dsc_0442.jpg.jpg

Body Style: 2-door fastback coupé or convertible
Engines: 3.5L or 4.9L Buick V8
Power: 225-250 hp
Torque: 335 lb-ft
Weight: 1030-1150 kg
Transmission: 4-speed manual, 3-speed automatic
Drivetrain: Front-engine, rear-wheel drive
Additional Information: This car was born out of an American engineer's desire to build cars to rival European GT cars of its time among the likes of Aston Martin and Ferrari. Milt Brown (the American engineer in question) made an agreement with coachbuilder and tuner Frank Reisner to build bodies for his car. Production was sporadic and ultimately led to less than 90 examples being built by multiple nameplates due to funding issues.​

1042121-620x413.jpg

124214.jpg

2f4b834ed4854c477168bd67ab23c518.jpg

Apollo-GT-Coupe-1.jpg

It's like a bad kit car that didn't know if it wanted to be an E-Type or a 330GT, so it ended up being both. I henceforth give it a meh.

If something is true, it's that the US will never be able to rival the EU in terms of style or quality.
It still gets a cool for being something unique within the US at the time.

1962-1965 Apollo GT nominated by @ThrasherDBS

View attachment 662532

Body Style: 2-door fastback coupé or convertible
Engines: 3.5L or 4.9L Buick V8
Power: 225-250 hp
Torque: 335 lb-ft
Weight: 1030-1150 kg
Transmission: 4-speed manual, 3-speed automatic
Drivetrain: Front-engine, rear-wheel drive
Additional Information: This car was born out of an American engineer's desire to build cars to rival European GT cars of its time among the likes of Aston Martin and Ferrari. Milt Brown (the American engineer in question) made an agreement with coachbuilder and tuner Frank Reisner to build bodies for his car. Production was sporadic and ultimately led to less than 90 examples being built by multiple nameplates due to funding issues.​

1042121-620x413.jpg

124214.jpg

2f4b834ed4854c477168bd67ab23c518.jpg

Apollo-GT-Coupe-1.jpg
The OP pic makes it look too high. Probably a different suspension set up.

It apes the styling of the contemporary European equivalents and has similar on paper specs, and with that drivetrain it will ape the reliability as well!

I have a feeling that the less-cultured might confuse this car with

0013gumpertapollocarreview.jpg

or

latest

when two people who are zealous about obscure vehicles bring up 'Apollo' in a conversation.

I don't mean to make fun of the 'less-cultured,' but I reckon that I'd say this car is uncool just for that.

It's alright, it wasn't ugly, but it certainly isn't stunning, quite forgettable on the whole, and it would never really rival per say, a comparable European or even Japanese sports car from the era to be honest, in terms of overall quality and what not.

In the end I gave it a meh, mainly because it's an obscure "lesser known" Sports car, as apposed to being uncool.

A '60s paint-by-numbers design, though I wouldn't say it looked "cheap" because of it. Also much better without the roof even if there isn't much of a wow factor with either version.

Cool-ish.

It's an obscure piece of automotive history, and also a rear wheel drive V8 coupe. That's enough to tip it into Cool territory for me.

I dunno. It ticks all the cool boxes to me, 2-door, wire wheels, V8, RWD, classic, good looks. It's cool.

Posted one in the American cars thread recently after seeing that Herbie was airing on TV. Didn't actually see the car at that moment, but it's a bit of the movie that sticks out in my head. Why is the car so much more attractive in the movie than it is in real life? Maybe the striping...

Cool because it's a relatively uncommon American use of that engine.

Back