Poll 1354:1903-1904 Ford Model A nominated by @Volksauto
1903FordModelA_08.jpg

Body Style: 2-passenger runabout, 4-passenger rear entrance tonneau
Engine: 1.7L Flat-2, 2.0L Flat-2
Power: 8-10 HP
Weight: 1,240 lbs. (562 kg.)
Transmission: 2-speed planetary
Drive train: mid engine, rear-wheel drive
Henry Ford's first attempt at creating an automotive manufacturing company was the Henry Ford Company founded in 1901. This became the Cadillac Motor Company after leaving with the rights to his name. He then founded the Ford Motor Company in 1903.
FoMoCo's first car was the Model A. It was intended to compete with the more popular and successful Oldsmobile Curved Dash. The Model A was $150 more than an Oldsmobile which lead to it not selling as well. The starting price was $750 for the 2-passenger runabout and $850 for the 4-seater tonneau with optional picnic/luggage baskets. Other options included headlamps, horn and brass trimmings for an additional $50. A rubber roof could be ordered for $30 or $50 for a leather roof. The Ford Model A featured rear mechanical band brakes and a planetary style transmission with chain drive. The car could reach speeds between 28 and 30 miles per hour.
Ford built 650 cars in 1903 but production for the Model A would continue the following year. Ford had increased it's lineup for 1904. The Model B and Model C were introduced. The Model B was Ford's first front engine car and the Model C was more entry level. The 1904 Model A used the larger and more powerful engine from the Model C and was called the Model AC.
By the end of 1904, Model A production ended. Ford produced 1,750 Model As and would introduce new models down the alphabet until the famed Model T was introduced in 1908.
03-Ford-Model-A_DV-17-AI-001.jpg

ford-model-a-tonneau-side-0-472300.jpg

178647_Rear_3-4_Web.jpg

1904-Ford-Model-AC-Rick-Lindner.jpg

178647_Interior_Web.jpg

Interesting early Ford, predating the innovations Henry Ford brought along with the Model T. I like prewar cars but ones from during/before the brass era don't get me as much, so I'll go low cool here, if for nothing other than the historical value of being the "first" Ford.

Certainly an interesting and important bit of automotive history. But would you look cool driving one?

Of course! Why wouldn't you? I mean, this thing has more life and personality than most of today's cars.

It's a Subzero for me, no question about it.

I feel like I would seriously disrespect this car if I fail to acknowledge its importance to the automotive industry. Okay- so it isn't powerful. So it isn't capable of 200+ mph top speed. So it doesn't have trick technology. So it doesn't have an aerodynamic body. Fact is- just about every car produced after this would have never happened or never be improved upon without this car. Maybe this was not the first car ever produced, but it has helped contribute to the modern automobile we know and love today. It is a trail blazer. To me, there's only one choice for this car- Sub-Zero.

Sub-zero. Without hesitation. How could it be anything else? However terrible it might be as a car it's still brilliant and part of every modern car's DNA.

I dunno about this one. When you see representations of cars from this era in (more) modern media they often come across as loud, unreliable and uncomfortable. No safety features, little protection from the elements, the list goes on. Cars like this certainly revolutionized travel between towns and cities but at this point were still mostly inaccessible to the masses. It wasn't until after the Model T and the assembly line that cars became more easily accessible.

I think I'll settle for uncool here. There's nothing particularly cool about driving a noisy and uncomfortable carriage around nowadays. Well, not that you could anywho because they probably aren't road legal anywhere.

Well, not that you could anywho because they probably aren't road legal anywhere.
As long as the vehicle meets the regulations of the year it was registered, the vehicle can be licensed and driven in traffic in most cases.

Last edited:
I'm too late to vote. I'd have gone for Sub-Zero. Imagine driving this car in the summer. I'm pretty sure it is a head-turner.

Back