• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Turbo

(Banned)
United States
Elizabeth, New Jersey
1964-1966 Thunderbirds nominated by @AudiMan2011

Information:
Thunderbirds is a British science-fiction television series created by Gerry and Sylvia Anderson filmed by their production company AP Films (APF) and distributed by ITC Entertainment. It was produced between 1964 and 1966 using a form of electronic marionette puppetry (dubbed "Supermarionation") combined with scale model special effects sequences. Two series were filmed, comprising a total of 32 episodes. Production ceased after Lew Grade, the Andersons' financial backer, failed in his efforts to sell the programme to American network television.​

Wait that was a 60s thing? My god.

It's been repeated on kids TV ad infinitum. Or certainly was during the late 70's and 80's.

Hilariously, the sight of the puppets, or marionettes as they were referred to as, can still literally bring tears to my wife's eyes - so they're cool for that reason alone. 👍

Never heard of 'em.

When I saw the thread title I thought it referred to the '64-'66 Ford Thunderbird. Which was kind of meh, well on its way from a somewhat sportyish vehicle to an overweight luxury barge.

Super cool, but slightly less so than Stingray.

Hands up who made a Blue Peter Tracy Island out of household junk?

Just watching the movie on TV right now. God it's dire. SU.

Hank Marvin and The Shadows were alright, I lost it at Cliff Richard.

Never heard of 'em.

When I saw the thread title I thought it referred to the '64-'66 Ford Thunderbird. Which was kind of meh, well on its way from a somewhat sportyish vehicle to an overweight luxury barge.

Nearly the same for me. I though USAF demo team, though I wondered what would be significant from 64-66. It turns out that the very brief use of the F-105 happened during this time, though that ended with a disastrous crash. The remainder of the period was spent flying F-100's, a neat looking plane.

Thunderbirds isn't cool. It's even less cool if the tale is true about the Thunderbird 2 toy being designed to break so that people would have to buy replacement toys.

failed in his efforts to sell the programme to American network television.

Wait, wat? My dad talked about watching this all the time when he was growing up, and got me into it when I was really young. We bought the box set of all the episodes. Wouldn't mind watching them again.

I'll give it a cool. Even if its mostly nostalgia fuelled.

Back