Elizabeth, New Jersey
A7V Tank, "Mephisto" nominated by @Obelisk

mephisto_a7v_in_awm-jpg.653861

Built:
Unknown
Inventor: Joseph Vollmer
Captured: 24 April 1918
Located: On display in the Austrian War Museum
Info: Mephisto is the only surviving example of the A7V tank, out of 20 made. It was captured by the 26th Batallion of the 7th Brigade during the Second Battle of Villers-Bretonneux. Mephisto was abandoned when it got stuck in a ditch, and some quick-thinking troops of the 26th were able to drag the vehicle back to their lines under heavy fire and poison gas - history is unclear whether tanks or gun carriers towed it back. It has unfortunately lost parts over time due to guests removing pieces from it.

It's a sign of the times for its era. The First World War signalled the end of bayonet charges and trenches and ushered in an era of rapid, sweeping offensives and massive use of machinery especially in the late years.

The A7V is no exception to the rule.

That said, Mephisto is the last survivor of the A7Vs, and that "last man standing" situation gives it a Cool in my eyes.

So few produced that there were more captured French and British tanks under German command than there were German made tanks. That would make it SU but it is something I would stare at for hours which makes it cool.

What do I vote?

Back