GTP Band Room: The General Musical Instrument ThreadMusic 

Canada
Canada
photonrider
I used to have a whole bunch of instruments - a piano, various synths, rows of guitars, tons of drums, trombone, trumpet, clarinet. . . .
I've been de-cluttering steadily as I age, and since I don't record or jam as much as I used to when I was younger, the instruments kept running away to other more kind homes.
Now I'm left with a trio of guitars, a trumpet, a bunch of harmonicas and a lonely set of bongos. There's a tambourine somewhere.
And this set of flutes:

Flutes_zpsf6milwhf.jpg

From top to bottom: A bamboo side flute from Sri Lanka gifted to me by a friend who visited there, a piccolo sent to me by a friend who lives in California, and a flute from an indigenous village deep here in Canada.

They all sound immensely different and are a joy to play, the bamboo flute so husky and mysterious, the piccolo thrills, and the indigenous flute is so mellow, from somber to joyful.

Recently, now that I'm more settled, a lot less cluttered, and starting to jam on and off with musical mates from the past who are in the same stream, I'm thinking of adding to my selection of instruments again.
So yeah, send me a flute, okay?
I'm kidding, of course. I'll work on that selection of flutes from all over the world on my own.

What instruments do you own yourself?
How did you come by them? Do you play often? Where?
Are you into one instrument or several?

Are you into brass or woodwind? Strings or percussion?
Let's discuss this.

Are you building an instrument? Show us.
Are you the type that knows how to repair a broken glockenspiel? Stand by - we might get that question.

Maybe you don't have a single instrument.
There's a story that the Beatles once used a comb and some foil as a musical instrument - that was a long time before smart phones became our main instrument.
But, I'm sure, even smart phones can't take away the love people have for musical instruments of one sort or another - I got friends who are a bassoonist, several with saxes or accordions, and one who (the only one I know) plays the kind of mean Jews Harp that makes you want to cry.
Still to get to know someone with a set of bagpipes, though - seen several, but always played by strangers at some ceremony.
A musical instrument is a wonderful thing, an ancient hand-me-down idea always with us to help express the song within us.

Let's bring all those instruments in here, and look at them and discuss them in every which way possible.

What's in your case?

So many questions @photonrider !!! :cheers:

Only answers i have:

When my brothers all get together we rock on guitars and whatever drums we can find :)

They are way better than me :drool: I have
recordings of them that I listen to often.

We seem to gravitate toward Yamaha acoustics. But will play anything to make some music.

Lil bro's new/used guitar

20180407_031254.jpg

So many questions @photonrider !!! :cheers:

Haha . . . yes . . . always photonrider with the questions.
Lovely guitar, clean beautiful lines - and I have a soft spot for Yamaha.
I think my first sight of a DX is what did it, but I have also played Yamaha drums . . . wow. What quality. And as I had mentioned in the 'Guitar' thread my venerable 12-stringer is a Yam - so I still have one Yam left in the pile.

This little stick of dynamite can create a pretty loud noise:

bluesband_zps2pk3ustv.jpg

Quite often I throw it into a pocket when heading out and all I have to do is spot some of the neighbourhood kids to become an instead Pied Piper. There's no doubt that before a cellphone is slapped into their palms children automatically are attracted to and take to musical instruments of any sort.

Last edited:
One of the first synths I had that had a MIDI out - sold it off at a yard sale the neighbourhood organized. Bought it for around CDN $800.00 in the very late 80s, sold for CDN$ 100.00 in the early 2010s. Keyboards were falling heavily in price, they were getting more advanced, and I was into a de-clutter because of growing kids and surplus goods.
I had spend hundreds upon hundreds of hours with this machine.
Couldn't find a pic of my own (I think I have hard copy somewhere taken with a non-digital SLR) so I grabbed this off the 'net as an example.

pssjpg_zpsexe57sqo.jpg

I actually miss it now. It was an entire orchestra and recording/mixing mini-studio in one.
Actually have been thinking about looking at another one on the same lines of what it offered - maybe a 2020 model.

Back