• Poll closed .
Antarctica
Controls set for heart of sun
GTP_RogerTheHors
Nominated by @Technicolors

Steam by Valve: 2003 - Present

Steam_Icon_2014.png

Created: Valve Corporation
Purposes: Content delivery, digital game/software distribution, social networking platform
Engine: Steam sales, Gabe Newell, PC gaming, Steam sales

Uncool.

Necessary evil describes it best, I think. And still the lesser evil compared to Uplay and Origin. The Steam sales keep it from getting the SU vote DRM deserves, at least.

I love it, You can play source games on mac and linux.
2 platforms companies like EA think dont exist.

Games are cheaper than retail

VAC on source games

Sub-0.

Introduced gaming to Early Access, Greenlight allowed some of the worst games since ET on Atari 2600 to exist, then there's the sales, with people spending money on games they don't particularly need which end up in backlogs of varying degrees.

Seriously Uncool.

Uncool.

Necessary evil describes it best, I think. And still the lesser evil compared to Uplay and Origin. The Steam sales keep it from getting the SU vote DRM deserves, at least.
Am I the only one who likes Origin more? Sure, the sales aren't as good as Steam, but I find it much nicer to use and EA's customer service is miles better than Valve's.

Am I the only one who likes Origin more? Sure, the sales aren't as good as Steam, but I find it much nicer to use and EA's customer service is miles better than Valve's.
It's EA only. Being EA only = being utter crap in my book.

I guess you could say that I dislike EA a little.

Plus:
Wikipedia
According to reports in German newspapers, the German version of Origin's EULA violates several German laws, mainly laws protecting consumers and users' privacy. According to Thomas Hoeren, a judge and professor for information, telecommunication and media law at the University of Münster, the German version of the EULA is a direct translation of the original without any modifications and its clauses are "null and void".

The only people I can imagine using it are nerds yelling "PC master race" to people on the internet. Seriously uncool.
Well, almost anyone who's gaming on a PC is using it because you largely have to use it... Unless you're a pirate, of course. In that case: Yarr.

Well, almost anyone who's gaming on a PC is using it because you largely have to use it... Unless you're a pirate, of course. In that case: Yarr.
Proper PC gaming, not counting browser based gaming, is almost always serious gaming, which from my experience is never cool.

I like the convenience that I can take my Steam account to any future computer to re-download games instead relying on keeping copies on the computer or optical discs.

Steam Community is pretty cool, though I have never dove into it.

The structure itself is a smart business move. When you eliminate the cost for producing physical copies (box, art and manual), and when creating a digital copy costs virtually nothing (that's why you can have such huge steam sale discounts), this is a sustainable business model we can continue to use for the next little while.

I've been able to pick up some of my favorite games very cheaply, been able to pick up some games I just wanted to try out for very little too. We pay anything from $60-100 for 1 Playstation game down here, so that fact I can get 5-6 games for the same price on Steam makes it a cool from me.

PC Gaming master race, the cake is a lie, Volvo give diretide, hat simulator 2010, praise lord Gaben our saviour, steam sales (shut up and take my money!), Half Life 3 confirmed.

Seriously uncool.

Simply a great idea made possible by modern technology. It's not fair to judge it based on bad games sold on it.

Sub-Zero.

The only thing better than Steam is GMG where you can get 20% off all the time. But Steam as a content delivery service is outstanding. Remember when you had to buy discs and do serial numbers and keys and all that? Eww.

Then again, early Steam was kind of a **** show. They've come along well.

Back