without motorsport?

While I disagree with yet understand the opinion of racecars being uncool since they aren't road-legal and are usually covered in sponsors, I can't see why motorsport itself would be uncool especially since you gave a grand total of zero (0) reasons why it's uncool.

Granted I didn't make the post you are responding to, I do however share his opinion for a couple of reasons. One, it's insanely expensive, even at the kart level(unless you just do the arrive and drive thing) and anything where having a good chunk of money is needed is just not cool. Secondly, a good chunk of the fans are very unpleasant to both other fans and non-fans.

Both of those things have pretty much made it so that I don't even say I'm into racing as it's just not a cool thing to be into.

Also, this is a forum, people are going to have opinions that differ from yours, especially in a thread where it's sole purpose is asking your opinion on certain things.

Last edited:
Both of those things have pretty much made it so that I don't even say I'm into racing as it's just not a cool thing to be into.

You avoid telling people you're into racing because you're afraid they'll think you're uncool?

Also, this is a forum, people are going to have opinions that differ from yours, especially in a thread where it's sole purpose is asking your opinion on certain things.

I of all people know that.

You avoid telling people you're into racing because you're afraid they'll think you're uncool?
I know, that I am.

"Wasting nature's resourses", "All they do is go around circles", "It's not even a real sport" "🤬 off *insert my first name*". And that's just small portion of all the things I've heard when I start to talk about motorsport.

I don't care what people think of me, it's more along the lines of these things...

I know, that I am.

"Wasting nature's resourses", "All they do is go around circles", "It's not even a real sport" "🤬 off *insert my first name*". And that's just small portion of all the things I've heard when I start to talk about motorsport.

Oh don't forget that all you do is sit down and turn a wheel. Also F1 is for rich snobby kids. Nascer is for dumb rednecks. Rally is swarming with extreme marketing dudebros. Drifting is cringeworthy.

Oh don't forget that all you do is sit down and turn a wheel. Also F1 is for rich snobby kids. Nascer is for dumb rednecks. Rally is swarming with extreme marketing dudebros. Drifting is cringeworthy.

You just verbally rekt the whole motorsport calender.

:lol:

Far more accessible than most other motorsports, but still largely the reserve of rich kids and those whose parents want their kids to make up for their failures.
The story of my life. No matter where I race now, there is at least 5 kids who have parents who spend over $2,500AUD a race meet on engines, tyres, etc. There was actually a kid who had 3 karts to choose from just for one class at a domestic meeting, then he had to choose from 5 engines. Just insane really.

I know, that I am.

That's all I get as well when I mention anything Motorsport, just pathetic, ignorant and stupid really. Then when it comes to backing up their claim, they can't. That'll always be the problem with Motorsport.

Wow. Seems like you know what you're talking about... not.

As much as I like karting, I wouldn't say it's exactly a cool hobby as you're not likely to pick up any women from doing it.
:lol: Well your not guaranteed but I've seen it and experienced it happening! ;)

One, it's insanely expensive, even at the kart level(unless you just do the arrive and drive thing) and anything where having a good chunk of money is needed is just not cool. Secondly, a good chunk of the fans are very unpleasant to both other fans and non-fans.

This wont help my sport of karting and certainly doesn't look good coming from the Vice-President of Karting QLD's son but it must be said;
I'll agree, karting is terribly expensive, depending on what you want to achieve;
If you just want to race at your local club and practice when you want, it is affordable, but little niggly bits like kart parts may add up if you break things... a lot.

If you travel around to race but don't spend much money on your kart, it is a bit more expensive, but it depends how you manage it. That's my situation, we travel a lot, but due to that, we spend very little money on the kart, so we are already at a disadvantage, but with my growing talent, I'm slowly closing the gap between small budget racing and those who spend mega dollars.

I'll admit, if you want to be the best, you need to spend a lot of money, but as I just said, if you have talent and you try your absolute hardest, with only a little bit of money, you can match it with the best. It takes time, I'm starting my 7th year in karts next year, but my 4th in racing across the state, and I'm just getting there now.

Sponsors are a massive boost, I recently got 2 sponsors on board and that has helped massively. Sponsors are essential in racing karts at a national level.

The spectators, ill admit that there are a few dodgey ones, but I've had a few that genuinely come ask about the sport. It just depends in where you are.

Even though I know Motorsport isn't the coolest thing to be into, I still proudly talk about and when I get the chance, try to get them into it.

I know Karting Australia is making strides to change the money game with engines you cannot do anything to and have unmeasurable parity so, trust me, in a few years, karting will be money-free & politics free, like it was in Senna's day.

Pro-tip: when calling someone out for something they said, you probably don't want to pair it off with a claim that is impossible to back-up on your own.

I did- I said karting was cheap motorsport, thus cool, and as other have stated here, saving money is cool. While karting compared to other activities isn't cheap, compared to other motorsports it is cheap, and cool as a result.

Not impossible.

I wanted to vote cool because I do karting as a small hobby.

However when you say racing, people think that's really cool. "What kind of racing do you do?" "Oh I drive karts." "Oh, like Six Flags?" Having to explain something isn't the coolest thing around, unless you can do it well.

Still cool though. :P

Back