2-door coupe, 2-door convertible
Engine: 1.0L I4, 1.1L I4
Power: 23-25hp
Torque: n/a
Weight: 725kg
Transmission: 4-speed manual
Drivetrain: rear-engine, rear-wheel drive
Top speed: 62mph
The split window Beetle is often recognized by it's unique rear window, small taillights and "W" shaped decklid. This is the original interpretation and design of the car.
Dr. Ferdinand Porsche is widely regarded as one of the most innovative automotive engineers. He designed the world's first hybrid car and designed Grand Prix racing cars for Auto Union and Mercedes-Benz such as the famous Type C.
In 1933, the German Chancellor ordered Porsche to design him a car to mobilize Germany for his KDF (Kraft Durch Freude) holiday program. A car supposedly for the people, a "Volkswagen".
The requirements given to Porsche in 1933 were as followed: A family car big enough to seat two adults and three children, must cost less than 1,000 Reich Marks, must travel @100 km/h for the new Autobahns, it's engine must be air-cooled to sustain the cold German winter temperatures, and the engine must be rear mounted for better traction in snow.
After many prototypes and testing, the final design of the car was unveiled to the public in May of 1938. The car was to be called the KDF-Wagen.
If somebody wanted to purchase a KDF of their own, they needed a special savings book and needed to collect stamps which were ordered monthly. Over 100,000 cars were ordered by 1939.
Germany invaded Poland later that year. Nobody ever received their cars and the whole Volkswagen project was a scheme to fund for military weapons.
The KDF's design however made it a perfect military vehicle. Dr. Porsche was ordered to design several military vehicles using the KDF chassis. He made the Jeep-like Kubelwagen and the amphibious Schwimmwagen.
But in 1945, allied bombers blew up 75% of the Volkswagen plant because it was a target for the assembly of many war weapons including the V1 Flying-Bomb.
World War II has ended. The Volkswagen seemed to have been a thing of the distant past. But is wasn't yet. British Major Ivan Hurst who was occupying Germany assessed the wreckage of the factory and found a few cars. The British military tested them and was pleased with the vehicles and it was exactly what they needed for transport. The factory was rebuilt with many of the presses still intact and the British army placed an order of 20,000 cars. Mass production of the Volkswagen finally began in March of 1946 where over 7,500 cars were built the first year and soon the car was finally available for public consumption.
Ivan Hurst handed over the factory to Heinz Nordhoff who would be the chairman of VW from 1948 to 1968.
Volkswagen started to export their models internationally including the United States in 1949 where they only sold two Beetles.
VW would continuously evolve the car year after year for many years to come.

The split window era VW Beetle is a reminder of VW's very unique story of a car designed by an automotive genius for a dictator's dream only to be nearly forgotten in war and then revived to become one of the world's most iconic and best selling cars.
tumblr_ppl1kzjlXz1ti77kbo1_500.jpg
baf566c1784ffbdb2ef9d3b212c5fa1b-gpMedium.jpg
dfbe4297adfe89074ceeae63de7553c0.jpg

Sub-zero. Not the only prototype of its kind and arguably the product of theft/espionage, born of a Nazi design brief, built under enemy occupation, and lots of other bad things... but it's an absolute icon of the free-wheelin' flip-side of the family car boom that became synonymous with symbols of peace despite such dark beginnings.

Not cool, never cool, and never will be cool.

Everyone thinks a beetle is precious until they get in one.

This one, I feel, serves as a few lessons:

Good design in its time =/= cool
Prolific and widespread =/= cool
Widely beloved and celebrated =/= cool

Its anemic air cooled engine delivers a sort of gurgling mess of propulsion. The driving experience of old beetles is characterless if it weren't for the frequent mechanical issues. It sits awkwardly, lumpy and ungainly, with the drag coefficient of a vehicle twice its size. Inside it's uncomfortable and its design brief would basically be executed with 100% more success some decades later with the Mini.

It's bad, unremarkable and uninteresting. I hate it, and it will never be cool.

There, I criticised the beetle without mentioning Hitler. Happy now?

But while I'm here...

Hitler car Hitler car Hitler car Hitler car Hitler car Hitler car

[Rated SU]

Low cool based on just the car, but becomes uncool when you get a passenger in. Siding on uncool for this one.

I can't think of another car that covers so many facets over such a long time period:

• Major influencer in the automotive industry both in the past and currently? Check
  • A cultural icon that arguably defines an entire generation? Check
  • This history nerds guilty pleasure, and an extremely easy target for some dark comedy? Check
  • An extremely capable, versatile vehicle that has found success in various racing categories? Check
  • Still has a loyal fanbase that doesn't completely suck? Check
  • Much more charming than it has any real right to be? Check
I can only give this a cool because I imagine driving a mint classic Beetle on today's roads would be....an experience.

Meh, a mint condition one while being a nice looking car is still uncool.

It's one of those cars that seem nice until you actually drive it, then it becomes pretty clear why it's uncool.
As I said a mint condition one would still catch my eye, but I wouldn't own one unless it was given to me.

How hasn't this been polled yet? Anyway, I understand how influential the car has been on the industry but the car itself is nothing special. Meh.

I still see few of these in my country or city. One guy I see at the gym still has one of those, although in bad state. I always liked these cars and they are not going away from my mindset. S-Z.

Not cool in the kind of ingeniously designed city car like the Mini or Fiat 500 and too common to have any sort of rarity coolness. Not weird-cool like any number of French oddities. It's air-cooled, which is kind of cool I guess. I don't know. I don't really find them cool. They aren't uncool though. Pretty meh.

On the one hand, it’s an automotive icon.

On the other hand, Hitler.

Tough call this one.

Too Nazi looking.

Although... the USA, Britain, Canada and other countries were queuing up to sell the tools of industrialisation to Germany at the time. The first Barenyi design is from 1925 and had nothing to do with Hitler or the Reichsautobahn project - Ferdinand Porsche worked up the designs in response to Hitler's appeal to industry for a cheap, simple car. Porsche's final (pre-war) design for this Kdf-Wagen wasn't completed until production emphasis had shifted to military vehicles. When this was finally built in numbers as a car it was a British project.

Rather than concentrate solely on Hitler's plans for public mobility (the best part of his plans by a looooong way) and the we should concentrate on this car's place in the history of culture, society and automobile.

Barenyi's design of 1925

Bela_Barenyi_der_Lebensretter.jpg

Everyone thinks a beetle is precious until they get in one.

The driving experience of old beetles is characterless if it weren't for the frequent mechanical issues.

It's one of those cars that seem nice until you actually drive it, then it becomes pretty clear why it's uncool.

So.. You have driven them? Follow up question, what year? Early model or late model with plastic interior?

My 59 nearly took me off the road at 40 mph in the rain a few years ago. A great drivers' car it ain't, but characterless it ain't either.

It's also widely believed that Porsche also heavily copied design tips from the Chrysler/DeSoto Airflow after importing one into Germany.

The timeline makes it seem unlikely and (as far as I'm aware) there are no sources for that import ever happening.

The timeline makes it seem unlikely and (as far as I'm aware) there are no sources for that import ever happening.
I'm not sure it’s true but it’s rumored in multiple sources that Porsche took inspiration from American cars.

I'm not sure it’s true but it’s rumored in multiple sources that Porsche took inspiration from American cars.

While there are also clear sources for highly similar designs already existing in Germany and Czechoslovakia, and Porsche having access to them. The Airflow was pretty much a one-off in American design, didn't suit their market and didn't do fantastically well (to put it mildly). Given the timeline it seems more likely that Chrysler designers were inspired by Czech and German work than vice-versa.

Back