Original Manufacturer: Honda Motor Company
Machine Typical Layouts: 3 and 4 Wheels
Trails: Millions of Miles
Trail Type: Public and Private
Terrain: Anything you can imagine
Drivetrains: 2WD, 4WD (model depending)
Engines: 50cc-500cc 2 Strokes, 50cc-1000cc 4 Strokes
Horsepower: 3.5-100
Transmission Layouts: Manual (with Clutch), Semi Auto, Automatic or High/Low Range
Top Speeds: Model Depending, 87mph stock, tyically for a 200-25cc about 55-60mph
Suspension: Live/Solid Rear Axle, Independent Rear Suspension, Front Forks, Independent Front Suspension
Final Drive: Chain, Driveshaft (model dependant)
Weight: 45-453 Kilograms (100-1000 Loobs)

You can pretty much go anywhere with these things,and have fun with them. It's fun to hit trails with friends and see the sights, and the different terrains and styles can be made into anything you want; and you can even race these things.

As a fan off all thing bike-like I have to say they're cool. The only thing keeping them from a better vote is the extra wheel(s). ;)

Ridden quads but not trike but either way they're fun machines. Pretty much a luxury unless you're a farmer or race them professionally though. I like the relative simplicity of them and that they do Raid which is one of my favourite types of Motorsport.

Beware anyone voting less than cool: you may end up on @Slash's ignore list. :)

I did a spot of quad riding with some of my class on an activities day at an outdoor centre. I had fun with it and really liked it.

Cool.

I enjoyed the few times I've done it.

If only they were less noisy so the neighbors don't complain, I've got a perfect spot to ride around on.

I prefer two wheels, but quads can be a lot of fun too. It's just that they're more dangerous.
Something that can't stand up by itself and requires you to balance it seems more dangerous to me :P

My focus was on ATV's, as I don't know much about ATC's. And far more people use ATV's (well here in NZ, at least).
The big 4x4 variants can weigh as much as 1,000lbs but most of the sports ones are easily 1/4 of that or less.

The big 4x4 variants can weigh as much as 1,000lbs but most of the sports ones are easily 1/4 of that or less.

But still heavier :P, and if a quad rolls over, it's more likely to land on you because on an ATV, your legs can only really go upwards or outwards (ouch). On a motorbike, your legs have somewhere to go, and the bike isn't likely to land on any other part of you in most cases because it's smaller (though still possible). And there's always the sense of security people feel when riding ATVs that it won't roll because it has four wheels, so they feel over confident and do stupid things.

And an ATV is more likely to be a problem while rolling, as when you turn a motorbike, you lean the entire bike inwards to get through the turn because the bike is so much taller than it is wide. Similar (but not to the same extent) applies to an ATV, but only the rider can lean in on an ATV. And on an ATV there are four contact points with the ground, meaning more points to consider.

Though sport ATV's aren't overly heavy, you're right. Between a Yamaha YFZ450 ATV, and a WR450 bike, there's only about 30KG's (though that's still quite a bit considering the WR450 is around 110-120KG. And as I said before, I can't comment on ATC's, as I don't know much about them. And none of this would put me off using either an ATC, or an ATV (I mean, I use an ATV semi-frequently).

Note: I should really stop starting sentences with "and." Nearly every sentence here starts with it.

Sub Zero, I have two 4x4 quads myself and they're every bit as much fun as a dirt bike. A bit less tiring over the course of a day too, I can lean back and have a nap on my quad also if I felt like it.

OOOPPS !! just noticed I missed the polling :ouch:

But still heavier :P, and if a quad rolls over, it's more likely to land on you because on an ATV, your legs can only really go upwards or outwards (ouch). On a motorbike, your legs have somewhere to go, and the bike isn't likely to land on any other part of you in most cases because it's smaller (though still possible). And there's always the sense of security people feel when riding ATVs that it won't roll because it has four wheels, so they feel over confident and do stupid things.

And an ATV is more likely to be a problem while rolling, as when you turn a motorbike, you lean the entire bike inwards to get through the turn because the bike is so much taller than it is wide. Similar (but not to the same extent) applies to an ATV, but only the rider can lean in on an ATV. And on an ATV there are four contact points with the ground, meaning more points to consider.

Though sport ATV's aren't overly heavy, you're right. Between a Yamaha YFZ450 ATV, and a WR450 bike, there's only about 30KG's (though that's still quite a bit considering the WR450 is around 110-120KG. And as I said before, I can't comment on ATC's, as I don't know much about them. And none of this would put me off using either an ATC, or an ATV (I mean, I use an ATV semi-frequently).

Note: I should really stop starting sentences with "and." Nearly every sentence here starts with it.
ATC's are entirely different animals than ATV's, totally in their own league and not comparable at all. But I totally see what you are saying. YFZ450's are fun though :D

ATC's are entirely different animals than ATV's, totally in their own league and not comparable at all. But I totally see what you are saying. YFZ450's are fun though :D

That was the case I guessed with the ATC's. Removing a wheel is always going to make a big difference.

That was the case I guessed with the ATC's. Removing a wheel is always going to make a big difference.
More difference than I think a lot of people realize. The handling is entirely different, different weight distribution, typically lower center of gravity, much less weight, faster acceleration, sharper turning radius etc. Most of them only weigh 30-60lbs more than the typical bike since they are technically built on a bike frame.

Are ATCs three wheelers? Not sure about the difference.

As an ATV technician I have to say they are a lot of fun to ride, even the normal, farmer spec utility ones.

Back