3-door minivan
Engine: 3.6L Ford flathead V8
Power: 90 hp
Torque: 144 ft-lbs
Weight: ~1500 kg
Transmission: 3-speed manual
Drivetrain: Rear-engine, rear wheel drive
Additional Information:
The Scarab's interior space was maximized by its ponton styling, which dispensed with running-boards and expanded the cabin to the full width of the car; a long wheelbase and engine placement directly over the rear axle — which moved the driver forward, enabling a steering wheel almost directly above the front wheels. Passengers entered through a single, large common door. A flexible seating system could be easily reconfigured, except for the driver's seat, which was fixed. Anticipating the seating in modern minivans, such as the Chrysler Voyager and Renault Espace, there was a small card table which could be fitted with the passenger seats as needed. Interiors were appointed in leather, chrome, and wood. Design elements also worked in a stylized ancient Egyptian "scarab" motif, including the car's emblem. Visibility to the front and sides was similar to that of an observation car, although rearward vision was negligible and there were no rear-view mirrors.

The innovations did not end with the car's layout and body design. In an era where almost everything on the road had rigid axles with leaf springs, the Scarab featured independent suspension using coil springs on all four corners, providing a smoother, quieter ride. The rear-engine-induced weight bias coupled to the coil spring suspension endowed the Scarab with very good handling and traction. The rear swing axle suspension with long coil spring struts was inspired by aircraft landing gear.The Scarab suspension itself inspired the later Chapman strut used by Lotus from their Lotus Twelve model of 1957.

The Ford flathead V8 drove the rear wheels via a custom Stout-built three-speed manual transaxle l. The engine was reversed from its normal position, mounted directly over the rear axle and with the flywheel and clutch facing forwards. The transmission was mounted ahead of this, reversing and lowering the drive-line back to the axle. This unusual layout would later be repeated by the Lamborghini Countach.

furman_scarabcover.jpg

7e37448d8b1ae77c2c52f989cb8d9f27.jpg

BN-JD612_0701my_J_20150629135822.jpg

scarabrear.jpg

img_0316.jpg

999d660e4e8d23b7ef126c332ae8fca9.jpg

This is indisputably stout in appearance.

I have to say, though, it's very cool for its '30s "this is what the future will look like honest" styling. Cool it is.

I feel guilty in saying that I wouldn't mind owning one.

I vaguely remember GTA 2 having a facsimile of this (the game was full of cars inspired by pre and post-war models), always amazed that such a thing actually existed back then. Didn't realise it was that forward thinking though!

Innovative ideas wrapped up in a strange, yet likeable body. Cool.

I vaguely remember GTA 2 having a facsimile of this (the game was full of cars inspired by pre and post-war models), always amazed that such a thing actually existed back then.

This was true for the most part.

IMG_7969.JPG

Somebody really wanted a Firebird in their game, I guess.

A Commodore Vanderbilt built for the road, or the 1930s Toyota Previa?

Obviously a smattering of both. Which balances out to Cool.

Quite a ugly thing for the 1930s but the odd quirks surrounding it makes it cool.

Man, a flathead in the rear? What does it run out of first, gasoline or coolant?
I've heard they actually ran cooler than what was optimal in all but the hottest climes due to increased airflow over the engine itself and that massive radiator.

Easily the most attractive backside of any vehicle I've ever seen. The front? Not so much...

SZ.

Back