1954-kaiser-darrin-161-roadster-front.jpg

Body Style: 2dr roadster
Engine: 2.6L Willys F-head 6
Power: 90 hp
Torque: 127 lb-ft
Weight: 987 kg
Transmission: 3-speed manual with overdrive
Drivetrain: FR
Additional Info: First fiberglass-bodied American car (project predates the Corvette) - 435 produced - Designed by Howard Darrin, who also funded the prototype himself - Henry J. Kaiser initially wanted nothing to do with sports cars, refused to make this until his wife pursuaded him to do so - Sales were slow due to high price and low performance - Snowstorm at factory destroyed 50 units, Kaiser scrapped the project - Darrin bought the few remaining Darrins, outfitted them with 300 hp Cadillac V8s
1954-Kaiser-Darrin-1.png

1954-Kaiser-Darrin-6.png

s-l1600-18-1.jpg

This is a solid SZ from me, as I tend to love weird '50s cars. The jet-age looks are always fascinating but oftentimes the strangest and wildest uses of the styles were relegated to concept cars. While this one might not be as wild as many concept cars from later in the decade, this one did make it to production. It has an interesting story behind it, interesting looks, interesting features, and the only thing it lacked was the power to go with it all. The Cadillac-engined examples from later on remedied that too.

Also, seeing as how this is my first CW post as curator, if there's anything I did wrong with the poll or something, tell me. Opening it for 14 days instead of the usual 10 was intentional, to see if I can rake in a few more votes in the extra time, but any inconsistencies other than that, please tell me.

It has a few nice design touches and the interior is great, but overall it's a bit flabby and ungainly. Not how a sports car should appear. Uncool.

As much as I love the quirkiness that always comes with early '50s vehicles, I just can't get over how awkward the overall proportions are. The rear fenders are bulky and don't flow into the doors very well, and while it's really neat how those doors work the way they do, that also makes the front half look comically long. And given how cramped that lovely looking interior is, I have to wonder just how much wasted empty space there is in the engine bay. If this has a Willys inline six, which was also used in the Jeepster, then it definitely doesn't need that much real estate. (I bet the retrofitted Caddy V8's liked having the extra space though...)

Interestingly though, with the top up many of the negatives almost balance out a bit. Shame there's no actual hardtop version of this car for comparison. I have to give this one a Meh, not because of disinterest but because overall the negatives kind of outweigh the positives visually for me.

(also the tiny puckered grille makes it look like a goldfish from the front, or maybe like it's going to spit tobacco juice at someone's face)

Gets a cool vote from me. I love how the doors slide into the body. And I guess I just love ungainly and awkward vehicles. I think the body looks pretty nice.

Back