Antarctica
Controls set for heart of sun
GTP_RogerTheHors
Nominated by @Wiegert

The Principality of Sealand

119-12.jpg

Capital: HM Fort Roughs
Official languages: English
Population: 50 (permanent population fluctuates depending on work going on at the time)
Monarch: Prince Michael, House of Bates
Established: 2nd September 1967
Area: 0.025 km2 (0 sq mi)
Known for: Fires, rebellions, passport revocation, having a better football team than Alderney

600px-Map_of_Sealand_with_territorial_waters.svg.png

Oh, that was this? I read "Sealand" the other day and thought it was a New Zealand typo.

Unrecognized micronations are usually a joke because the land they lay claim to is within a real country's land. That's not really the case here... the fact that they are in the ocean makes them Sub-Zero.

A (surprisingly thriving) nation in the middle of the sea. Was actually invaded by German and Dutch businessmen in 1978 - and they were were forced to retreat!

Sub-zero. Would visit someday.

Last edited:
Not just a micronation, but one with remarkably dramatic history. Though it's almost unbelievably silly how and why the 1978 attack was instigated and thwarted. All for the chance to rule an ageing sea fort near Felixstowe.

Cool because entertainingly audacious fun size country.

Seriously uncool because what the hell was the UK government thinking just donating sovereign territory to another person and declaring them an independent state in the court of law when there was no real need for it?

I am a bit of a realist so this comes across as stupid to me.

Although on the other hand it did remove all responsibility to do with an outdated fort. When the invading businessmen got captured we could legitimately refuse to send our soldiers to rescue them.

Last edited:
So, is this the fabled Middle Zealand? It's obviously not New Zealand, and not the old Zealand... since it isn't Danish...

Oh, and bonus points for being ruled over by the Master of Bates.

:D

Old Zealand, bizarrely, is not the Danish island of Zealand and actually the Dutch province of Zeeland (literally Sealand!).

Back