GTP Alternative Cool Wall: 1966 Eric Clapton Gibson SG "The Fool" Electric Guitar

1966 Eric Clapton Gibson SG "The Fool" Electric Guitar

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Antarctica
Controls set for heart of sun
GTP_RogerTheHors
Nominated by @AlvaroF

Eric Clapton's Gibson SG "The Fool" Guitar

GIB_foolguitar.jpg

This isn't your regular Gibson SG (argued as one of the best guitars ever). This particularly designed guitar was used by Eric Clapton in it's early career with the band Cream and it represented the Psychadelic era of rock. Eric Clapton himself said that this design is his "psychadelic fantasy"

The Gibson SG was a redesigned Gibson Les Paul (and labeled as one too, but Les Paul himself refused the redesign, so the had to rename it) to be lighter and have a faster neck without changing it's layout, and that way not losing any of it's sound.

Used: Eric Clapton (1966-1969)
Artist: The Fool Design Collective from The Netherlands
Body type: Solid body
Neck joint: Set-in (bolt-on on cheaper models)
Body and neck: Mahogany, birch laminate and maple
Fretboard: Rosewood, ebony, maple
Hardware (pictured): Gibson Vibrato (the '64 might have used an Hardtail (Tune-O-Matic)) and 2 P-90's (The P-90's reissued in '68, so the '64 probably used 1, 2 or 3 humbuckers)

Note: The guitar pictured is a replica. We're rating the coolness of the original, but there are too many replicas to filter the original '64 SG.​
[/CENTER]

It's a guitar. Who cares?

Uncool

That's what the Alternative wall is for, don't you have to go complain about 9gag or something? ;)

My take it's uncool, I was generous and didn't get if SU, I never understood why Guitarist want to play remakes of a famous guitar that is worth far more and doesn't seem cheap when playing for a crowd. I mean you can get an SG and customize it to fit you and be unlike others for less than this guitar.

As a guy that's been playing guitars for the past 8 years I just never understood owning and paying the ridiculous price for an artist signature.

This is a guitar used by some racist guy to promote the idea that drugs are great, if I am not mistaken?

Way to ruin a great guitar.

First I leave this here:

Then, I think (that's the reason I nominated it), despite what @LMSCorvetteGT2 said (and you are indeed right), this guitar is sub-zero, because, although shady, the era of psychadelic rock was indeed great. It gave us great music and this guitar represents that era more than drugs (in my point of view). All topped by one of the coolest guitars around, the SG

First I leave this here:

Then, I think (that's the reason I nominated it), despite what @LMSCorvetteGT2 said (and you are indeed right), this guitar is sub-zero, because, although shady, the era of psychadelic rock was indeed great. It gave us great music and this guitar represents that era more than drugs (in my point of view). All topped by one of the coolest guitars around, the SG

Yes but the guitar wasn't what gave us it it was the people. I figured this was the reason why, and though great it' could be played on any guitar in Clapton or any good guitarists hands. Seems like a nostalgia piece really from your reasoning.

Though I can't blame you for liking it, great song too.

Oh, hey, look at that, Wikipedia says he made racist comments. It had to do with immigration policies or something, but he said he never considered himself racist and never judged someone by their skin color.

At any rate, I still love his guitar playing.

Yes but the guitar wasn't what gave us it it was the people. I figured this was the reason why, and though great it' could be played on any guitar in Clapton or any good guitarists hands. Seems like a nostalgia piece really from your reasoning.

Though I can't blame you for liking it, great song too.

Because it is. Most of the people that gave us this music (and some legends, by that) died because of the drugs or they start to became old. Yet this guitar will live on as the vision of the psychadelic era. And I think it's beautiful and a work of art

And I also agree what you're saying. But my love for it also blinds me a bit :P

Cool. The design might be weird now. But back in the late 60s - early 70s this was the norm. It's like some weird art form, used on a great guitar, used for a great genre of music.

Love the SG as a guitar and Clapton, but the design drops it to a meh.

I'll give it a cool. Clapton was in his prime in Cream and even though I prefer him with a proper Les Paul, he can make an SG scream too. I really can't stand Clapton after Derek and the Dominos though, I think his solo career is pretty terrible.

Just look at it... it's so insanely hideous it's breathtaking. It's the guitar equivalent of that horrible nyancat Ferrari 458 I keep hearing about. It's something great that has been ruined.

Very low uncool. The popularity of it's user saves it from seriously uncool.

If Clapton played it it would be cool. if i played it it would be uncool. Therefore uncool.

Never liked the SG, never liked this type of paint on a guitar. Meh on Clapton. Sum = Uncool

Back