GTP Cool Wall: 1961-1969 Lincoln Continental (4th generation)

1961-1969 Lincoln Continental Mk IV

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
United States
Orange County, NY
GTP_GT916
Nii916
1961-1969 Lincoln Continental (4th generation) nominated by @Eunos_Cosmo
acc86de4dd18dd3fb784dd2b0b0d2755%201_zpsjbukaxge.jpg

Engines:
430 ci (7.0L) V8 (Ford MEL), 460 ci (7.5L) V8 (Ford 385), 462 ci (7.6L) V8 (Ford MEL)
Power: 320-340 hp
Torque: 465-485 lb-ft.
Weight: 2300 kg
Transmission: 3-speed automatic
Drivetrain: Front engine, rear wheel drive
Body Styles: 4-door sedan, 2-door hardtop, 4-door convertible
Additional Info: "The Magnum Opus of designer Elwood Engel. Suicide Doors. The emphatically slab-sided 4th generation Lincoln Continental defined the land-yacht American luxury cars of the late 1950s through mid 1970s. Heavy, powerful, and with no pretense of sporting intentions, the Continental's purpose was to cruise in absolute comfort and style. From appearances in James Bond films to the Matrix, the Continental has a pretty strong foothold in popular culture. Of course the Conti will always be most famous for being the vehicle in which John F Kennedy was assassinated."​

1962_Lincoln_Continental_Bubbletop_Kennedy_Limousine_001_1396_zpsol8fkfns.jpg

JFKlimo_01_1500_zpsmue7kmdb.jpg

1280px-Lincoln_Continental_Convertible_%28Les_chauds_vendredis_%2710%29.jpg

CC-182-045-1200.jpg

0_lincoln_011.jpg

87802177.JEFXHU6Y.DSCN1957640.jpg

Curator's Comments: Read this before you ask me why the poll has a different title from the nomination and the thread.

Last edited:
I so want to give it an SZ but it has a 7.0 V8 which only makes 350HP and Is heavy as hell. And has a 3 speed gearbox. Going to give it SU

Somehow, it still manages to be cool even after D. L. Hughley voiced one of the most irritating movie vehicles of all time.

Of course the Conti will always be most famous for being the vehicle in which John F Kennedy was assassinated.

Not exactly a good thing. That would be like saying the Carrera GT would be famous for being the car in which Paul Walker was killed.

Uncool.

Not exactly a good thing. That would be like saying the Carrera GT would be famous for being the car in which Paul Walker was killed.

Uncool.
Didn't hurt the 550 Spyder too much. The car itself so perfectly represented the Kennedy administration, including his death, that it is one of the big reasons they are inseparable in the public consciousness.

Put another way, Nixon (by all standards Kennedy's polar opposite) personally owned one of these:
1984_Chrysler_Executive_Sedan_11.jpg

And he wasn't assassinated in it. Does that make it cooler?

Last edited:
That's not a Continental Mk IV...

When I nominated it, I should have wrote Lincoln Continental (4th generation) instead of Mk IV. For those not steeped in Ford history, the car actually named the Continental Mk IV was this:

1280px-1975_Lincoln_Continental_Mk_IV_Coupe.jpg

I'm still always a bit confused by the designations of the Continental Mark vs Lincoln Continental.

No Lincolns since then has ever matched the presence that this Continental shows.

SZ.

High cool with the top down.

High cool with the top up.

High cool with a roof.

High cool it is.

Back