Antarctica
Controls set for heart of sun
GTP_RogerTheHors
Nominated by @Liquid

1990-2003 Series E £5 Banknote

omOR3Cz.jpg

787smoM.jpg

Obverse:
Roger Withington portrait of Queen Elizabeth II.
Reverse: George Stephenson, railway pioneer of Rocket, Planet and Novelty fame.
Colours: Mix of blue, green, pink and violet
In Circulation: Illegally. No longer legal tender nor legal currency but continues to circulate in very limited numbers as a 'counterfeit'.
Security Features: Magnetic strip, hologram, raised lettering.
Value: Five pounds sterling; all former banknotes can be exchanged for their face value current equivalents at the Bank of England. Sells for more on the numismatic market; this excellent condition specimen cost @Liquid €25.​

Why this series banknote in particular over just the £5 note?

It's cool because it is the backbone of payment over here and it fits in nicely with buying a pint or lunch. It's the most used note in the UK and often the most grubbiest when you get one :yuck:

This ones design is not as great as the earlier £5 notes IMO.

@Roger the Horse Wrong series letter in the thread title/poll.

This ones design is not as great as the earlier £5 notes IMO.

Series Ds probably would have looked better with a splash of green. Not to mention this one's got Stevenson gracing the back, which is cool.

No guarantee you'll be able to withdraw any at a cash machine, typical bus fare and 3am kebab money? SU.

Wow, how long have I been out on the UK? I'm sure I had one of those when I was last there. Actually, I think I probably still have a few tucked into the pockets of some old jeans at my mum's house.

As far as voting goes I'm going to settle with 'Meh'. It's GBP which I think are cool because they're valuable but money is also a hellish necessity of a device that I despise yet could not live without.

If @Liquid stumped up £25 for one note I think it's time I called my ma and got her to rummage through some of my old stuff to see if any are hidden there.

Series Ds probably would have looked better with a splash of green. Not to mention this one's got Stevenson gracing the back, which is cool.

No guarantee you'll be able to withdraw any at a cash machine, typical bus fare and 3am kebab money? SU.

I think this run was the best (not sure of the year), purple/navy tinge and Elizabeth back in the day!

Britis1.jpg

I thought these were still current. :lol: Well they were when I left the UK. As this is not legal tender anymore I guess we're judging it's coolness on it's design and/or importance in people's lives when it was. In which case it's a meh. For me the SZ notes would be the really old stuff.

Yeah, but everything has a value.

Jeez, £200 for a One Direction ticket is just depressing, but it's worth that to someone... unfortunately. ;)

Why this series banknote in particular over just the £5 note?

It's right, right, right up there as one of my favourite banknote designs. Having one in person, in excellent condition, really demonstrates how great the violets and greens blend together. I really like the Stephenson caricature too.

Agreed. The Series D £1 note (Newton) was green, as was the Series A (1928-48, 1948-60) £1 which I also have in excellent condition and looks brilliant. British greens are complimented better than their USD counterparts; I've never felt the yellow hues on USDs look nice with their greens.

But on those rare occasions you do find a cash point which dishes out fivers... Barclays in Bangor, the Post Office in Connah's Quay and one which escapes me in Chester have at points in time.

Seriously uncool. It's not a tenner.

Tenners don't have nice designs.

---

As for voting? Well this is an old British banknote. Money collecting, coins and banknotes, is my hobby as you might know. Hobbies aren't cool. Aside from any facetious remarks about greed, collecting money, especially old money, unlocks many interesting stories and is a great way into history and a history all of its own. But cool? Not a chance.

Seriously Uncool

Last edited:
These would most definitely screw up the vending machines here, preventing my from purchasing my soda or salty/sweet snack.

SU.

These would most definitely screw up the vending machines here, preventing my from purchasing my soda or salty/sweet snack.
That goes both ways. Trying to pass an US dollar at a shop here, would make anyone look like an arrogant over-patriotic American (that isn't a good thing, especially outside US).

That goes both ways. Trying to pass an US dollar at a shop here, would make anyone look like an arrogant over-patriotic American (that isn't a good thing, especially outside US).

K.

I only mentioned vending machines, and it was a joke. :rolleyes:

Makes me think about money in general, the concept and value we place on it despite it being a self-sustaining concept and the source of a lot of the world's evils. And then makes me annoyed that there are people who have more of it than I do.

Uncool.

Back