1955-Volkswagen-Beetle-22

Body Style:
2-door coupe, 2-door convertible
Engine: 1.1L Flat-4, 1.2L Flat-4
Power: 25-36 HP
Weight: 1,600 lbs. (725 kg.)
Transmission: 4-speed manual
Drive train: rear engine, rear-wheel drive
The first noticeable design change for the Volkswagen Beetle began in March of 1953. The two-piece split rear window was replaced with a one piece curved glass giving this era of Bugs the nickname 'Oval Window'. By this time VW was producing over 100,000 cars annually.
In 1954, the engine's displacement increased from 1131 to 1192cc and horsepower increased to 36 allowing the car to cruise at a higher top speed. Annual changes were just the beginning. The one millionth Beetle was built in 1955 and Volkswagen was exporting in almost eighty countries. By 1956, VW accounted for 65% of all imported cars in the United States and sold over 50,000 in 1957. VW's advertisements and brochures of the 1950s really emphasized the car's curves and lines promoting the idea that it's European styling was "attractive and state of the art".
"There is no longer any doubt about it," said Road & Track in October 1956. "Dr. Ferdinand Porsche's little 'people's car' has done what no other [import] has ever been able to do: it has gained an unmistakable wheel-hold in the garages and hearts of the American car-buying public . . . . The only mystery is: how did it happen? Especially with practically no national advertising? Of the various explanations, probably the simplest is that the Volkswagen fulfills a need which Detroit had forgotten . . . a car that is cheap to buy and run, small and compact, light and maneuverable yet solidly constructed, and perhaps above all, utterly dependable and trouble-free."
The fifties oval era Beetle has been a very sought after VW in the recent years.
1954_volkswagen_beetle-pic-32551-640x480.jpeg

unnamed-2.jpg

1954_volkswagen_beetle_16040859853ab7bdf0d6c5113.jpg

00f3c3ea1346f4d3adbbebd563fd0a62.jpg

Volkswagen-Beetle-12.jpg

Last edited:
EASY Sub-Zero for me. This car is so iconic in so many ways and still loved even to this day. "Cool" or less would be disrespect in my view.

I've driven a number of Beetles, including the "SuperBeetle".

They were all terrible, unsafe cars, aptly derided as "Hitler's Revenge". You needed a valve adjustment every 90 days.

That said, they were a breath of fresh air in the milieu of Detroit Iron, and they sold like hotcakes. Somewhat fun to drive, and they were counterculture. So cool.

Last edited:
Meh. I'm a big window guy. That said, I'd probably rate a stock big window car just the same.

As an aside, I'd swear I've seen that dark green car--the third one down in the spoiler box. That color, the Empi 190s...it looks so familiar.

Even if I prefer other cheap and iconic cars from that time period, it's still a classic and it's iconic.
High cool, if it was the split window one it would be even better

When I see a beautiful restored Beetle from the sixties, my eyes go like this :eek:.

Sub-Zero.

Back