Nii916
1919-1924 AV Monocar nominated by @Adamgp
17107.jpg

Engines:
1.1L J.A.P. air-cooled V-twin
Power: 5-8 hp
Torque: Unknown
Weight: 250 kg
Transmission: 2-speed epicyclic with foot operated gear change, 3-speed Sturmey-Archer
Drivetrain: Rear engine, rear wheel drive
Body Styles: 1-seat cyclecar
Additional Info: "Performance specs unlisted, but one nut managed to top his out at 75mph at Brooklands race track in England back in the 1920's."​
1024px-1919AVMonocar.jpg

1194272.jpg

1919-av-monocar-front.jpg

3687824973_470b9cca7f_b.jpg

_1408711452_resized_80th_anniv_vscc-_cyclecars_010sm.jpg

"Scratches head while looking at the car's photos"

Hum...

Well, it is unique, I'll give it that. Having the engine behind your back is a bit dangerous, even if it is a motorbike engine. And it looks like a mini-torpedo, in more ways than one. Not really sure if I would want to drive one, but I'll give it a cool just out of novelty value. You don't see these every day...

You know, once I think about it, this thing looks utterly ridiculous.

Coolness is not defined by stopping to think about things.

The BAC Mono before it was cool.

I wonder what it was like to drive this thing. Even if the car only had 5hp, the low weight, skinny tyres and the highly rear-biased weight distribution seem like they would have made the car a handful at higher speeds.

This car is probably an even bigger death trap than the Scott Sociable that I nominated last time. Basically a streamlined coffin with skinny tires, terrible brakes, rearward weight bias, and a steering system that appears to be taken from a child's pedal car.

Sub Zero.

This car is probably an even bigger death trap than the Scott Sociable that I nominated last time.

Well, in terms of pedestrian safety, definitely. It's got some real kneecapping potential.

Hard for me to gauge coolness when it comes to cyclecars (with the exception of the original Morgan three-wheelers). Usually it's a mix of farce, audacity and vintage wonder. But this? This is more of a vintage wonder, and nothing less than cool will do.

*cough*

Last edited:
The whole thing looks like someone whacked a V twin on the rear of a child's pedal car. Absolutely ridiculous.

Sub-Zero.

Last edited:
Lol, about as refined as a soapbox derby car, and quite frankly looks like someone's shed car.... It probably was more that than a manufactured vehicle. All that aside, it's too nuts to be uncool.

That is awesome!

'3-speed Sturmey-Archer'... I had Sturmey-Archer' gears on one of my 1st push bikes... 40 years ago :D

SZ

Anybody who dared to drive that thing at 75 must have struggled to find space in that tiny cockpit for his massive balls.

I have no evidence whatsoever to prove it, but reading a comment like that immediately convinces me the driver was probably a woman.

What the hell is that?

Oh, come on. It had a 1.1L in an era where a 7L I4 was the sensible option! And it went faster than 75mph, back then that was, like, close to the speed of light! And look at its shape! It was a bullet with cycle fenders! If this car runs you over (or rather, through) at full speed, they'll have to glue you back in hell. It had one seat when you needed to bring a mechanic with you to change your spark plugs every 500 metres!

Goes without saying that it's sub-zero for me.

What the hell is that?

Oh, come on. It had a 1.1L in an era where a 7L I4 was the sensible option! And it went faster than 75mph, back then that was, like, close to the speed of light! And look at its shape! It was a bullet with cycle fenders! If this car runs you over (or rather, through) at full speed, they'll have to glue you back in hell. It had one seat when you needed to bring a mechanic with you to change your spark plugs every 500 metres!

Goes without saying that it's sub-zero for me.
Yeah, I voted Sub Zero. Because it's not quite like anything I've seen, and 75 mph is pretty fast for what it is.

I think a very easy cool, hard to know if it should be sub, so I didn't.

Who knows who of us will ever see this in real life, but if we did, we'd have to stop and say it's atleast cool.

Back