• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Turbo

(Banned)
United States
Elizabeth, New Jersey
2500 BC -present Obelisks nominated by @Obelisk

Louxor_obelisk_Paris_dsc00780.jpg

Information: An obelisk is a tall, four-sided, narrow tapering monument which ends in a pyramid-like shape or pyramidion at the top. These were originally called "tekhenu" by their builders, the Ancient Egyptians. The Greeks who saw them used the Greek 'obeliskos' to describe them, and this word passed into Latin and ultimately English. Ancient obelisks are monolithic; that is, they consist of a single stone. Apart from its shape, this is the major identifying characteristic of an obelisk, as it necessitates the technological ingenuity required to elevate into vertical position a massive rock weighing hundreds of tonnes.​

Last edited:
Very cool looking structures, I'd be really interested in seeing one in person.

Last edited:
Just a minor correction on the date. Obelisks are much older than 250 BCE, some of the older ones date back to 2500 BCE or earlier.

Trust me, I used to be an archaeologist :P

I have to say meh, cause while the cultures they come from all in all are pretty cool with the significant artifacts, I never understood nor saw the deeper purpose to an obleisk other than what @TheCracker suggested above. I mean when I look at a sarcophagus and its intricate work and meaning, I think cool, when I see this I'm confused but want to call it cool for some unknown reason. So I settle at meh.

Cool because they're falic. Throughout history mankind has erected (lol) monuments such as obelisks to show their prowess as a civilisation.

Also the character from the French comic who shares the name is pretty cool.

They're just big, public dicks. Which is cool.

Back