Wiegert

Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
1956-1958 Lotus Eleven nominated by @Stephan

9_2563.jpg

Body Style:
2-door roadster
Engine: 1.1L Coventry-Climax FWA SOHC I4, 1.2L Ford I4, 1.5L Coventry-Climax DOHC I4
Power: 83 hp (Coventry-Climax FWA), 36 hp (Ford), 100 hp (Coventry Climax 1500 cc)
Torque: 63-92 ft-lbs
Weight: 412 kg
Transmission: BMC 4-speed manual, Ford-3 speed manual
Drivetrain: Front-engine, rear-wheel drive​

18s3l8i9cwnu2jpg.jpg

19_253_10.jpg
9131661-1-21.jpg
151106_SF138-1030x687.jpg
65lotus11-rear-800.jpg
9131661-1-16.jpgtmpheadlinetop0left0right1bottom1fillautoangle0.jpg

9-slideshow.jpg

A classic lightweight Lotus race car for the road, and it looks brilliant, not much more needs to be said really.

Sub-Zero

Looks like something a hypermiler would drive.

:lol: What a sleek, 50's racer, not all designed with economy in mind, as opposed to your usual small frugal hatchback/city-car etc. that a hyper-miler would drive.

If I saw/knew someone hyper-miling a Lotus Eleven they'd get my appreciation for even trying :lol:.

:lol: What a sleek, 50's racer, not all designed with economy in mind, as opposed to your usual small frugal hatchback/city-car etc. that a hyper-miler would drive.

If I saw/knew someone hyper-miling a Lotus Eleven they'd get my appreciation for even trying :lol:.
It reminds me if those DIY aero modifications that some people do to their cars. I'm honestly curious what kind of mileage it would get. :lol:

It reminds me if those DIY aero modifications that some people do to their cars. I'm honestly curious what kind of mileage it would get. :lol:

Each to their own I guess :lol:. The Eleven is far too cool to be seen as a hyper-miler in my books, but anyway, despite being light, and somewhat slippery, can't imagine it'd be that economical.

Given it's gearing would be short, and any of the engines it came with being setup up for road racing and not really economy driving. Plus the 36bhp 1.2 Ford unit for example would have to be worked even harder than the 2 Cooper-Climax units, given it's low power. Mind you, would an interesting experience to even try :lol:.

Last edited:
I dunno, 412kg. It's -300kg lighter than my 54hp Charade.

Maybe, but you've got to remember that the Eleven is what, 40+ years older than the Charade, and either of the 3 engines it had over it's lifetime were the epitome of efficiency, economy and technology then, let alone now. Mind you given it's low weight and slippery nature, it might not be too bad. Certainly better than a bigger, gas-guzzling car of the period, like some yank tank.

But hey, that's not what the Eleven's about, is economy.

Defo Sub Zero for me.

This and the Jaguar D Type are my favorite British classic cars.

I can imagine these driven by cheery old chaps who could raconteur with many a borderline non-PC tale of chasing women and hi-jinx with a chap called Buster. Those guys are cool.

High cool.

With the 1500 Coventry Climax I4 @100hp ...you'd get pretty decent economy.

Subzero

It's the sort of car that random people who know nothing about cars point at and say "cool". I doubt they'd say it's gorgeous, however. The other day a D-Type (or more likely a high quality D-Type replica) drove past where I happened to be and people all around were visibly (and audibly) in awe of it. This isn't quite on that level.

Back