GTP Alternative Cool Wall: 2010-present GTPlanet vs Wham!

2010-present GTPlanet vs Wham!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Antarctica
Controls set for heart of sun
GTP_RogerTheHors
Nominated by @Naveek Darkroom

2010-present GTP vs. Wham!

View attachment 280159
Body style: Competition/game
Engine: The main thread, the rest of these forums, anywhere really
Power: Some sort
Torque: Depends
Weight: Heavy emotions, I think
Transmission: Mainly through sound waves (The song anyway)
Drivetrain: Mid engine, all insanity drive
0-60: I'm not sure how many participants there are on average. But 60 seems possible.

Well, I guess you could get Whammed while driving. But I don't know if you would get driven insane. Though you could go insane while driving.

Description: A competition/game held from November to December on this very website annually since 2010, where participants try and avoid hearing the song Last Christmas by pop group Wham! before the New Year rolls around. Seems to get quite dramatic and crazy, among other adjectives. Though if you've participated before, you should already know how things go down in it. Apparently, it's based on a similar game on a German forum. That's what I've heard anyway.

Oh hey, my nomination's up!

I'm going with Sub-Zero. This game can get quite entertaining to watch, even if on your side, risk of getting Whammed is low. On my inaugural run last year, I fell victim to the Jordan trap.

A group of grown men on a gaming site avoiding an admittedly bad song during a holiday period for the purpose of a challenge. God, help us!

I accidentally voted 'meh, because I was distracted but I meant to vote SU. Now I feel dirty.

I think it's actually so uncool that it circumnavigated the world backwards and came to rest at sub-zero.

In any case, I voted sub-zero. Because avoiding that song is always sub-zero.

I became SomeBastardDude.

I infracted warning points for the first time.

I gave Kickstarter ideas.

I unintentionally said things that broke families.

I jinxed the great Red JorDawn.

I started listening to the song from January 2nd to today, and is still in my phone.

Last edited:
I never, ever heard this version of this song before clicking on the YouTube vid in one of the threads one year, and never heard it again until this past holiday season. That was only because I was working a job where we listened to the radio all night five nights a week, and over all that time, it only played once. So the concept makes little sense to me.

It was funny, then it became hard due to family members finding out about it and deliberately catching me out. Then the joke ran thin, but it's now gone past it's joke 'event horizon' and has become funny because... well, just because it's funny. It's an SZ for the idea, but now it's hanging around the Cool level for me.

When you're desperately trying to avoid a song from the 80s, locking yourself in your room, only going out when it's absolutely necessary, you can say that you know this game.

Seriously uncool.

It was funny, then it became hard due to family members finding out about it and deliberately catching me out. Then the joke ran thin, but it's now gone past it's joke 'event horizon' and has become funny because... well, just because it's funny. It's an SZ for the idea, but now it's hanging around the Cool level for me.
It went thin because people overdid it, the thread turned into GTPlanet vs. Slowchat and it almost ran itself into the ground with "omg still safe/imma wham Ken/lolol Jordon whamed us." I went home after work once to find 5 pages to go through. I'm quite surprised the mods kept the thread open.

The problem is what you do with it. If the song was changed would it work as well? Probably not, as the joke has always been the song itself (plus trying to avoid it).

Probably not since it's been about avoiding Wham for the past 6 or so years. Changing it to something like Mariah Carey would be refreshing, but would it be as recognisable as Last Christmas? Are there as many covers?

Oh, and then there was 'GTP vs. Frozen' which didn't work after a day or two.

Still cool for that I can play the game without people knowing that I participate. Even though last time I was out before joining the fun.

Run by @Daniel.

Uncool.
giphy.gif

I became SomeBastardDude.

I infracted warning points for the first time.

I gave Kickstarter ideas.

I unintentionally said things that broke families.

I jinxed the great Red JorDawn.

I started listening to the song from January 2nd to today, and is still in my phone.
What does this have to do with anything related to the OP?

Latest Posts

Back