• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
United States
United States
Poll 1296: 1962-1965 AC/Shelby Cobra 260/289 nominated by @Volksauto
0cdc87a760aef10f8465122835b99d7c206208d8.jpg

Body Style: 2-seater roadster
Engines: 260ci. ( 4.3L) V8 / 289ci. ( 4.7 L) V8
Power: 260 HP / 271 HP (special models may vary)
Weight: 2,121 lbs. (962 kg.) / 2,271 lbs. (1,030 kg.)
Transmission: 4-speed manual
Drive train: front engine, rear-wheel drive
AC Cars was building their Ace roadster using Bristol's inline 6 engine. The engine was designed by BMW before WWII and the engine was considered outdated by the early 1960s. Bristol discontinued production of the engine and AC was no longer supplied with engines to put in it's Ace so AC started using the 2.6L motors from Ford Zephyrs.
AC received a letter from retired racing driver, Carroll Shelby in September 1961 asking if they could modify the Ace to accept a small block V8. Shelby wanted to create his own sports car that had a powerful American powerplant in very light compact body. He quoted, "...the longer I went on racing and was around the limited-production factories in Europe, the more I realized that America was missing a big bet, a winning bet...that winning bet I'm talking about was the design and production of an all-purpose, all-American sports or grand touring car that you could drive to market and also race during the weekend..."
AC agreed since Bristol stopped supplying them with motors. Shelby asked Chevrolet if they were interested to supply him with their small block engines. Chevy denied Shelby to avoid adding competition for the Corvette. However Ford wanted a competitor for the Corvette so they agreed to supply Shelby with two of their new 3.6L (221ci.) Windsor V8s.
AC built a prototype fitting an Ace with one of the Ford 3.6L engines. The car was named the "AC Ace 3.6" and was designated with chassis number CSX2000. After some testing, the car's engine and transmission were removed and the car was sent from England to Dean Moon's speed shop in Santa Fe Springs California. Shelby's team paired a transmission with the engine which the displacement was increased to 4.3L (260 ci.) and did further testing. This car became the first Cobra.
Production started with chassis CSX2001. AC built and trimmed the bodies and the cars would be sent to Shelby American to be fitted with the drivetrain and the cars were sold both in the U.K and the U.S.
The Cobra soon became a legend on and off the track. Shelby developed the streamlined Daytona Coupe to compete at Le Mans and soon developed the famous 427 Cobra and completely redesigned the car.
The 260/289 Cobra was the start of something big. The brainchild of a Texas chicken farmer's idea of a perfect performance car.
RM-Amelia-2015-Preview-1963-Shelby-289-Cobra.gif

ShelbyCobra_01_1200.jpg

ej00red.jpg

10-1.jpg

shelby-cobra-bondurant-edition.jpg

1de2e3ae09c1bc1d00757e457e5c462e.jpg

Its history speaks for itself, really. Just barely misses SZ with me because I feel its successors were better, but it's about as high of a Cool as a car can possibly get.

The 289's were the game changer motorsport wise. The 427's were obsolete (on the international stage, if not domestically) before they even arrived.

Last edited:
I'm oddly fond of Cobras. The Ace was a pretty car and the bulges and flares that make it a Cobra don't spoil it (and they really could have). Impressively quick too. SZ.

I'm not going to use initials, this car is too good for that: Sub-Zero.

The Shelby Cobra 427 is even more cooler.

Sub-Zero. Sub-🤬-zero. This is one of my all-time favorite cars and hasn't aged one bit. You'll easily capture my heart with this car by making it blue with white stripes. Even great as my fellow Texan, the late Carroll Shelby, has one a stat I don't think anyone else will match today- winning the 24 Hours of Le Mans as a racer, a manufacturer, and as a team owner. I mean... I can't think of anything to knock this car down to "Cool" or worse. So make my call Sub-Zero.

SZ, even if it isn't as mental as the 427, it's still has an iconic shape and it is quite fast indeed.

Back