1024px-1957_Rambler_Rebel_interior.JPG

1957_Rambler_Rebel_front.JPG

image_425.jpg

4322860596_1467444ca8_b.jpg

57rebel.jpg

4701364552_deae8d9fed_b.jpg

Rambler-Rebel-1957.jpg

628x471.jpg

This one's new on me, and in its day must surely have been seen as a bit of a carbuncle (shades of the Safety Car), but now looks quirky and interesting. Lack of central pillars is cool too. That's a Cool then.

Can't say it's one of the best looking cars from the 1950s really but it gets a low cool from me.

The greenhouse proportions are... disturbing to say the least. No ounce of grace about the Hudson on which this is based and it's hard to imagine that the '57 Rebel was one of the real forerunners to out and out muscle cars.

A curious '50s sleeper. Calling it cool would be a stretch though.

Last edited:
High Meh, but Meh nonetheless. Just a bit too awkward, and not in a kitschy way.

This car looks kinda awkward... It isn't cool, but it isn't uncool either because it has a bit of class and the pillerless design is curious. But it isn't vanilla for a meh. But it's a Meh, I have no other vote for it.

Uncommonly fast for the times. Wanna see my B-pillar disappear? Rather ugly and dispropertionately-styled for any decade. That rear roofline turns the quirky aspect of the rest of the car into homely and imbalanced territory; to be fair, fastback designs wouldn't show up in design studios for another decade, but it sure didn't do itself any favors with a longer trunk area than hood. It always looks like it's rolling backwards up a gravity hill.

I don't want to put it in the Meh Zone, but I think I'll catch some weird disease if I look at it much longer.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back