Drivetrain: Rear engine, rear wheel drive
Body Styles: 2-door roadster
Additional Info: "First production car with a wankel engine."​
NSU-Wankel-Spider-Lenkrad-Cockpit-Radio-fotoshowImage-968887b4-661368.jpg

SE47-dR1-NSU-Wankel-Engine-Bay_0151.jpg

nsu-wankel-spider-1964-autostadt-358687.jpg

nsu-wankel-spider-1964-autostadt-358685.jpg

PFEFFERLE%20Karsten,%20NSU,%20Wankel-Spider,%201966,%201,%2070,%20500.jpg

Ah, the Wankel Roadster... I find these things delightful, even if they were not much more than mere test beds for the Wankel engine. It's not even that badly-designed in my eyes, it's a very cheerful set of lines. Of course, living with a Wankel engine is the hardest part of the ownership of a Wankel Roadster, but it's better to do it now that technology is more advanced (and more capable to deal with these sort of issues) than try to live it in a time where the Wankel technology was pretty much unheard of.

I'd love to have a simple trip with this, just taking it slowly and enjoying the drive. It's a cool car.

What's up with the +ve camber on the front wheels?

Low cool for it's novelty value.

Lovely little thing, right up my alley. High cool.
What's up with the +ve camber on the front wheels?
lolwut.jpg

Anyway, the positive camber is probably due to the nature of it's suspension (note the aggressive negative camber under cornering load)

I'm guessing that they've got it jacked up and supported by the chassis for museum display.

If you took time to look at the pictures before posting you would see 'WUT' I meant..

proxy.php
My 'LOLWUT' was in response to what I bolded (+ve) when quoting your comment, and under the image I posted I explained the likely reason for the positive camber in that image and the negative camber seen in the image of the white car. Sorry I didn't make that more apparent, my fault, I just got a kick out of your abbreviation.

Wankel rotary. Engines supposedly lasted 10,000 miles before needing a rebuild/replacement.

SU.

Solid cool. Rotary engine + Alfa-esque body shape + first production car with a rotary engine gives it a VERY high cool.

Back